Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Stand alone practice management software 1,181 20
- Submit P11D for 2014 2015 with no Paye Scheme in place 150 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 348 6
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 720 18
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 356 2
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 173 3
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 240 5
- SA1 forms 293 11
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,006 25
- ACCOUNTING FOR VAT ON EU DISPATCHES AND EXPORTS 130 2
- Loan to employee's company 111 1
- Can you divide and conquer? 260 2
- Recommendation for consolidation software? 508 9
- CG on Spanish property disposal 190 6
- Do I need to see receipts ? 516 7
- VAT charged on non-VAT Invoice 219 4
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 427 10
- Redundancy Pay 227 3
- BTC v TaxCalc 374 9
- Contribution to use of home 127 1
- Sainsbury's mangement 804
- Avanti Accounts 669
- Have I done the right thing? 627
- Continuity Agreement 622
- Calling franchise accountants 622
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 480
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 353
- Scammers 306
- Advice please! 219
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 197