Resign from ICAEW?
I bet the ICAEW website has some useful information and I'll mosey along there, but I'm interested in views from the folks on here - current members, ex-members, never-been-members.
My job, while notionally in finance, is more about maintaining accounting systems and much less about actual financial reporting or even book-keeping! CPD is a joke - nothing I can learn from the available courses has any relevance to my work. I get nothing of real value from my institute - not their fault.
My qualification wasn't even of much interest to my current employer when they offered me the job - as a demonstration of being able to attain such a qualification that's fine but they see little value in retaining it. Of course if I change jobs then maybe I'll regret giving up my membership, although I think 5+ years not really being an accountant is more relevant than a qualification I earned 15 years ago. When you've been working for 20 years surely experience counts for much more.
The other thing that worries me is how easy (or not) it is to resign. I think I've seen accounts before of indifference from the ICAEW (typically when members resign complaining of the heavy compliance burden of being a small practicioner) but can't help wondering if I'll be bombarded with questions.
I don't take resignation lightly, and would welcome any thoughts...
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 267 7
- VAT on employee loan 231 2
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 161 1
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 147 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 684 18
- What do you all do in your spare time? 494 23
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 269 5
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 140 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 60 2
- Purchased Goodwill 53 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 69 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 170 4
- Recruitment agencies 571 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 509 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 192 4
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 261 9
- HMRC RANT!!!! 445 8
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,364 19
- Scams are not always obvious 1,996 33
- Design your ideal tax department 959 21
- New Fangled Penalties 1,072
- Moving away from CCH software 925
- QROP pension input amounts 423
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 334
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 258
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 234
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 206
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189