Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- Anybody still doing returns? 718 31
- Clothing 509 13
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 131 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 158 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 74 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 343 16
- Designated sole Residence 133 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 714 15
- Anyone know what this is? 230 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 889 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 503 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 261 9
- no utr 286 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,121 49
- Director drawings 603 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 292 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 90 1
- Capital Loss 127 3
- LLP formed in 2013 101 1
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 204 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 953
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 674
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 622
- Latest phishing scam 598
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 435
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 325
- Scratch Head 264
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 255
- Sabbatical payments 217
- Negligible Value Claim 195