SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 516 19
- Personal allowance for a resident of both Belgium and UK? 168 9
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 566 15
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 143 2
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 198 3
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,193 21
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 72 2
- business card address 968 11
- VAT on educational consultancy 71 1
- Which tax box 38 1
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 153 10
- Tax on private fuel for own car 72 1
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,594 8
- paragraph 2 schedule 36 finance act 2008 65 1
- would home tutoring ever have to come under PAYE? 126 5
- Supplier invoice addressed to a different company, how is this treated for VAT? 215 10
- Moneysoft payroll 299 17
- Sportman claiming for training kit 822 9
- Self Employed Hairdressers and VAT treatment 122 2
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 199 9
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,252
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 448
- National Insurance 347
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 267
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 257
- Franchise income and costs 229
- Hands on experience of Digita 180
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 170
- Employer's Helpline 136