Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 202 2
- Declined for business bank account 123 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,474 282
- business card address 246 6
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 184 3
- Loan to a related company 42 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 604 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 317 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 224 8
- property rental income split 101 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 132 2
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 92 1
- Payroll provider 136 5
- How do we report and pay tax liability of company car we give to employee? 138 1
- Family loan 357 8
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 371 5
- Standard 'email' template system 821 13
- Donations (to a school!) 333 10
- Circular shareholding 157 3
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 264 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,107
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 362
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 298
- National Insurance 268
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 238
- Payments on account coded out?? 226
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 219
- Non Resident 182
- Franchise income and costs 174
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 162