Reverse charge for VAT
I have a client newly registered for VAT who will be supplying consultancy services mainly to a company in Southern Ireland and therefore falls under the new place of supply rules.
I have ascertained from the VAT helpline that the VAT will be accounted for under the reverse charge principals with the place of supply being deemed to be that of the customer and with them being required to account for the VAT. They have not been overly clear as to what my client actually needs to show on his invoice when issued though.
My previous understanding of the reverse charge system was that he needed to show VAT on the invoice but state it as "zero rated under reverse charge" and that he was also required to show the customer's VAT number as well as his own. The VAT Office helpline have advised me, however, that he should not show any VAT at all and that he needs to retain the customer's VAT number but didn't seem to be able to answer whether he needs to show this on the invoice or not.
The customer will also be paying for any expenses such as travel in addition to the cost of the services but I couldn't get any clarification on whether these should be shown differently or the net amount listed on the invoice only.
They also advised me that he will not need to complete an EC sales list unless he is importing services himself or unless goods are involved but the requirement for the EC sales list falls on his customer. This seems to be different to how it reads on the HMRC website so which one is right?
Any help in clarifying exactly what needs to be shown etc will be greatly appreciated.
- Share swap 436 17
- CIS Deductions 118 6
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 110 2
- Know it alls (who don't) 614 14
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,826 28
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 455 14
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 481 10
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,539 45
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 341 16
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 834 17
- Machine games duty in quickbooks 61 1
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 177 4
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 207 3
- Check my logic on this please? 258 1
- VAT Margin Scheme for Second Hand Watches 91 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 233 6
- Late P45 219 5
- CIC accounts submission 108 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 611 20
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 271 11
- Skandia using wrong address 1,565
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 865
- International interest certificate 476
- NOVA 333
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 251
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 242
- Management expenses for investment company 225
- Bonus Bonds 218
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 207
- Help with tax codes on Sage 163