Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Money laundering POCA 302 6
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 34 2
- client threatening legal action 1,913 29
- Incorporation Relief 161 3
- Auto-Enrolment 3,974 187
- Can I claim mileage? 261 6
- limited company for IR35 147 1
- Ir35 test 122 2
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 146 7
- payroll software 250 2
- Mexican student in UK 174 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 215 2
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 83 2
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 285 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 177 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 148 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 886 19
- Dividend in specie 285 8
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 126 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 200 9
- Skandia using wrong address 506
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 281
- Employee rewards 264
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 235
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 228
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 226
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 127