SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 45 4
- VAT & capitalising 21 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 220 5
- Limited Company keeping receipts 161 2
- Free Shares ? 218 2
- Is this a scam? 515 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 285 7
- Sorry ignore me 847 23
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 257 6
- Invoice Help 170 4
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 131 1
- Employee overpaid who has left 181 3
- Peer to Peer lending 843 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 93 2
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 201 4
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 278 6
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 244 5
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,242 17
- Childcare for clients 198 1
- One off meeting new client 570 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 619
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 528
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 291
- Cancelled 280
- Cancelled 242
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 185
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 184
- Probiz 166
- What's the market like for temps? 161
- Married woman dies owning marital home 155