Right, my Jedi calm has finally broken
This site has been a God-send to myself and I imagine many more like me who are either sole traders or lack the support within their organisation. I have found it an invaluable tool in solving tax queries, especially given how bad the HMRC search function is.
When I post a question my name comes up as Thomas Peterson. Oddly that is not my real name, neither do I expect 'Old Grey Accountant' or 'Swiss Toni' to be their real names either. So I consider my post to be anonymous even if I don't tick the box! There are plenty of people in my office who use AW and none of them have ever worked out who I am (even going so far as to call Mr Peterson names to me :) ).
The only danger is if a client or manager spots 'their' question and traces your name through other posts, but how often does that happen? Clients tend not to ask their accountant a question then try and find out themselves, so how likely are they to spot the question?
I'm sick of people having a go at this great site! Regardless of its minor faults it is an incredibly useful forum and serves as both a learning platform (tax changes sooo fast...) and a source of entertainment thanks to the likes of Mr Toni (and long may be remain!). This job can be so demoralising and light relief is needed sometimes.
So to all the people complaining that people can see their pseudonom, pick a better pseudonom if you don't want to be traced. If you think too many stupid topics are posted here just don't read them.
I miss the old AW in some ways, but this new incarnation is nowhere near as bad as people are making out and I would be most displeased if it were to be scrapped.
That was cathartic, appologies if it was too much of a rant for this time in the morning.
- Tax Fines - HMRC 872 15
- Can an owner hold company money 310 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 303 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 222 6
- Class 2 NIC 271 5
- Probate services 428 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 387 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,708 37
- Vat payable on van 156 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,832 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 243 7
- Community Faux Pas 932 26
- Cash gift from India 143 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,311 40
- Windows10 197 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 626 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 477 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 243 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 393 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 872 5
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 305
- VAT 258
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 219
- Is the APN valid 196