SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 139 4
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 410 4
- sole trader - operating under cis 76 2
- What does it mean?? 365 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 289 13
- VAT on motor expenses 899 32
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 75 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,712 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,313 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 109 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 140 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 169 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 207 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 163 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 750 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 394 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 213 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 337 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 120 2
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 98 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 472
- NOVA 329
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 237
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 224
- Management expenses for investment company 211
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 210
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 195