SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 723 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 806 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 467 10
- Real time 193 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 393 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 250 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 226 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 215 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 602 15
- When to top-up pensions? 177 2
- Support / ticketing software 331 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 330 3
- Imported goods and VAT 142 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 437 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 593 11
- Stamp Duty 180 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,867 22
- Company Number 10000000 999 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 370 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 241 3
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 471
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 290
- DTA tie-breaker issue 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 243
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 217
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 210
- Just checking re PSA 196
- Capital Gains personal representatives 190
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 177