SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- UK LTD Company to start working in Norway 37 1
- Adding shop sales to sage 77 4
- What does the "K" signify 226 6
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,085 42
- Self assesment online 73 1
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 296 2
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 355 10
- Dividend amount for company where tax year doesnt go to 31st March 97 3
- Interest Relief 106 3
- Entrepreneurs' relief 453 1
- Amend tax return? 149 3
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 709 26
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 353 7
- Tax on devidend in my company who is employee in other company 166 4
- client can't/won't pay 1,656 30
- calculate mortgage interest 391 6
- Self Assessment and P11D 220 6
- Petty cash 86 1
- HMRC SA302s 118 2
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,846 92
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 887
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 587
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 550
- Latest phishing scam 484
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 359
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 328
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 255
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 252
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 176
- Capital allowances in first basis period 162