Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Client died family to pay redundancy 112 2
- Notes to statutory accounts 58 4
- Gifting shares 181 3
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 270 5
- Rent paid by director 24 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 104 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 400 13
- Builder using cash labour 302 3
- Easy way to not pay tax 717 18
- Holding companies 42 1
- Accomodation charge for Publican 115 2
- VAT & Landlords 54 1
- VAT Registration 336 16
- Singaporean Tax Adviser 50 1
- Valuation of PET on death 210 6
- Auto enrolment 874 10
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 408 17
- Vat on second hand goods 174 2
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 136 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 640 17
- Skandia using wrong address 1,512
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 836
- International interest certificate 454
- NOVA 313
- Bonus Bonds 194
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 192
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 187
- Management expenses for investment company 185
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 172
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 164