Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 127 4
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 338 3
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 86 5
- CIS Contractor 70 2
- Company oversea and VAT 134 6
- Small Business Payroll 103 4
- Relevant Life Insurance 143 4
- VAT on unused stock 196 2
- Bank stream and receipt bank advice... 185 2
- Payslip Count in Sage 50 Payroll 159 2
- Director resignation 576 12
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,602 6
- WIP Software 373 1
- C79 and VAT Paid to Parcelforce 98 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 212 9
- Dividend Waiver 240 5
- effective advertising 517 10
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 396 10
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 262 4
- Small Part Disposal of Property 260 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 498
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 473
- No payroll scheme in place 311
- Is there anything wrong with this? 269
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 261
- Uncommercial property business 234
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 201
- SA Penalty 198
- Registering online CWF1 177
- Accrued income scheme 176