Rents received in the P&L ??
A property management limited company derives rents from commercial clients in two scenario's :
1) lease agreement between company and clients and between company and landlord
2) lease agreement between landlord and clients
In (2) above the company is simply collecting the rents on behalf of the landlord and paying this straight across. Sometimes a surplus is retained a surplus on rents collected but essentially the company charges the clients an admin/mgt fee for this facility.
In (1) above the company charges the clients rent receivable in excess rents payable to the landlord under there own arrangement/lease agreement. An admin/mgt fee may or may not be charged in addition but fundamentally the profit is derived from the net surplus rents received.
The question therefore is how should this be displayed in the P&L ?? I am assuming that in (2) the income is not reported in the P&L as it is technically not trading income of the company, however in the event of a net surplus can this be combined with the rents received in (1) or are they required to be reported separately in the P&L ??
Note that I am NOT netting-off the rents receivable and payable derived from (1), as this I consider to be trading income and cost of sales of the company.
A little bit complex but hopefully I have made myself clear.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
- What would you do in this situation? 447 11
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 107 3
- Help Required 248 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 203 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 367 14
- What's in a name ? 194 4
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 122 3
- ATED Penalties 248 1
- late second payment on account 138 2
- US royalties 58 2
- Project being run jointly 111 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 162 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 132 3
- Sole trader mix up 275 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 721 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 881 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 202 4
- Filing company accounts 131 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 492 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 154 5
- CTA study material 694
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 419
- Employment related securities question 261
- AIM Stocks and IHT 241
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 193
- Trust for Employee 180
- Expat pension contributions? 176
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 149
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 131
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 112