SERPS - opting in/out
I took advantage of the Government's incentive payments to opt out of SERPS in about 1992. I chose to have my incentive payment and rebate on NIC paid into a pension scheme (with profits!) run by Standard Life.
I recently asked for a pension forecast and was puzzled by the details. I'm old enough to have paid Graduated Pension payments, and these were detailed in the forecast. However, the forecast showed a zero entitlement for SERPS.
I believe SERPS replaced the Graduated Pension Scheme in the late 70's (1977?), and I was already paying into a final salary scheme with my employer at that time. I joined two further schemes with two subsequent employers, before opting out in 1992.
So for the period from 1977? to 1992, unless the schemes that I joined had already opted out, I would have been opted in to the SERPS scheme. The scheme that I joined from 1987 to 1992 clearly was opted out.
So should I be entitled to any SERPS payment at all? If the schemes I belonged to from 1977 to 1987 were opted out, what benefit did I receive?
If on the other hand these schemes were not opted out, should I be entitled to a SERPS payment for this period also? Or does opting out of SERPS at any time mean that you forfeit your SERPS entitlement completely? If this is the case, this certainly was not explained to me when I opted out. So would I be entitled to claim under the new proposals which provide for compensation if the individual has been wrongly advised to opt out of SERPS?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
- FPS or EPS 105 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,971 17
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 226 3
- Continuity of Practice 156 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 108 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 302 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,177 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 239 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 143 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 288 10
- Online Downtime 331 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 322 3
- What do you all do in your spare time? 783 31
- Personal allowance 671 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 172 2
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 443 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,120 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 327 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 402 10
- VAT on employee loan 307 5
- Moving away from CCH software 944
- QROP pension input amounts 435
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 377
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 352
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 320
- fraud 276
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 250
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 219
- Construction CIS LLP Company 207
- EPS and CIS deductions 192