Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,172 42
- Group Audit Thresholds 301 8
- Legal title not in the company name 674 21
- inheritance tax 242 8
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 154 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 275 7
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 92 2
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 128 2
- Deduction from Salary 550 13
- Sole properietor 380 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,441 12
- Pay in Lieu of notice 245 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 211 3
- Farm barn lettings 189 3
- Capital payments offshore trust 83 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 118 1
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 147 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 211 1
- State pension 210 1
- NALS Accountants Report 313 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 637
- Cancelled 384
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 332
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 303
- Probiz 295
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 268
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 253
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 218
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196