Scrap metal dealing and VAT
One very confused person needs help!
I have a client who is about to start dealing in scrap metals. He will buy scrap items from both private individuals and businesses and sell onto another main scrap dealer for profit. I have called HMRC to clarify my understanding and I am actually now more confused.
I had hoped to use the global accounting scheme for VAT where VAT is paid simply on the difference between the purchase and selling price - as no individual item of scrap is worth over £500 this should not be a problem.
However HMRC have indicated that this would be OK when dealing with non-vatable individuals / businesses this would not be the case if scrap was purchased from another vatable business and the a VAT invoice would be issued by the seller and that this scrap would need to be tracked seperatelty when sold to the main dealer - thus possiblty becoming an admin nightmare.
Has anyone experience of this sector and the VAT treatment?
ALso I understand there are moves to change the suppy of VAT onto a reverse change basis - possibly on May 1st 2011.
- s455 tax 23 2
- partnership tax return 10 1
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 153 11
- LLp Profits 51 3
- Anyone else still working this week? 79 3
- Am I getting Soft?? 482 12
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 241 5
- AIA 87 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 177 3
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,477 44
- Taxation of the sale Record rights 83 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 349 18
- Cocaine anyone? 803 13
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 349 7
- Benefit in Kind 407 9
- How much does the company pay 266 5
- Lack of VAT Receipt 233 4
- Personal pension 500 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 658 22
- FAO BTC tech geek type people 173 2
- Hive up 527
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 487
- corporate hierarchy 460
- Advice - 309
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 255
- WWOOFers 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 229
- The booking.com con 215
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 205
- Cocaine anyone? 195