Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Past rental expenses 331 6
- Let Property Campaign - Joint Owner Died 116 3
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,225 26
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,455 35
- Accountant let me down 622 6
- 2020 Annual Conference 161 2
- Professional Clearance 1,217 29
- Client right to working papers 1,434 10
- Growth Street 167 2
- Client has two UTRS, How do you get HMRC to correct this? 243 9
- Microsoft One Drive 620 23
- SA302's - What's the deal? 500 8
- Online Back Up 288 7
- Filing a company valuation with HMRC 111 1
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage Brokering 133 1
- Vat application refused 218 1
- Professional Clearance 433 6
- Self-employed 589 14
- Redeemable loan note - loss 106 1
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 327 3
- NHS finance professionals 631
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 401
- Foreign Pension Contribution 368
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 345
- vat gross profit percentage margins 344
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 321
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 299
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 290
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 248
- IFA income recognition & reporting 209