SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- General tax book with planning 162 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,222 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 290 11
- Gift of property & improvements 122 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 352 5
- VAT Invoice 151 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 808 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 130 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 224 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 196 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 156 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 458 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 380 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 262 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 190 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 168 4
- SA302's anyone?? 543 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,648 41
- Renting for military reasons 197 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 511
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 298
- Management expenses for investment company 264
- Bonus Bonds 262
- tax on apprenticeship income 174
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 151