Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- VAT on employee loan 264 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 151 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 645 28
- Accountants website 326 4
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 51 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 93 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 341 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,395 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 212 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 408 6
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 155 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 202 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 187 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 711 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 147 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 81 2
- Purchased Goodwill 137 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 106 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 219 4
- Recruitment agencies 592 1
- New Fangled Penalties 1,079
- Moving away from CCH software 931
- QROP pension input amounts 425
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 341
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 265
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 236
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 211
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189