Sage VAT Return Query
We have a VAT registerd partnership and my husband also has a non VAT registered business.
I found that I made an error on an entry in the partnership accounts in December 2009. I entered an invoice that should have been for my partner's non VAT registered business and reclaimed the VAT on it which was £92.66. The entry (trans 92) was included in the VAT return dated 31st January 2010 and VAT reconciled. It had been paid in error out of the partnership bank account.
When I noticed the error recently, I corrected it in the Maintenance, Corrections window, changing the nominal code to Drawings (3201) and changed the VAT code to T9. This created trans 742 which was a counter BR with the same VAT and nominal code as the original BP.
The new BP created by Sage when I performed the correction has a T9 VAT code and nominal code of 3201.
When I calculate the VAT return dated 31st October this year and agree when asked to include the transactions from an earlier period, Box 6, Total Value of Sales excluding VAT is higher than we believe our sales figures should be. When I drill down in Box 6, Total Value of Sales, excluding VAT I see that trans 742 is listed (under the old T3 code which I used for 15% VAT that was applicable at the time of the transaction).
I understand why the VAT payable would be £92.66 higher as I have claimed this in error and must repay it but I don't understand why the Sales figure is higher than our actual sales for the quarter.
I have also noticed that a refund where VAT was paid back is included in the Sales Total. It has a nominal code of 6900 miscellaneous expenses. I expected only those nominal codes which we use for Sales (4000 and 4001) to be listed when drilling down to the VAT Breakdown from Box 6.
I'm hoping someone can explain why Sage includes these transactions when it calculates the Total Sales figure and whether I should go ahead and process the VAT return or if I've made some sort of mistake.
I'm a new member so if I've posted this on the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.
- Unusual marketing ideas for accountants 581 3
- Inflation and fees 998 14
- Do we have to honour her notice? 525 5
- Stand alone practice management software 1,256 21
- SSAS Pension scheme 82 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 85 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 271 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 563 13
- Do I need to see receipts ? 747 11
- ICPA 498 8
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 296 3
- Physiotherapy 79 1
- Changing shareholding ratio 132 3
- Community Interest Company 74 1
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 123 1
- SA1 forms 369 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 147 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 145 1
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 157 5
- VAT on services to EC customer 180 3
- Sainsbury's mangement 826
- Avanti Accounts 674
- Have I done the right thing? 655
- Calling franchise accountants 635
- Continuity Agreement 627
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 485
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 326
- Advice please! 233
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 221