Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Real names 192 4
- Studying accountant has hit a brick wall - help me! 2,071 19
- Use of aliases 634 17
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 134 5
- Accounting Crew 762 17
- Dividend payment date 1,760 30
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 55 1
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 467 12
- Complete business outside UK 108 2
- What's the plural? 576 12
- to VAT or not to VAT 138 3
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 250 11
- Loan interest rental property 145 4
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,842 47
- Unclaimed customer balance 132 3
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 372 3
- Self Employed travel 330 7
- Company Secretarial Software 1,252 26
- Resigning as only director 1,084 10
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 225 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 565
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 421
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 323
- IFA incorporation 297
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 289
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 278
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 245
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 231
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 215
- Sorry ignore me 175