Sage VAT Return Query
We have a VAT registerd partnership and my husband also has a non VAT registered business.
I found that I made an error on an entry in the partnership accounts in December 2009. I entered an invoice that should have been for my partner's non VAT registered business and reclaimed the VAT on it which was £92.66. The entry (trans 92) was included in the VAT return dated 31st January 2010 and VAT reconciled. It had been paid in error out of the partnership bank account.
When I noticed the error recently, I corrected it in the Maintenance, Corrections window, changing the nominal code to Drawings (3201) and changed the VAT code to T9. This created trans 742 which was a counter BR with the same VAT and nominal code as the original BP.
The new BP created by Sage when I performed the correction has a T9 VAT code and nominal code of 3201.
When I calculate the VAT return dated 31st October this year and agree when asked to include the transactions from an earlier period, Box 6, Total Value of Sales excluding VAT is higher than we believe our sales figures should be. When I drill down in Box 6, Total Value of Sales, excluding VAT I see that trans 742 is listed (under the old T3 code which I used for 15% VAT that was applicable at the time of the transaction).
I understand why the VAT payable would be £92.66 higher as I have claimed this in error and must repay it but I don't understand why the Sales figure is higher than our actual sales for the quarter.
I have also noticed that a refund where VAT was paid back is included in the Sales Total. It has a nominal code of 6900 miscellaneous expenses. I expected only those nominal codes which we use for Sales (4000 and 4001) to be listed when drilling down to the VAT Breakdown from Box 6.
I'm hoping someone can explain why Sage includes these transactions when it calculates the Total Sales figure and whether I should go ahead and process the VAT return or if I've made some sort of mistake.
I'm a new member so if I've posted this on the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.
- Tax position re this lease? 293 5
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 662 14
- Managing Employee Expenses 152 6
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 26 1
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,647 60
- inheritance tax 544 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 135 5
- HMRC Agents Line 34 1
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 37 1
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 181 10
- pension paid by company? 255 6
- Do I need a smartphone? 592 21
- Charity work 161 8
- SA Agent's Priority Line 119 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 770 24
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 249 3
- Company Director In Prison 304 7
- MAAT vs ACCA 390 7
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,102 28
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 142 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 668
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 487
- Cancelled 419
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 359
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 320
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 241
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 192