Rents received in the P&L ??
A property management limited company derives rents from commercial clients in two scenario's :
1) lease agreement between company and clients and between company and landlord
2) lease agreement between landlord and clients
In (2) above the company is simply collecting the rents on behalf of the landlord and paying this straight across. Sometimes a surplus is retained a surplus on rents collected but essentially the company charges the clients an admin/mgt fee for this facility.
In (1) above the company charges the clients rent receivable in excess rents payable to the landlord under there own arrangement/lease agreement. An admin/mgt fee may or may not be charged in addition but fundamentally the profit is derived from the net surplus rents received.
The question therefore is how should this be displayed in the P&L ?? I am assuming that in (2) the income is not reported in the P&L as it is technically not trading income of the company, however in the event of a net surplus can this be combined with the rents received in (1) or are they required to be reported separately in the P&L ??
Note that I am NOT netting-off the rents receivable and payable derived from (1), as this I consider to be trading income and cost of sales of the company.
A little bit complex but hopefully I have made myself clear.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 659 5
- See you all on the other side 704 6
- 12Pay 467 2
- dividends 637 2
- R&D 330 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,193 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 443 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 425 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 379 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 551 5
- Seeking a tax case 649 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 510 4
- Companies house strike off 572 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 438 2
- Moving to the cloud 754 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 218 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 911 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 219 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,093 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 509 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 563
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 355
- Capitalising Finance Lease 328
- USA help 318
- Marginal rates of tax 307
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 307
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 295
- Class 2 NI 284