Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- ACCA practice certificates 48 1
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 185 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,084 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 164 2
- What would you do in this situation? 684 14
- Dress code 507 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 521 16
- Project being run jointly 214 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 320 4
- Companies House 617 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 375 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 741 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,454 25
- Help Required 432 10
- directors control and tax problems 326 5
- Fastest Software 812 13
- What's in a name ? 418 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 332 4
- Bulk Invoicing 200 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 196 3
- CTA study material 717
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 441
- Employment related securities question 277
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 270
- AIM Stocks and IHT 256
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 234
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 219
- Expat pension contributions? 208
- Trust for Employee 205
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 189