Sage VAT Return Query
We have a VAT registerd partnership and my husband also has a non VAT registered business.
I found that I made an error on an entry in the partnership accounts in December 2009. I entered an invoice that should have been for my partner's non VAT registered business and reclaimed the VAT on it which was £92.66. The entry (trans 92) was included in the VAT return dated 31st January 2010 and VAT reconciled. It had been paid in error out of the partnership bank account.
When I noticed the error recently, I corrected it in the Maintenance, Corrections window, changing the nominal code to Drawings (3201) and changed the VAT code to T9. This created trans 742 which was a counter BR with the same VAT and nominal code as the original BP.
The new BP created by Sage when I performed the correction has a T9 VAT code and nominal code of 3201.
When I calculate the VAT return dated 31st October this year and agree when asked to include the transactions from an earlier period, Box 6, Total Value of Sales excluding VAT is higher than we believe our sales figures should be. When I drill down in Box 6, Total Value of Sales, excluding VAT I see that trans 742 is listed (under the old T3 code which I used for 15% VAT that was applicable at the time of the transaction).
I understand why the VAT payable would be £92.66 higher as I have claimed this in error and must repay it but I don't understand why the Sales figure is higher than our actual sales for the quarter.
I have also noticed that a refund where VAT was paid back is included in the Sales Total. It has a nominal code of 6900 miscellaneous expenses. I expected only those nominal codes which we use for Sales (4000 and 4001) to be listed when drilling down to the VAT Breakdown from Box 6.
I'm hoping someone can explain why Sage includes these transactions when it calculates the Total Sales figure and whether I should go ahead and process the VAT return or if I've made some sort of mistake.
I'm a new member so if I've posted this on the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.
- SA302's anyone?? 602 17
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 101 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 343 12
- Cash in Hand 107 2
- Buy to let and capitak gain 156 4
- Busines software 147 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 193 6
- Converting a barn for business use 184 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 308 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 313 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 477 10
- are receipts needed? 609 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 307 3
- Bookkeping software 721 7
- Clogged Losses 282 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 268 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 657 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 319 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 271 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 127 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 521
- NOVA 372
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 322
- Management expenses for investment company 275
- Bonus Bonds 269
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 183
- P11D benefit received by widow 162
- EXACT ONLINE 157
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 153