SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Value pricing 2,575 102
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 280 6
- Sage Instant Accounts 59 2
- LLP members share of profits 546 31
- VAT Registration 300 4
- VAT Option to tax 412 13
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 128 1
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 110 3
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 150 5
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 258 4
- husband and wife dividends 349 10
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,164 26
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,179 18
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 100 2
- Has anyone knowledge of Creditserve 67 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,973 15
- Entrepreneurs Relief 157 4
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 95 2
- Business travel apps 147 3
- How often can you change VAT scheme in a year? 95 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 898
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 632
- Free Tax Legislation? 391
- Director Loan account operation 390
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 312
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 310
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 282
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 215
- Paye procedures for CVA 215
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 175