Shared Stock Software Development
I wonder if you might be of help regarding a project that we are currently in development of at our company. Let me explain our problem and the solution we've had so far, and why I'd love some input please.
We have 6 companies that all work from the same location. It's shared by the format of the Directors/Partnerships but they operate individually from an administration level. However, one thing in common is that we ALL share the same stock from our 8 warehouses.
For years, we've been using Sage to manage our accounts and sales, however our business is a unique one (as far as we know) from the point that we are sharing stock, and surprise surprise - Sage does not allow a central stock database between several companies.
We've looked around at a few logistics trade shows on stock management, but so far haven't found any companies that can offer software that will handle this. Obviously we also need to keep track of sales that are actioned between the group, so that the owner of the product can issue an "inter-company" invoice.
So we've decided to take the bull by the horns and write some software internally ourselves and its currently in development.
My 3 questions to the lovely accountants are these:-
1) Have you ever come across any software packages that can handle multiple companies (each with their own set of nominal ledger sets and accounts) and yet share the same stock database?
2) Can you forsee any issues that we might have to address while writing this software
3) And cheekily, after we've finished it, would it be the kind of software you feel we might be able to offer the market place? Is there a demand for this kind of software in your experience?
I appreciate that you are all very busy people, so am not expecting you to answer in great lengths, but any indication would be helpful, and in advance I thank you for your time thus far.
- Community awards 2014 - first category 72 3
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 125 2
- Can you help me spot errors? 271 3
- Payment plans for clients 254 3
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 403 11
- CT600 236 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 300 16
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 43 1
- Lease 110 4
- Free invoicing software 487 4
- Digita Hosted Software 390 4
- signature required 859 31
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,291 21
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 163 5
- Thin Client recomendation 206 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 180 5
- VAT Office Grimsby 157 2
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 109 2
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 123 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,302 15
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,298
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 849
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 540
- Credit where credit's due....... 333
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 253
- TheTax Donut 222
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 180
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 169
- Director's business mileage 144
- Sole trader CPD 144