Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Easy way to not pay tax 91 4
- Builder using cash labour 99 1
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 185 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 211 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 430 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 267 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 128 2
- Was I rude 810 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 314 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 217 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 293 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 298 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 206 6
- Non-compete agreement 189 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 205 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 155 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 115 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 111 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 185 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,487
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 298
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 209
- Bonus Bonds 180
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172