Resign from ICAEW?
I bet the ICAEW website has some useful information and I'll mosey along there, but I'm interested in views from the folks on here - current members, ex-members, never-been-members.
My job, while notionally in finance, is more about maintaining accounting systems and much less about actual financial reporting or even book-keeping! CPD is a joke - nothing I can learn from the available courses has any relevance to my work. I get nothing of real value from my institute - not their fault.
My qualification wasn't even of much interest to my current employer when they offered me the job - as a demonstration of being able to attain such a qualification that's fine but they see little value in retaining it. Of course if I change jobs then maybe I'll regret giving up my membership, although I think 5+ years not really being an accountant is more relevant than a qualification I earned 15 years ago. When you've been working for 20 years surely experience counts for much more.
The other thing that worries me is how easy (or not) it is to resign. I think I've seen accounts before of indifference from the ICAEW (typically when members resign complaining of the heavy compliance burden of being a small practicioner) but can't help wondering if I'll be bombarded with questions.
I don't take resignation lightly, and would welcome any thoughts...
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 29 1
- Running two businesses from the same premises 285 3
- AIA or IFA 324 4
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 309 7
- Late Registration for VAT 311 11
- Start up allowance? 227 9
- Old CGT loss 120 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 221 5
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 253 10
- Share structures 108 5
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,243 37
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,078 19
- Surely not? 221 8
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 298 5
- Business rates consultancy 197 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 143 4
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 574 8
- Are HMRC staff on early 502 7
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 180 2
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 199 9
- TheTax Donut 1,035
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 684
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 627
- Follower cases 491
- Limited company purchase of property 429
- Hive up 421
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 390
- corporate hierarchy 385
- LIVE chat, starting now 341
- Advice - 192