Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- Your comments please 141 4
- CGT history of shares 98 2
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 659 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 182 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 82 2
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 176 2
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 49 1
- Closing my business down 324 20
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 118 1
- Recording Calls 67 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 71 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,277 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,494 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 916 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 73 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 163 2
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 255 3
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 253 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 203 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 167 1
- Moving away from CCH software 959
- QROP pension input amounts 446
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 389
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 368
- fraud 292
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 265
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 234
- Construction CIS LLP Company 218
- EPS and CIS deductions 210
- Out of time or not? 193