Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 725 5
- See you all on the other side 739 6
- 12Pay 508 2
- dividends 711 2
- R&D 357 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,216 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 473 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 463 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 416 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 571 5
- Seeking a tax case 678 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 539 4
- Companies house strike off 637 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 475 2
- Moving to the cloud 777 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 225 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 939 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 232 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,113 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 530 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 574
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 428
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 378
- IRIS and FRS 102 362
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 343
- Capitalising Finance Lease 342
- Marginal rates of tax 331
- USA help 327
- Class 2 NI 321
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 305