Right, my Jedi calm has finally broken
This site has been a God-send to myself and I imagine many more like me who are either sole traders or lack the support within their organisation. I have found it an invaluable tool in solving tax queries, especially given how bad the HMRC search function is.
When I post a question my name comes up as Thomas Peterson. Oddly that is not my real name, neither do I expect 'Old Grey Accountant' or 'Swiss Toni' to be their real names either. So I consider my post to be anonymous even if I don't tick the box! There are plenty of people in my office who use AW and none of them have ever worked out who I am (even going so far as to call Mr Peterson names to me :) ).
The only danger is if a client or manager spots 'their' question and traces your name through other posts, but how often does that happen? Clients tend not to ask their accountant a question then try and find out themselves, so how likely are they to spot the question?
I'm sick of people having a go at this great site! Regardless of its minor faults it is an incredibly useful forum and serves as both a learning platform (tax changes sooo fast...) and a source of entertainment thanks to the likes of Mr Toni (and long may be remain!). This job can be so demoralising and light relief is needed sometimes.
So to all the people complaining that people can see their pseudonom, pick a better pseudonom if you don't want to be traced. If you think too many stupid topics are posted here just don't read them.
I miss the old AW in some ways, but this new incarnation is nowhere near as bad as people are making out and I would be most displeased if it were to be scrapped.
That was cathartic, appologies if it was too much of a rant for this time in the morning.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 936 29
- You know its over 298 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 480 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 201 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 155 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 141 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 210 3
- Cocaine anyone? 493 8
- Late Registration for VAT 476 13
- EIS/SEIS 134 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 267 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 408 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 414 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 702 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 549 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 580 4
- Personal pension 396 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 219 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,212 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 162 3
- Hive up 487
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 452
- corporate hierarchy 432
- Advice - 269
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 222
- WWOOFers 215
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 204
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 192
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 172
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171