Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 593 18
- Disclosure requirements for Directors Loan Accounts in Credit 508 20
- Tax relief on accommodation costs 25 1
- Director or self-employed 278 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,366 25
- Anybody still doing returns? 1,007 37
- BVI registered 190 4
- Closing a limited company 393 6
- Self assessment for directors 187 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 279 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,619 17
- A little knowledge 423 6
- Digita in the cloud 181 2
- Tax relief when working away 96 1
- Tax relief when working away 212 3
- Designated sole Residence 260 5
- Scratch Head 361 1
- Year end 278 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 335 13
- Clothing 650 19
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 970
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 691
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 634
- Latest phishing scam 616
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 459
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 338
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 270
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 240
- Sabbatical payments 232
- Negligible Value Claim 215