Shared Stock Software Development
I wonder if you might be of help regarding a project that we are currently in development of at our company. Let me explain our problem and the solution we've had so far, and why I'd love some input please.
We have 6 companies that all work from the same location. It's shared by the format of the Directors/Partnerships but they operate individually from an administration level. However, one thing in common is that we ALL share the same stock from our 8 warehouses.
For years, we've been using Sage to manage our accounts and sales, however our business is a unique one (as far as we know) from the point that we are sharing stock, and surprise surprise - Sage does not allow a central stock database between several companies.
We've looked around at a few logistics trade shows on stock management, but so far haven't found any companies that can offer software that will handle this. Obviously we also need to keep track of sales that are actioned between the group, so that the owner of the product can issue an "inter-company" invoice.
So we've decided to take the bull by the horns and write some software internally ourselves and its currently in development.
My 3 questions to the lovely accountants are these:-
1) Have you ever come across any software packages that can handle multiple companies (each with their own set of nominal ledger sets and accounts) and yet share the same stock database?
2) Can you forsee any issues that we might have to address while writing this software
3) And cheekily, after we've finished it, would it be the kind of software you feel we might be able to offer the market place? Is there a demand for this kind of software in your experience?
I appreciate that you are all very busy people, so am not expecting you to answer in great lengths, but any indication would be helpful, and in advance I thank you for your time thus far.
- Capital Gain? 473 13
- Simple consolidation question 43 1
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 973 27
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 97 4
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 393 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 196 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 231 5
- break even point 556 16
- How much to charge? 121 2
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 71 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 122 4
- IHT Query 214 4
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 371 9
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 427 2
- BrightPay 683 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 236 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 444 8
- Gift or Capital Gain? 380 11
- SDLT on leases 133 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 398 7
- Possible Partnership? 458
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 434
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 424
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 225
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 220
- Clubs and Taxable Income 214
- Income tax on foreign dividends 206
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 206
- New Fangled Penalties 203
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 176