Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- Accountancy work for Farmers 48 1
- Fastest Software 700 12
- Capital allowances 141 1
- cancellation of Engagement 274 5
- Feuding directors 339 9
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 255 7
- Foreign branch in SME 120 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,260 21
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 147 1
- Where did it go? 329 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 101 1
- VAT Registration for Building Company 126 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 526 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,915 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 621 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 264 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 128 1
- Benefit fraud 3,441 49
- SA Tax Returns 192 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 174 2
- CTA study material 654
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 397
- Employment related securities question 250
- ATED Penalties 223
- AIM Stocks and IHT 204
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 174
- Trust for Employee 159
- Expat pension contributions? 152
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 138
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 107