Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 399 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 130 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 97 1
- Registered Office 151 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,485 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 314 5
- Partnership Registration 108 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 907 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 112 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 689 12
- Audit Required 1,187 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 310 9
- Residential Management Companies 93 2
- Value pricing 2,856 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 398 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 396 11
- Payroll software for Mac 123 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 124 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 218 5
- CIS and Close Company 209 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 947
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 661
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 401
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 333
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 263
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Paye procedures for CVA 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 200
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 194
- Pension Fixed Protection 189