Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 50 4
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,332 36
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 40 1
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 323 7
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 247 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 253 1
- OneNote is fantastic 220 7
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 661 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,111 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 79 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 334 5
- PPR on a development? 230 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 357 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 904 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,795 15
- Cloud accounting package 199 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,025 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 519 15
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 205 3
- Next Move 416 12
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 637
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 397
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 382
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 374
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 226
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 206