Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 90 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 459 19
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 141 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 549 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 244 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 90 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 167 3
- Foreign income for self employed 106 1
- tax credits 62 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 603 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 49 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 482 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 223 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 217 7
- Musician deductible expenses 96 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 103 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 282 8
- Flat rate vat error 346 7
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 547 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 851
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 510
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 297
- Tax efficient holding company structure 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 232
- Investment property company accounts template 221
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 183
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 153