Right, my Jedi calm has finally broken
This site has been a God-send to myself and I imagine many more like me who are either sole traders or lack the support within their organisation. I have found it an invaluable tool in solving tax queries, especially given how bad the HMRC search function is.
When I post a question my name comes up as Thomas Peterson. Oddly that is not my real name, neither do I expect 'Old Grey Accountant' or 'Swiss Toni' to be their real names either. So I consider my post to be anonymous even if I don't tick the box! There are plenty of people in my office who use AW and none of them have ever worked out who I am (even going so far as to call Mr Peterson names to me :) ).
The only danger is if a client or manager spots 'their' question and traces your name through other posts, but how often does that happen? Clients tend not to ask their accountant a question then try and find out themselves, so how likely are they to spot the question?
I'm sick of people having a go at this great site! Regardless of its minor faults it is an incredibly useful forum and serves as both a learning platform (tax changes sooo fast...) and a source of entertainment thanks to the likes of Mr Toni (and long may be remain!). This job can be so demoralising and light relief is needed sometimes.
So to all the people complaining that people can see their pseudonom, pick a better pseudonom if you don't want to be traced. If you think too many stupid topics are posted here just don't read them.
I miss the old AW in some ways, but this new incarnation is nowhere near as bad as people are making out and I would be most displeased if it were to be scrapped.
That was cathartic, appologies if it was too much of a rant for this time in the morning.
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 69 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 360 14
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 156 7
- P35 and Service Company questions 73 2
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 121 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 170 5
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 106 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,572 12
- Companies House incorporation service 276 11
- Share Capital 83 2
- Trading income or not? 145 1
- Charge HMRC 367 3
- FRS17 query 224 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,753 44
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,612 29
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 561 12
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 281 2
- How to opt out? 407 6
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 97 1
- utr 191 4
- Xtuple 542
- Qtac payroll for bureau 372
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 314
- Industrial & Provident Societies 308
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 285
- CIS schemes 217
- Domain name sale and limited company 202
- Investment 182
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 178
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 176