Shared Stock Software Development
I wonder if you might be of help regarding a project that we are currently in development of at our company. Let me explain our problem and the solution we've had so far, and why I'd love some input please.
We have 6 companies that all work from the same location. It's shared by the format of the Directors/Partnerships but they operate individually from an administration level. However, one thing in common is that we ALL share the same stock from our 8 warehouses.
For years, we've been using Sage to manage our accounts and sales, however our business is a unique one (as far as we know) from the point that we are sharing stock, and surprise surprise - Sage does not allow a central stock database between several companies.
We've looked around at a few logistics trade shows on stock management, but so far haven't found any companies that can offer software that will handle this. Obviously we also need to keep track of sales that are actioned between the group, so that the owner of the product can issue an "inter-company" invoice.
So we've decided to take the bull by the horns and write some software internally ourselves and its currently in development.
My 3 questions to the lovely accountants are these:-
1) Have you ever come across any software packages that can handle multiple companies (each with their own set of nominal ledger sets and accounts) and yet share the same stock database?
2) Can you forsee any issues that we might have to address while writing this software
3) And cheekily, after we've finished it, would it be the kind of software you feel we might be able to offer the market place? Is there a demand for this kind of software in your experience?
I appreciate that you are all very busy people, so am not expecting you to answer in great lengths, but any indication would be helpful, and in advance I thank you for your time thus far.
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 491 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 180 6
- The stupidity continues 496 18
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 94 1
- transactions after account have been closed 120 3
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,322 25
- New Employers Helpline 189 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 192 3
- Software recommendations 254 1
- Share transfer question 368 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 307 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 168 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,417 19
- Overlap relief 753 19
- What is IRIS World like? 358 8
- Pension contributions 372 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 496 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 187 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 272 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 208 1
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 437
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 433
- WIP Software 297
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 288
- No payroll scheme in place 231
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 228
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 205
- Is there anything wrong with this? 199
- Small Part Disposal of Property 183
- Uncommercial property business 176