Resign from ICAEW?
I bet the ICAEW website has some useful information and I'll mosey along there, but I'm interested in views from the folks on here - current members, ex-members, never-been-members.
My job, while notionally in finance, is more about maintaining accounting systems and much less about actual financial reporting or even book-keeping! CPD is a joke - nothing I can learn from the available courses has any relevance to my work. I get nothing of real value from my institute - not their fault.
My qualification wasn't even of much interest to my current employer when they offered me the job - as a demonstration of being able to attain such a qualification that's fine but they see little value in retaining it. Of course if I change jobs then maybe I'll regret giving up my membership, although I think 5+ years not really being an accountant is more relevant than a qualification I earned 15 years ago. When you've been working for 20 years surely experience counts for much more.
The other thing that worries me is how easy (or not) it is to resign. I think I've seen accounts before of indifference from the ICAEW (typically when members resign complaining of the heavy compliance burden of being a small practicioner) but can't help wondering if I'll be bombarded with questions.
I don't take resignation lightly, and would welcome any thoughts...
- are we that stupid 851 19
- Foster Care 34 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 330 5
- letter of reference 130 1
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 54 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 271 3
- Flat Management Company 191 1
- Share structure questions - close company 168 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 160 4
- Income prior to company formation 336 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 723 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 307 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 122 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 526 5
- Practice software 1,420 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 362 1
- Company leaving VAT group 169 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 611 18
- Staff training 1,551 13
- Goodwill on incorporation 280 2
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 327
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 286
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 246
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 216
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 214
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 151
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 148
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148
- Indian Provident Fund 146