Sage VAT Return Query
We have a VAT registerd partnership and my husband also has a non VAT registered business.
I found that I made an error on an entry in the partnership accounts in December 2009. I entered an invoice that should have been for my partner's non VAT registered business and reclaimed the VAT on it which was £92.66. The entry (trans 92) was included in the VAT return dated 31st January 2010 and VAT reconciled. It had been paid in error out of the partnership bank account.
When I noticed the error recently, I corrected it in the Maintenance, Corrections window, changing the nominal code to Drawings (3201) and changed the VAT code to T9. This created trans 742 which was a counter BR with the same VAT and nominal code as the original BP.
The new BP created by Sage when I performed the correction has a T9 VAT code and nominal code of 3201.
When I calculate the VAT return dated 31st October this year and agree when asked to include the transactions from an earlier period, Box 6, Total Value of Sales excluding VAT is higher than we believe our sales figures should be. When I drill down in Box 6, Total Value of Sales, excluding VAT I see that trans 742 is listed (under the old T3 code which I used for 15% VAT that was applicable at the time of the transaction).
I understand why the VAT payable would be £92.66 higher as I have claimed this in error and must repay it but I don't understand why the Sales figure is higher than our actual sales for the quarter.
I have also noticed that a refund where VAT was paid back is included in the Sales Total. It has a nominal code of 6900 miscellaneous expenses. I expected only those nominal codes which we use for Sales (4000 and 4001) to be listed when drilling down to the VAT Breakdown from Box 6.
I'm hoping someone can explain why Sage includes these transactions when it calculates the Total Sales figure and whether I should go ahead and process the VAT return or if I've made some sort of mistake.
I'm a new member so if I've posted this on the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,968 45
- Love is in the air 189 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,658 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 357 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 388 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 491 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 140 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 635 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 340 7
- HMRC accounting 268 3
- Employers NI allowance 447 6
- Dividend taxation 266 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 176 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 182 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 162 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 448 4
- iris update 11.9.2 449 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 280 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 274
- CGT for NOn UK residents 273
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 260
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 243
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 233
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 208
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 186