Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Travel costs and contractors 253 3
- vat help for catering concession 130 3
- Employee works in UK paid by Denmark and uses company car from another business 19 1
- RTI and Directors' salaries 136 2
- Is there capital gains tax for selling a church? 183 3
- Importers 100 1
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 267 4
- Tax free threshold on person receiving gifts 239 4
- dfgd fget 88 1
- More AE! 220 6
- New business - journal entries 607 27
- US Citizen but never resident in US 211 4
- LLP Tax Allocation Prior Year Amendment 59 1
- aia 116 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 444 10
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 454 16
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 243 5
- Form 17 Joint tenancy v tenants in common 259 7
- Merger of Two companies 560 20
- Merging 515 12
- Auto enrolment excuses 990
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 743
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 431
- Digita Hosted Software 248
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 246
- Social investment tax relief 243
- Call Centre Data Costs 227
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 182
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 147
- Petrol station franchise and VAT 137