Resign from ICAEW?
I bet the ICAEW website has some useful information and I'll mosey along there, but I'm interested in views from the folks on here - current members, ex-members, never-been-members.
My job, while notionally in finance, is more about maintaining accounting systems and much less about actual financial reporting or even book-keeping! CPD is a joke - nothing I can learn from the available courses has any relevance to my work. I get nothing of real value from my institute - not their fault.
My qualification wasn't even of much interest to my current employer when they offered me the job - as a demonstration of being able to attain such a qualification that's fine but they see little value in retaining it. Of course if I change jobs then maybe I'll regret giving up my membership, although I think 5+ years not really being an accountant is more relevant than a qualification I earned 15 years ago. When you've been working for 20 years surely experience counts for much more.
The other thing that worries me is how easy (or not) it is to resign. I think I've seen accounts before of indifference from the ICAEW (typically when members resign complaining of the heavy compliance burden of being a small practicioner) but can't help wondering if I'll be bombarded with questions.
I don't take resignation lightly, and would welcome any thoughts...
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,253 13
- Goodwill on incorporation low level valuations 204 3
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 330 10
- Best software for small practice? 354 12
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,184 19
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 156 3
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 143 4
- VAT and CT issues on splitting of business 282 6
- HMRC Statements 272 4
- Costly Accounting Software contract 439 2
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 240 3
- Company Number 10000000 630 5
- Any update on 2016/17 employer NIC allowance and directors? 218 2
- Car benefit or not? 2,332 21
- Cloud-based email services? 582 11
- NEST web services & Moneysoft 481 6
- Class 1A NIC on motorbike fuel 161 5
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 687 10
- Tax Planning for Family and Owner-Managed Companies 2015/16 446 7
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 547 12
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 757
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 449
- Directors' advances and credits 304
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 267
- DTA tie-breaker issue 260
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 241
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 219
- CGT for NOn UK residents 211
- Apprenticeship Levy 190
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 185