Reselling Software and Allegances
My approach to client accounts software has always been rather laid back and I recommend and use several different brands (MOA, Sage, Quickbooks, Xero, etc). My clients regularly ask my opinion and recommendations when they are looking to change and I tend to assess each client individually based on their requirements.
I just wondered if most other practices stick to one "brand" of accounts software and what are the benefits of doing so? Are you happy to form an allegance with a particular brand and recommend it to all of your clients or, like me, do you deal with lots of different accounting packages? For smaller clients do you tend to work with spreadsheets? Is there any value to me spending some quality time putting together a spreadsheet for smaller clients to use?
Also, when I reviewed the online accounting solutions it seems most companies expect the accountant to "subscribe" to the software and claw the money back from their clients by reselling licences on to them for whatever fee they like. Is this the norm for most practices? If so, how much do people spent on accounts software "subscriptions" per annum and is it worth the time and effort? I've put off investing in software in the past (payroll to be exact), and wasted a horrendous amount of time and effort for what would have been a small annual fee.
At the end of the day, I am a small practice and try to concentrate on smaller clients as this is the kind of work I enjoy. But I do feel like I should be less random in my choice of software and apply a more structured approach.
(Apologies if this is a bit of a nonsensical ramble, the children are refusing to go to sleep and keep wondering down the stairs pestering me! Argh!)
Thanks in advance for all feedback and advice.
- Xmas party 169 2
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 393 8
- Fixed asset registers 323 10
- Tech Champion of the Year 273 6
- Just because it's Friday 336 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,373 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 179 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 111 4
- Capital Allowances 172 4
- equipment rental 224 10
- Acquisition by company 142 5
- Non sequitur 549 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,522 23
- R&D on products not sold 102 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 953 13
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 203 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 656 9
- Transfer of land to family members 117 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 603 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 235 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,371
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 437
- Alphabet shares 243
- Agent fees to sell business 231
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 230
- Charge out rates in London 186
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 170
- which entity 151
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 141