Shared Stock Software Development
I wonder if you might be of help regarding a project that we are currently in development of at our company. Let me explain our problem and the solution we've had so far, and why I'd love some input please.
We have 6 companies that all work from the same location. It's shared by the format of the Directors/Partnerships but they operate individually from an administration level. However, one thing in common is that we ALL share the same stock from our 8 warehouses.
For years, we've been using Sage to manage our accounts and sales, however our business is a unique one (as far as we know) from the point that we are sharing stock, and surprise surprise - Sage does not allow a central stock database between several companies.
We've looked around at a few logistics trade shows on stock management, but so far haven't found any companies that can offer software that will handle this. Obviously we also need to keep track of sales that are actioned between the group, so that the owner of the product can issue an "inter-company" invoice.
So we've decided to take the bull by the horns and write some software internally ourselves and its currently in development.
My 3 questions to the lovely accountants are these:-
1) Have you ever come across any software packages that can handle multiple companies (each with their own set of nominal ledger sets and accounts) and yet share the same stock database?
2) Can you forsee any issues that we might have to address while writing this software
3) And cheekily, after we've finished it, would it be the kind of software you feel we might be able to offer the market place? Is there a demand for this kind of software in your experience?
I appreciate that you are all very busy people, so am not expecting you to answer in great lengths, but any indication would be helpful, and in advance I thank you for your time thus far.
- Was I rude 705 18
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 81 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 148 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 131 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 274 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 184 1
- Top slicing relief question 217 2
- Valuation of PET on death 90 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 229 6
- Share swap 280 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 74 1
- Online filing 133 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 323 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,673 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 96 2
- Converting a barn for business use 84 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 225 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 108 2
- Joint rental income 120 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 330 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 804
- Any views 724
- International interest certificate 443
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 413
- Sale of business 385
- NOVA 278
- IRIS Open Books problem 278
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 194
- Expenses claim for non employee 182