Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 676 8
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 47 1
- deleted 365 21
- PII and previous accountant 65 3
- Use of aliases 386 14
- What's the plural? 154 4
- Client leaving and querying previous years accounts 597 25
- What should I charge for unlimited advice and support ? 74 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 68 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 86 1
- CGT on Self Build Plus Another Property 159 8
- DISCOUNTED RENT FREE PERIOD 100 1
- Sage training course 227 7
- Registering as a CIS Contractor 118 2
- Builder - Roll over relief 156 7
- HMRC online out of action? 126 3
- Hold over relief 243 2
- Benchmark scale rates for subsistance 120 1
- Overdue VAT returns 156 3
- Non-Resident with UK rental income 147 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 558
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 407
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 312
- IFA incorporation 283
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 269
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 265
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 236
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 225
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 196
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 189