SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- payroll software 347 3
- Instant CPD offer 253 3
- Income from rent charged to business 43 1
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 416 5
- Statutory sick pay 278 4
- Dividend in specie 355 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 208 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 166 3
- Cash basis 474 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 139 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 263 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 291 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 158 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 350 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,849 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 326 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 240 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 98 1
- Investor exit 193 3
- Partially exempt? 378 10
- Skandia using wrong address 564
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 305
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 302
- Employee rewards 285
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 242
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 223
- Etax Australian 183
- LLP in Construction Industry 148
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 129
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 129