Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 466 15
- Am I getting Soft?? 56 6
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 77 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,280 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,249 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 985 29
- You know its over 402 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 525 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 257 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 206 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 196 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 314 3
- Cocaine anyone? 553 8
- Late Registration for VAT 506 13
- EIS/SEIS 168 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 291 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 440 5
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 746 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 581 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 606 4
- Hive up 498
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 466
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 283
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 225
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 212
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 209
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 188
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 185