Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- How much can we do to help? 79 3
- Sale Of Shares 27 1
- Accountex flash mob 563 18
- The new married allowance 159 3
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 160 2
- Any good members voluntary liquidators 72 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 693 10
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 866 20
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,759 32
- VAT by Direct Debit 130 8
- Er... 354 2
- Cash extraction pre-sale 209 5
- VAT claim on exempt supply 314 11
- Group structure - transfer of shares 129 5
- Child benefit 364 9
- £3750 earned in Dubai - where on the income tax return??? 159 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 329 10
- IR 35 238 5
- Share disposal - help please 115 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 353 11
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 659
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 410
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 343
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 312
- Using the correct forms 303
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 298
- Sage Vat return box 2 207
- Digital marketing focus group 202