Sage VAT Return Query
We have a VAT registerd partnership and my husband also has a non VAT registered business.
I found that I made an error on an entry in the partnership accounts in December 2009. I entered an invoice that should have been for my partner's non VAT registered business and reclaimed the VAT on it which was £92.66. The entry (trans 92) was included in the VAT return dated 31st January 2010 and VAT reconciled. It had been paid in error out of the partnership bank account.
When I noticed the error recently, I corrected it in the Maintenance, Corrections window, changing the nominal code to Drawings (3201) and changed the VAT code to T9. This created trans 742 which was a counter BR with the same VAT and nominal code as the original BP.
The new BP created by Sage when I performed the correction has a T9 VAT code and nominal code of 3201.
When I calculate the VAT return dated 31st October this year and agree when asked to include the transactions from an earlier period, Box 6, Total Value of Sales excluding VAT is higher than we believe our sales figures should be. When I drill down in Box 6, Total Value of Sales, excluding VAT I see that trans 742 is listed (under the old T3 code which I used for 15% VAT that was applicable at the time of the transaction).
I understand why the VAT payable would be £92.66 higher as I have claimed this in error and must repay it but I don't understand why the Sales figure is higher than our actual sales for the quarter.
I have also noticed that a refund where VAT was paid back is included in the Sales Total. It has a nominal code of 6900 miscellaneous expenses. I expected only those nominal codes which we use for Sales (4000 and 4001) to be listed when drilling down to the VAT Breakdown from Box 6.
I'm hoping someone can explain why Sage includes these transactions when it calculates the Total Sales figure and whether I should go ahead and process the VAT return or if I've made some sort of mistake.
I'm a new member so if I've posted this on the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 26 1
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 88 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,061 24
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 286 8
- Write off of former director's loan 364 8
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 217 4
- VAT on part of a closed pub 206 13
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 124 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 254 4
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 187 6
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 224 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 176 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 315 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 218 6
- SME Direct Debit 685 11
- Accountant software 447 13
- Accounting jobs in the UK 174 2
- CIS gross status review 129 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 135 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 386 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 767
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 487
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 303
- How to format a stock book 268
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 219
- Tax efficient holding company structure 207
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 199
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 176
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 165