Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Elective DeductionsModel 35 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 173 1
- Rental Income 275 6
- Value pricing 135 6
- Payroll 2012/13 71 1
- I have a pain 646 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 55 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 141 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 718 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 101 3
- Cash flow 133 2
- New use of home - simplified method 201 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 256 5
- company secretarial software 96 1
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 352 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,933 32
- Share restructure 326 12
- Liquidation of Subsiduary 141 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,823 14
- P11d error 423 9
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 726
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 495
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 342
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 335
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 261
- VAT on Gaming Machines 210
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 196
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 179
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 172
- Paye procedures for CVA 145