Rents received in the P&L ??
A property management limited company derives rents from commercial clients in two scenario's :
1) lease agreement between company and clients and between company and landlord
2) lease agreement between landlord and clients
In (2) above the company is simply collecting the rents on behalf of the landlord and paying this straight across. Sometimes a surplus is retained a surplus on rents collected but essentially the company charges the clients an admin/mgt fee for this facility.
In (1) above the company charges the clients rent receivable in excess rents payable to the landlord under there own arrangement/lease agreement. An admin/mgt fee may or may not be charged in addition but fundamentally the profit is derived from the net surplus rents received.
The question therefore is how should this be displayed in the P&L ?? I am assuming that in (2) the income is not reported in the P&L as it is technically not trading income of the company, however in the event of a net surplus can this be combined with the rents received in (1) or are they required to be reported separately in the P&L ??
Note that I am NOT netting-off the rents receivable and payable derived from (1), as this I consider to be trading income and cost of sales of the company.
A little bit complex but hopefully I have made myself clear.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
- Director leaving in month 1 50 1
- S162 and Capital Allowances 99 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 106 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 161 3
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 184 2
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 158 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 145 4
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 167 6
- IHT - clawback of BPR 32 1
- EIS - connection through employment 82 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 223 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 30 1
- CIS and Close Company 69 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 218 4
- Secondment expenses 146 3
- VAT Option to tax 436 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 109 4
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 101 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 135 3
- VAT Registration 326 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 904
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 635
- Free Tax Legislation? 397
- Director Loan account operation 394
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 323
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 316
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 180