Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 201 6
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 224 5
- Employed clients and expenses 759 13
- VAT return - Box 7 & 9 Vat cash accounting 28 1
- FRS 102 Fair Value v open market value 99 2
- Taxfiler V's BTC 803 31
- Quickbooks 2015 170 1
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 353 13
- Sage reporting 100 4
- SA302's anyone?? 2,771 41
- Directors loan accounts 237 6
- Professional Clearance 1,509 23
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 338 8
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 109 2
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 122 2
- BTC Software 263 9
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 194 7
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 99 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 570 30
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,712 25
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,013
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 523
- NOVA 481
- Bonus Bonds 360
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 345
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 261
- Payment for Promotional Samples 234
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 231
- Friendly Pensions 158
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 147