Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- Not a good start no broadband 298 7
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 370 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 588 10
- Property initial recognition 119 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 670 12
- P11D Dispensation 189 3
- Question regarding gym training 187 3
- CPD 62 1
- is this fraud? 477 9
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 390 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 125 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 159 4
- Directors Subsistence 365 3
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,153 26
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 201 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 421 9
- R&D tax credit claim 161 4
- New company - form a group? 104 1
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 135 3
- Married woman dies owning marital home 355 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 565
- Cancelled 339
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 322
- Cancelled 278
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 240
- Probiz 223
- CIS Deductions 182
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 164
- Car leasing scheme 157