Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 22 1
- capital gains on PPR 174 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,733 440
- 100% Xero practice 2,436 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 178 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 100 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 118 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 279 9
- PRR 349 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 380 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 302 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,254 62
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 342 6
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 425 20
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 358 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 297 8
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 239 3
- corp tax software 393 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 464 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 491 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,310
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 472
- National Insurance 368
- Non Resident 294
- Franchise income and costs 259
- Hands on experience of Digita 213
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 184
- Employer's Helpline 163
- employment capital allowances 157
- CIS paid under reg 9 153