Reselling Software and Allegances
My approach to client accounts software has always been rather laid back and I recommend and use several different brands (MOA, Sage, Quickbooks, Xero, etc). My clients regularly ask my opinion and recommendations when they are looking to change and I tend to assess each client individually based on their requirements.
I just wondered if most other practices stick to one "brand" of accounts software and what are the benefits of doing so? Are you happy to form an allegance with a particular brand and recommend it to all of your clients or, like me, do you deal with lots of different accounting packages? For smaller clients do you tend to work with spreadsheets? Is there any value to me spending some quality time putting together a spreadsheet for smaller clients to use?
Also, when I reviewed the online accounting solutions it seems most companies expect the accountant to "subscribe" to the software and claw the money back from their clients by reselling licences on to them for whatever fee they like. Is this the norm for most practices? If so, how much do people spent on accounts software "subscriptions" per annum and is it worth the time and effort? I've put off investing in software in the past (payroll to be exact), and wasted a horrendous amount of time and effort for what would have been a small annual fee.
At the end of the day, I am a small practice and try to concentrate on smaller clients as this is the kind of work I enjoy. But I do feel like I should be less random in my choice of software and apply a more structured approach.
(Apologies if this is a bit of a nonsensical ramble, the children are refusing to go to sleep and keep wondering down the stairs pestering me! Argh!)
Thanks in advance for all feedback and advice.
- deleting customers on Sage 50 131 6
- Value-shifting 27 1
- Pattern for CTA 188 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 265 14
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 428 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 63 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 159 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 213 5
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 680 7
- EBT 166 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 150 8
- Giving a seminar 506 28
- Joint Filing Help 92 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 181 4
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,192 32
- Interest on Loan to a Company 248 2
- Writing off bad debts 176 4
- Added years superannuation 48 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 99 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 347 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,199
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 599
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 403
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 186
- Agent fees to sell business 186
- Alphabet shares 184
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 176
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 158
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 158