Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 277 2
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 157 2
- Repayment of Share Capital 171 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 558 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 415 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 165 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 175 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 420 10
- Self employed care worker 566 12
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 240 1
- Auto enrolment 457 8
- Audacity 968 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 402 7
- Late registration for MOSS 259 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 281 5
- Client right to working papers 414 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 560 6
- Professional Clearance 1,082 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 308 5
- Illegal share transfer 475 5
- NHS finance professionals 541
- VAL231 411
- Mother and son property ownership 387
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 362
- Foreign Pension Contribution 334
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 311
- vat gross profit percentage margins 292
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 290
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 264
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 233