Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 351 17
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 65 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 556 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 74 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 268 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 122 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 529 11
- Flat rate vat error 330 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 532 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 288 14
- can I claim a per diem 268 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 140 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,379 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 248 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 110 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 299 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 539 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 867 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 169 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 841
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 508
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 320
- How to format a stock book 290
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 212
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 183
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181