Rents received in the P&L ??
A property management limited company derives rents from commercial clients in two scenario's :
1) lease agreement between company and clients and between company and landlord
2) lease agreement between landlord and clients
In (2) above the company is simply collecting the rents on behalf of the landlord and paying this straight across. Sometimes a surplus is retained a surplus on rents collected but essentially the company charges the clients an admin/mgt fee for this facility.
In (1) above the company charges the clients rent receivable in excess rents payable to the landlord under there own arrangement/lease agreement. An admin/mgt fee may or may not be charged in addition but fundamentally the profit is derived from the net surplus rents received.
The question therefore is how should this be displayed in the P&L ?? I am assuming that in (2) the income is not reported in the P&L as it is technically not trading income of the company, however in the event of a net surplus can this be combined with the rents received in (1) or are they required to be reported separately in the P&L ??
Note that I am NOT netting-off the rents receivable and payable derived from (1), as this I consider to be trading income and cost of sales of the company.
A little bit complex but hopefully I have made myself clear.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 990 25
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,856 17
- Deferred Tax 33 1
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 22 1
- I've not operated a payroll - will i get charged on late PAYE payments? 380 7
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 37 1
- How much of your work is admin? 64 1
- HMRC Let Property Campaign 1,769 19
- Goodwill complications 116 2
- Personal pension 198 3
- Practical Courses - Accounts Prep 130 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 283 7
- IRIS Accounts Production - Dividends shown in P&L? 233 6
- Late Registration for VAT 116 2
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 965 26
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,147 12
- property development 266 8
- Registering a company late 185 5
- Business rates consultancy 124 2
- sale of house 636 18
- TheTax Donut 999
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 659
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 612
- Follower cases 475
- Hive up 401
- Limited company purchase of property 399
- corporate hierarchy 372
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 369
- LIVE chat, starting now 308
- AIA or IFA 202