Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Car benefit or not? 2,280 21
- Best software for small practice? 84 2
- Cloud-based email services? 512 11
- HMRC Statements 128 3
- NEST web services & Moneysoft 446 6
- Any update on 2016/17 employer NIC allowance and directors? 62 1
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,041 8
- Class 1A NIC on motorbike fuel 96 5
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 648 10
- Tax Planning for Family and Owner-Managed Companies 2015/16 363 7
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 511 12
- VAT and CT issues on splitting of business 240 4
- Goodwill on incorporation low level valuations 127 1
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,139 18
- Land Registry 313 4
- Excel First Tab/Last Tab missing in latest version(s) 382 4
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 635 20
- Annual Investment Allowance on Van 582 12
- Time recording 349 5
- Auto enrolment without a PAYE scheme? 163 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 749
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 445
- Costly Accounting Software contract 386
- Directors' advances and credits 296
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 267
- DTA tie-breaker issue 256
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 236
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 216
- CGT for NOn UK residents 207
- Apprenticeship Levy 187