Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 296 16
- CGT on Inherited Property 261 2
- Employment Allowance related companies 79 3
- Value pricing 564 19
- Fee's for P11D's 259 4
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 374 1
- Childcare Vouchers 164 3
- Quarterly PAYE 169 6
- Audit Report Query 179 5
- Coming in from the cold 194 2
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 1,293 26
- VAT Query re: Foreign VAT 73 1
- Should design costs be capitalised? 128 3
- Issuing an invoice as an individual (non UK resident) 72 1
- Thats Better 273 6
- reporting salary? 137 2
- apprentices 98 1
- Sage Payroll 256 10
- VAT 148 2
- Belated VAT Exception Application 229 7
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 765
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 522
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 389
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 215
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 212
- Director Loan account operation 199
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 197
- vat return 163
- Free Tax Legislation? 150