Sage VAT Return Query
We have a VAT registerd partnership and my husband also has a non VAT registered business.
I found that I made an error on an entry in the partnership accounts in December 2009. I entered an invoice that should have been for my partner's non VAT registered business and reclaimed the VAT on it which was £92.66. The entry (trans 92) was included in the VAT return dated 31st January 2010 and VAT reconciled. It had been paid in error out of the partnership bank account.
When I noticed the error recently, I corrected it in the Maintenance, Corrections window, changing the nominal code to Drawings (3201) and changed the VAT code to T9. This created trans 742 which was a counter BR with the same VAT and nominal code as the original BP.
The new BP created by Sage when I performed the correction has a T9 VAT code and nominal code of 3201.
When I calculate the VAT return dated 31st October this year and agree when asked to include the transactions from an earlier period, Box 6, Total Value of Sales excluding VAT is higher than we believe our sales figures should be. When I drill down in Box 6, Total Value of Sales, excluding VAT I see that trans 742 is listed (under the old T3 code which I used for 15% VAT that was applicable at the time of the transaction).
I understand why the VAT payable would be £92.66 higher as I have claimed this in error and must repay it but I don't understand why the Sales figure is higher than our actual sales for the quarter.
I have also noticed that a refund where VAT was paid back is included in the Sales Total. It has a nominal code of 6900 miscellaneous expenses. I expected only those nominal codes which we use for Sales (4000 and 4001) to be listed when drilling down to the VAT Breakdown from Box 6.
I'm hoping someone can explain why Sage includes these transactions when it calculates the Total Sales figure and whether I should go ahead and process the VAT return or if I've made some sort of mistake.
I'm a new member so if I've posted this on the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 46 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,260 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,236 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 976 29
- You know its over 376 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 508 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 247 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 197 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 181 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 289 3
- Cocaine anyone? 531 8
- Late Registration for VAT 500 13
- EIS/SEIS 158 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 285 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 435 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 434 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 734 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 568 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 602 4
- Personal pension 408 9
- Hive up 497
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 465
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 278
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 224
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 212
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 208
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 187
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 181