Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 977 10
- Bureau payroll software and Auto Enrolment - which is the best? 107 3
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 175 8
- SAGE winforecast 232 1
- Trust 97 1
- VAT NETP and Tax Agents/Representatives joimnt and several liability 62 1
- Reverse charge on services between UK and IE 67 1
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 53 1
- Disclosure on Cessation Accounts 177 1
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 128 3
- printer paper for Certificate of Incorporation 221 5
- I'm losing the will to live... 162 1
- Sage 50 - How do I find the column headings when I export to CSV 94 4
- Auto enrolment 1,569 15
- Annual Report - How to? 269 10
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 261 4
- Client's company struck off 2,062 26
- Accountants not providing all required information 155 3
- 15% restirction on lease cars 135 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,132 17
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 526
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 460
- EPS and CIS deductions 325
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 307
- Construction CIS LLP Company 298
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 288
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 245
- Overdrawn director account 210
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 203
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 187