Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 916 28
- You know its over 287 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 475 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 200 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 146 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 138 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 201 3
- Cocaine anyone? 485 8
- Late Registration for VAT 474 13
- EIS/SEIS 132 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 263 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 406 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 407 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 695 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 547 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 574 4
- Personal pension 395 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,208 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 156 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 451
- corporate hierarchy 431
- Advice - 269
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 221
- WWOOFers 215
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 171
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171