Rents received in the P&L ??
A property management limited company derives rents from commercial clients in two scenario's :
1) lease agreement between company and clients and between company and landlord
2) lease agreement between landlord and clients
In (2) above the company is simply collecting the rents on behalf of the landlord and paying this straight across. Sometimes a surplus is retained a surplus on rents collected but essentially the company charges the clients an admin/mgt fee for this facility.
In (1) above the company charges the clients rent receivable in excess rents payable to the landlord under there own arrangement/lease agreement. An admin/mgt fee may or may not be charged in addition but fundamentally the profit is derived from the net surplus rents received.
The question therefore is how should this be displayed in the P&L ?? I am assuming that in (2) the income is not reported in the P&L as it is technically not trading income of the company, however in the event of a net surplus can this be combined with the rents received in (1) or are they required to be reported separately in the P&L ??
Note that I am NOT netting-off the rents receivable and payable derived from (1), as this I consider to be trading income and cost of sales of the company.
A little bit complex but hopefully I have made myself clear.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
- Any Scottish members out there? 4,169 132
- How do I account for trees?! 67 1
- Foreign Dividends - tax repayment claim 473 17
- P11d Van - no private use 362 11
- Expanding To UK From USA 70 1
- German VAT charged by US Supplier 220 5
- Shadow director or alternative? 146 1
- Abbreviated Accounts 300 4
- Accountancy fee tax return 486 6
- Employee who reports their PAYE themselves to HMRC - Am i liable for Employer NI 269 1
- SSP recovered on directors salary 247 5
- I had a baby! Small practice recruitment - where would you look? 360 2
- Computerised Accountancy Software 253 1
- Standard 'email' template system 296 5
- HMRC Enquiry re interest paid 411 7
- Being Tax relevant 206 2
- Help with Mortgage Application? 360 5
- FRS VAT bad debt relief? 467 12
- 10% Wear & Tear Allowance - Limited Company 283 3
- Can an EU biz register an LLC in UK, but operate from the local country? 182 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 980
- Employment related securities question 501
- Looking for a qualified accountant 311
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 301
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 274
- National Insurance 211
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 200
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 193
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 185
- Payments on account coded out?? 142