Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 286 4
- saturday staff 34 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 429 3
- Employee becoming shareholder - can salary be reduced with compensating dividends? 102 2
- Incorporation and goodwill 153 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 61 2
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 266 3
- Industrial & Provident Societies 373 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,330 47
- Self assesment losses 357 9
- Disposal of an opted property 207 3
- Fee protection 978 19
- Payroll systems 438 8
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 189 3
- dividend 289 12
- overdrawn directors loan 296 6
- Irish Taxation 182 6
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 206 3
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 287 4
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 159 1
- Xtuple 568
- Qtac payroll for bureau 390
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 345
- Domain name sale and limited company 240
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 215
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 214
- Tax on damages received 187
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 185
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 144