Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Does IR35 apply? 78 1
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 91 1
- any implications of this type of transaction 54 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,687 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 98 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 288 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,032 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 264 7
- Sage data 106 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 422 9
- Limited company buying a car 362 6
- Funding Circle experience 157 3
- Excel query 122 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,298 13
- Payment on account penalties 132 3
- Tax on free shares 147 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 208 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 128 1
- Audit 492 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 131 3
- CTA study material 805
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 498
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 461
- Employment related securities question 324
- AIM Stocks and IHT 311
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 283
- Expat pension contributions? 282
- Trust for Employee 257
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 234
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 161