Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- sole trader accountant 820 15
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 443 10
- CGT 159 2
- do i have to register new ltd practice as tax agent? 77 1
- international employer please help!! 53 1
- Sage payroll alternatives 385 4
- When to include value of import in Box 7 81 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 171 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 327 7
- Capital gain? 117 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,282 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 280 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 356 8
- vat help for catering concession 282 10
- IHT dilemma 1,165 17
- Tax return software for remote working 240 3
- CGT 341 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 326 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 114 2
- Compliance check 527 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,089
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 781
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 467
- Digita Hosted Software 282
- Call Centre Data Costs 253
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 229
- Credit where credit's due....... 228
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 211
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 193
- Director phone costs 158