Resign from ICAEW?
I bet the ICAEW website has some useful information and I'll mosey along there, but I'm interested in views from the folks on here - current members, ex-members, never-been-members.
My job, while notionally in finance, is more about maintaining accounting systems and much less about actual financial reporting or even book-keeping! CPD is a joke - nothing I can learn from the available courses has any relevance to my work. I get nothing of real value from my institute - not their fault.
My qualification wasn't even of much interest to my current employer when they offered me the job - as a demonstration of being able to attain such a qualification that's fine but they see little value in retaining it. Of course if I change jobs then maybe I'll regret giving up my membership, although I think 5+ years not really being an accountant is more relevant than a qualification I earned 15 years ago. When you've been working for 20 years surely experience counts for much more.
The other thing that worries me is how easy (or not) it is to resign. I think I've seen accounts before of indifference from the ICAEW (typically when members resign complaining of the heavy compliance burden of being a small practicioner) but can't help wondering if I'll be bombarded with questions.
I don't take resignation lightly, and would welcome any thoughts...
- Software recommendations? 288 4
- Goodie bag 135 2
- Budget 2015 predictions 198 5
- Husband Wife let property 140 2
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 444 8
- Career in Practice 131 2
- Relevant life plan 346 8
- Limited Company expenses 379 8
- Physiotherapy And Vat 197 6
- Telemarketing 171 4
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 163 1
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 156 1
- New tax codes for ex-employees 191 3
- how to value rental space 108 3
- Directors loan - no longer a director 334 4
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 72 1
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 465 5
- Output tax for retailer 266 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 453 11
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,939 32
- Possible Partnership? 608
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 502
- New Fangled Penalties 412
- Clubs and Taxable Income 333
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 300
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 258
- Loans to other companies 245
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 217
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 216
- Outsource Data Entry 213