Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- Knuckle down one week to go! 46 2
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 637 29
- CURRENT VERSION OF p45 94 1
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 354 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 606 11
- calculate mortgage interest 177 1
- Auto enrolment 1,653 27
- AIA 230 5
- Depreciation 213 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 168 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 244 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 200 3
- client can't/won't pay 495 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 235 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 265 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 281 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,199 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 297 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 243 5
- HMRC SA software error? 221 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 800
- Copy Wanted 507
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 466
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 458
- Latest phishing scam 297
- Entrepreneurs' relief 284
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 259
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 246
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 245