Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 104 1
- Instant CPD offer 273 4
- Cash basis 504 13
- Income from rent charged to business 104 2
- payroll software 358 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 434 5
- Statutory sick pay 296 4
- Dividend in specie 361 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 216 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 173 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 268 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 293 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 163 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 373 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,853 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 328 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 252 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 104 1
- Investor exit 196 3
- Skandia using wrong address 567
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 306
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 303
- Employee rewards 287
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 245
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 226
- Etax Australian 185
- LLP in Construction Industry 151
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 131
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 130