Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 442 19
- Is this fraud? 437 9
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 879 39
- Saying goodbye 495 14
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 67 1
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 184 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 638 5
- Pension Contributions Relief 389 12
- Furnished lettings criteria 206 2
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 81 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 785 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,476 31
- Tax on private fuel for own car 214 5
- Sportman claiming for training kit 1,028 11
- Flat rate scheme 224 3
- Drop box Storage 228 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 291 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,206 413
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 424 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 184 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,279
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 456
- National Insurance 353
- Non Resident 270
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 262
- Franchise income and costs 242
- Hands on experience of Digita 205
- Employer's Helpline 151
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 148
- employment capital allowances 140