Right, my Jedi calm has finally broken
This site has been a God-send to myself and I imagine many more like me who are either sole traders or lack the support within their organisation. I have found it an invaluable tool in solving tax queries, especially given how bad the HMRC search function is.
When I post a question my name comes up as Thomas Peterson. Oddly that is not my real name, neither do I expect 'Old Grey Accountant' or 'Swiss Toni' to be their real names either. So I consider my post to be anonymous even if I don't tick the box! There are plenty of people in my office who use AW and none of them have ever worked out who I am (even going so far as to call Mr Peterson names to me :) ).
The only danger is if a client or manager spots 'their' question and traces your name through other posts, but how often does that happen? Clients tend not to ask their accountant a question then try and find out themselves, so how likely are they to spot the question?
I'm sick of people having a go at this great site! Regardless of its minor faults it is an incredibly useful forum and serves as both a learning platform (tax changes sooo fast...) and a source of entertainment thanks to the likes of Mr Toni (and long may be remain!). This job can be so demoralising and light relief is needed sometimes.
So to all the people complaining that people can see their pseudonom, pick a better pseudonom if you don't want to be traced. If you think too many stupid topics are posted here just don't read them.
I miss the old AW in some ways, but this new incarnation is nowhere near as bad as people are making out and I would be most displeased if it were to be scrapped.
That was cathartic, appologies if it was too much of a rant for this time in the morning.
- Personal allowance 602 13
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 362 10
- VAT on employee loan 282 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 941 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 99 2
- Accountants website 368 5
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 218 2
- What do you all do in your spare time? 676 29
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 164 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 448 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 89 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 109 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,406 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 218 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 171 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 219 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 201 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 718 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 152 1
- Purchased Goodwill 163 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,083
- Moving away from CCH software 937
- QROP pension input amounts 429
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 373
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 345
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 313
- fraud 271
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 241
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 214
- Construction CIS LLP Company 193