Rents received in the P&L ??
A property management limited company derives rents from commercial clients in two scenario's :
1) lease agreement between company and clients and between company and landlord
2) lease agreement between landlord and clients
In (2) above the company is simply collecting the rents on behalf of the landlord and paying this straight across. Sometimes a surplus is retained a surplus on rents collected but essentially the company charges the clients an admin/mgt fee for this facility.
In (1) above the company charges the clients rent receivable in excess rents payable to the landlord under there own arrangement/lease agreement. An admin/mgt fee may or may not be charged in addition but fundamentally the profit is derived from the net surplus rents received.
The question therefore is how should this be displayed in the P&L ?? I am assuming that in (2) the income is not reported in the P&L as it is technically not trading income of the company, however in the event of a net surplus can this be combined with the rents received in (1) or are they required to be reported separately in the P&L ??
Note that I am NOT netting-off the rents receivable and payable derived from (1), as this I consider to be trading income and cost of sales of the company.
A little bit complex but hopefully I have made myself clear.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,118 85
- Where can I get the information for this 373 7
- BrightPay 369 9
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 209 3
- CGT &LLP 81 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 547 4
- Setting up an offshore company 111 1
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 185 16
- Secure document exchange 137 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 162 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 393 7
- break even point 178 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 115 3
- Fax to email providers 327 11
- Payroll software 256 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 147 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 143 4
- How to issue shares to investors 99 1
- Expense management software 632 12
- Tax code 164 1