Sage VAT Return Query
We have a VAT registerd partnership and my husband also has a non VAT registered business.
I found that I made an error on an entry in the partnership accounts in December 2009. I entered an invoice that should have been for my partner's non VAT registered business and reclaimed the VAT on it which was £92.66. The entry (trans 92) was included in the VAT return dated 31st January 2010 and VAT reconciled. It had been paid in error out of the partnership bank account.
When I noticed the error recently, I corrected it in the Maintenance, Corrections window, changing the nominal code to Drawings (3201) and changed the VAT code to T9. This created trans 742 which was a counter BR with the same VAT and nominal code as the original BP.
The new BP created by Sage when I performed the correction has a T9 VAT code and nominal code of 3201.
When I calculate the VAT return dated 31st October this year and agree when asked to include the transactions from an earlier period, Box 6, Total Value of Sales excluding VAT is higher than we believe our sales figures should be. When I drill down in Box 6, Total Value of Sales, excluding VAT I see that trans 742 is listed (under the old T3 code which I used for 15% VAT that was applicable at the time of the transaction).
I understand why the VAT payable would be £92.66 higher as I have claimed this in error and must repay it but I don't understand why the Sales figure is higher than our actual sales for the quarter.
I have also noticed that a refund where VAT was paid back is included in the Sales Total. It has a nominal code of 6900 miscellaneous expenses. I expected only those nominal codes which we use for Sales (4000 and 4001) to be listed when drilling down to the VAT Breakdown from Box 6.
I'm hoping someone can explain why Sage includes these transactions when it calculates the Total Sales figure and whether I should go ahead and process the VAT return or if I've made some sort of mistake.
I'm a new member so if I've posted this on the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 274 5
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 827 20
- The importance of Grammar 898 24
- New starter - tax code 179 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 116 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,684 60
- PI cover 99 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 126 2
- HMRC site down ? 163 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 140 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 202 3
- Xero Pain Points 257 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 92 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 120 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 161 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 381 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 152 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 593 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 234 3
- Childcare 275 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 285
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 272
- Electric Car 223
- S222 Charge 203
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 196
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 174