SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Accountancy Career 19 1
- CIC Company 642 13
- pension paid by company? 21 1
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,795 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,228 66
- 27,000 Really? 929 27
- Deduction from Salary 621 15
- inheritance tax 353 11
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 410 5
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 254 7
- Group Audit Thresholds 343 10
- One off meeting new client 1,668 16
- Legal title not in the company name 748 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 271 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 529 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 189 3
- NALS Accountants Report 345 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,235 44
- Farm barn lettings 230 4
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 300 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 392
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 305
- Probiz 298
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 276
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 256
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221
- How not to compose an email 210