Shared Stock Software Development
I wonder if you might be of help regarding a project that we are currently in development of at our company. Let me explain our problem and the solution we've had so far, and why I'd love some input please.
We have 6 companies that all work from the same location. It's shared by the format of the Directors/Partnerships but they operate individually from an administration level. However, one thing in common is that we ALL share the same stock from our 8 warehouses.
For years, we've been using Sage to manage our accounts and sales, however our business is a unique one (as far as we know) from the point that we are sharing stock, and surprise surprise - Sage does not allow a central stock database between several companies.
We've looked around at a few logistics trade shows on stock management, but so far haven't found any companies that can offer software that will handle this. Obviously we also need to keep track of sales that are actioned between the group, so that the owner of the product can issue an "inter-company" invoice.
So we've decided to take the bull by the horns and write some software internally ourselves and its currently in development.
My 3 questions to the lovely accountants are these:-
1) Have you ever come across any software packages that can handle multiple companies (each with their own set of nominal ledger sets and accounts) and yet share the same stock database?
2) Can you forsee any issues that we might have to address while writing this software
3) And cheekily, after we've finished it, would it be the kind of software you feel we might be able to offer the market place? Is there a demand for this kind of software in your experience?
I appreciate that you are all very busy people, so am not expecting you to answer in great lengths, but any indication would be helpful, and in advance I thank you for your time thus far.
- HMRC Discovery powers 184 3
- Paying Son 382 15
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 77 1
- Employers NI allowance 305 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 606 7
- Which time limits apply? 371 4
- Client Paperwork Retention? 359 10
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 149 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 281 3
- Just checking re PSA 242 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 322 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,488 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,525 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 332 2
- Friday Question 585 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 432 8
- Independent Examination work programme 163 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 550 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 312 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 225 7
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 493
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- CGT for NOn UK residents 263
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 254
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 246
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 232
- Apprenticeship Levy 228
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 220
- Capital Gains personal representatives 207
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 193