SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 123 3
- Using Xero with Barclays & Lloyds and multi company usage 341 3
- How to network with other Accountants? 73 1
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,397 52
- Option to tax by two individuals "together" not as a Ltd company 102 2
- Directors exempt from AE? 429 8
- Cut-off accounting question 291 7
- Freehold management company 67 1
- account in joint names - gift? 165 3
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 496 10
- HMRC site down ? 427 7
- exemptions from CIS 110 2
- Depreciation on purchase of software 423 7
- Class of Shares 188 4
- Contact at HMRC for agents 129 1
- Offshore bond assigned to UK discretionary trust 132 5
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 506 10
- What would you do? 593 5
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 606 23
- Auto Enrolment 192 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 388
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 342
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 325
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 306
- Electric Car 261
- S222 Charge 226
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 223
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 208
- Company Structure 202
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 171