Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Care Home - Job Price 268 5
- Fee headache 432 4
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 207 6
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 217 4
- India Capital Gain 114 1
- Dormant payroll 725 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 97 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 287 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,487 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 111 1
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 516 11
- This feels wrong.... 1,564 21
- Overlap relief 385 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 191 2
- To correct incorrect NBV in previous year accounts 282 10
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 196 3
- P11D Rejection 272 7
- Directors loans 264 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief:: share disposals after leaving the company 267 5
- Has anyone else tried Iris paperless working papers for audit exempt companies 304 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 502
- Theatre Tax Relief 407
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 322
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 304
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 277
- Perkbox 228
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 222
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 218
- Document Management Systems 190
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 186