Resign from ICAEW?
I bet the ICAEW website has some useful information and I'll mosey along there, but I'm interested in views from the folks on here - current members, ex-members, never-been-members.
My job, while notionally in finance, is more about maintaining accounting systems and much less about actual financial reporting or even book-keeping! CPD is a joke - nothing I can learn from the available courses has any relevance to my work. I get nothing of real value from my institute - not their fault.
My qualification wasn't even of much interest to my current employer when they offered me the job - as a demonstration of being able to attain such a qualification that's fine but they see little value in retaining it. Of course if I change jobs then maybe I'll regret giving up my membership, although I think 5+ years not really being an accountant is more relevant than a qualification I earned 15 years ago. When you've been working for 20 years surely experience counts for much more.
The other thing that worries me is how easy (or not) it is to resign. I think I've seen accounts before of indifference from the ICAEW (typically when members resign complaining of the heavy compliance burden of being a small practicioner) but can't help wondering if I'll be bombarded with questions.
I don't take resignation lightly, and would welcome any thoughts...
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,460 65
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 79 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 616 28
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 347 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 597 11
- calculate mortgage interest 160 1
- Auto enrolment 1,648 27
- AIA 224 5
- Depreciation 201 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 161 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 236 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 195 3
- client can't/won't pay 481 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 226 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 262 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 274 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,196 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 292 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 237 5
- HMRC SA software error? 216 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 799
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 466
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 458
- Latest phishing scam 296
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 245