Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Any printer recommendations? 148 5
- Out of date tax returns 227 2
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 52 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,013 6
- VAT on Exhibition services 102 3
- Dates, more dates and cessation 50 1
- Filling in my self assessment 957 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 150 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 290 7
- proposed dividends 646 22
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 429 6
- FPS responses ... 508 16
- Nominal Codes 269 9
- Charging VAT to a Swedish Company 208 7
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 225 2
- Valuing Famiy Shareholding 189 3
- HMRC SMP Calculator - does it still exist? 124 2
- Alcohol VAT reclaim 172 1
- HMRC repayment has gone to wrong bank account - quickest way to resolve? 448 6
- RSU and double taxation 191 2
- Sanzar 498
- Digital marketing focus group 398
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 378
- Sainsbury's mangement 328
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 327
- Continuity Agreement 323
- Avanti Accounts 321
- Buyback 285
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 231
- Aggresive sales from Iris 196