Rents received in the P&L ??
A property management limited company derives rents from commercial clients in two scenario's :
1) lease agreement between company and clients and between company and landlord
2) lease agreement between landlord and clients
In (2) above the company is simply collecting the rents on behalf of the landlord and paying this straight across. Sometimes a surplus is retained a surplus on rents collected but essentially the company charges the clients an admin/mgt fee for this facility.
In (1) above the company charges the clients rent receivable in excess rents payable to the landlord under there own arrangement/lease agreement. An admin/mgt fee may or may not be charged in addition but fundamentally the profit is derived from the net surplus rents received.
The question therefore is how should this be displayed in the P&L ?? I am assuming that in (2) the income is not reported in the P&L as it is technically not trading income of the company, however in the event of a net surplus can this be combined with the rents received in (1) or are they required to be reported separately in the P&L ??
Note that I am NOT netting-off the rents receivable and payable derived from (1), as this I consider to be trading income and cost of sales of the company.
A little bit complex but hopefully I have made myself clear.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
- Overseas bank interest 75 2
- Undeclared rental income 1,813 19
- Kasperskey - home pc 291 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 148 2
- Rental Income Tax Planning 257 4
- Cash basis 229 7
- Statutory sick pay 107 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,879 589
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 1,216 12
- Lorry Drivers 346 5
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 230 2
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 1,532 9
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 120 1
- PRR 583 16
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 214 2
- Partially exempt? 316 10
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 258 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 584 4
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 250 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 212 4
- Skandia using wrong address 528
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 291
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 286
- Employee rewards 277
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 250
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 242
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 231
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 177
- LLP in Construction Industry 139