Rents received in the P&L ??
A property management limited company derives rents from commercial clients in two scenario's :
1) lease agreement between company and clients and between company and landlord
2) lease agreement between landlord and clients
In (2) above the company is simply collecting the rents on behalf of the landlord and paying this straight across. Sometimes a surplus is retained a surplus on rents collected but essentially the company charges the clients an admin/mgt fee for this facility.
In (1) above the company charges the clients rent receivable in excess rents payable to the landlord under there own arrangement/lease agreement. An admin/mgt fee may or may not be charged in addition but fundamentally the profit is derived from the net surplus rents received.
The question therefore is how should this be displayed in the P&L ?? I am assuming that in (2) the income is not reported in the P&L as it is technically not trading income of the company, however in the event of a net surplus can this be combined with the rents received in (1) or are they required to be reported separately in the P&L ??
Note that I am NOT netting-off the rents receivable and payable derived from (1), as this I consider to be trading income and cost of sales of the company.
A little bit complex but hopefully I have made myself clear.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 518 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 199 3
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 499 15
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,057 11
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 330 11
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 323 6
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 258 6
- Potentially dodgy client 292 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 545 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 434 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 395 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 508 23
- Do I need to pay my accountant 638 8
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 191 6
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 331 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 670 8
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 149 2
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 170 3
- Lloyds bank ... 465 6
- Limited company buying a car 269 5
- CTA study material 780
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 416
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 263
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 199
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 150