Retirement Relief restriction ??
A client runs a company in which the shares are owned 50/50 by himself and his ex-wife. In order to realise the value in the company (approx £300K) he needs to wind up the company, and make a capital distribution.
He is 52, his ex-wife 47.
He will claim retirement relief on his gain, as he is effectively retiring from the business.
The commercial reason for his actions is that his wife does not work for the company, and therefore half of all the profit he makes is contributing to his ex-wife's net worth!
This being the case, he intends to recommence trading after the present company is closed down (albeit in a smaller, less stressful and lower powered way), in order that he maintains an income, and keeps his clients happy.
Can anyone suggest whether he may run into problems with his retirement relief, and should he leave a gap between stopping and starting ?
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 33 1
- Small hotel - food for personal use 174 3
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,626 59
- Xero Pain Points 223 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 83 1
- HMRC site down ? 76 3
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 58 1
- The importance of Grammar 826 22
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 110 5
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 127 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 340 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 138 4
- New starter - tax code 122 3
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 569 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 227 3
- Childcare 263 4
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 224 2
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 799 19
- New .accountant domain name extension 130 1
- VAT REGISTATIONS 207 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 359
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 296
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 281
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 279
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 269
- Electric Car 220
- S222 Charge 200
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 193
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 189
- Company Structure 170