Sage VAT Return Query
We have a VAT registerd partnership and my husband also has a non VAT registered business.
I found that I made an error on an entry in the partnership accounts in December 2009. I entered an invoice that should have been for my partner's non VAT registered business and reclaimed the VAT on it which was £92.66. The entry (trans 92) was included in the VAT return dated 31st January 2010 and VAT reconciled. It had been paid in error out of the partnership bank account.
When I noticed the error recently, I corrected it in the Maintenance, Corrections window, changing the nominal code to Drawings (3201) and changed the VAT code to T9. This created trans 742 which was a counter BR with the same VAT and nominal code as the original BP.
The new BP created by Sage when I performed the correction has a T9 VAT code and nominal code of 3201.
When I calculate the VAT return dated 31st October this year and agree when asked to include the transactions from an earlier period, Box 6, Total Value of Sales excluding VAT is higher than we believe our sales figures should be. When I drill down in Box 6, Total Value of Sales, excluding VAT I see that trans 742 is listed (under the old T3 code which I used for 15% VAT that was applicable at the time of the transaction).
I understand why the VAT payable would be £92.66 higher as I have claimed this in error and must repay it but I don't understand why the Sales figure is higher than our actual sales for the quarter.
I have also noticed that a refund where VAT was paid back is included in the Sales Total. It has a nominal code of 6900 miscellaneous expenses. I expected only those nominal codes which we use for Sales (4000 and 4001) to be listed when drilling down to the VAT Breakdown from Box 6.
I'm hoping someone can explain why Sage includes these transactions when it calculates the Total Sales figure and whether I should go ahead and process the VAT return or if I've made some sort of mistake.
I'm a new member so if I've posted this on the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.
- Vat threshold issues 243 5
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 135 3
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 71 1
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 789 16
- Growing pains 418 8
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 408 7
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 186 5
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 416 15
- Residents Association Corp Tax 243 10
- Your fondest calculator memories 724 28
- new capital structure ltd with investors 363 7
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 448 3
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 554 14
- Joint filing delays 130 3
- private to company car? 256 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 221 3
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 300 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 147 4
- Partner with an IVA 217 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 350 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 459
- CTA study material 423
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 306
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 292
- Pre incorp expenses 284
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 248
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 213
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 193
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 182