Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 207 4
- Fastest Software 646 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 89 1
- Where did it go? 224 2
- cancellation of Engagement 107 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 84 1
- Feuding directors 237 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 94 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 482 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,892 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 606 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 227 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 87 1
- Benefit fraud 3,417 49
- SA Tax Returns 151 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 134 2
- Consolidated accounts 118 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,023 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,399 22
- CTA study material 650
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 393
- Employment related securities question 244
- ATED Penalties 219
- AIM Stocks and IHT 198
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 165
- Trust for Employee 151
- Expat pension contributions? 148
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 133
- Capital allowances 121