SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 351 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,129 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 93 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 240 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 137 2
- V T Software 118 2
- Thinning income 325 3
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 108 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 326 4
- tax credits 225 4
- Past rental expenses 96 1
- What do do about VAT? 526 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 265 5
- Not a question but made my day 1,131 22
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 184 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 202 4
- Audacity 1,318 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 692 8
- partnership first tax return 150 1
- Payroll got out of synch 387 11
- NHS finance professionals 593
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 323
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 303
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 224
- IFA income recognition & reporting 198
- Incorporating doctors 192