Right, my Jedi calm has finally broken
This site has been a God-send to myself and I imagine many more like me who are either sole traders or lack the support within their organisation. I have found it an invaluable tool in solving tax queries, especially given how bad the HMRC search function is.
When I post a question my name comes up as Thomas Peterson. Oddly that is not my real name, neither do I expect 'Old Grey Accountant' or 'Swiss Toni' to be their real names either. So I consider my post to be anonymous even if I don't tick the box! There are plenty of people in my office who use AW and none of them have ever worked out who I am (even going so far as to call Mr Peterson names to me :) ).
The only danger is if a client or manager spots 'their' question and traces your name through other posts, but how often does that happen? Clients tend not to ask their accountant a question then try and find out themselves, so how likely are they to spot the question?
I'm sick of people having a go at this great site! Regardless of its minor faults it is an incredibly useful forum and serves as both a learning platform (tax changes sooo fast...) and a source of entertainment thanks to the likes of Mr Toni (and long may be remain!). This job can be so demoralising and light relief is needed sometimes.
So to all the people complaining that people can see their pseudonom, pick a better pseudonom if you don't want to be traced. If you think too many stupid topics are posted here just don't read them.
I miss the old AW in some ways, but this new incarnation is nowhere near as bad as people are making out and I would be most displeased if it were to be scrapped.
That was cathartic, appologies if it was too much of a rant for this time in the morning.
- option to tax 174 1
- Share of profits from building society 28 1
- B2B vat in the EU 60 1
- VAT on deposits 173 1
- sage vat journal 52 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,570 44
- Coding Notice 70 1
- Free invoicing software 98 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 295 17
- New business - journal entries 217 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 540 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 241 7
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 159 2
- Capitalised professional fees - with no corresponding asset 401 4
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 666 17
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 343 4
- Trade name 91 1
- Resident Landlord Expenses 182 6
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 126 3
- Employee shareholder contracts 106 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 742
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 700
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 376
- Social investment tax relief 196
- Digita Hosted Software 189
- Call Centre Data Costs 186
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 150
- Travel costs and contractors 140
- Certificates of tax deposit 124
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 123