Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 205 4
- Allowable expenses on retal property 159 2
- Identity Checks 98 1
- Mandatory Capitalisation 127 2
- Running Sage on a Mac 117 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,322 94
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 286 5
- Cash bashed (FRS) vs cash accounting (standard VAT)? 137 2
- notarising & legalising documents 183 4
- question 442 4
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 416 11
- Income prior to company formation 222 8
- VAT on farm machinery sold 142 2
- Seeking advice: Tax on investing in a subsidiary 161 6
- Property pages or self-employed? 170 2
- Any thoughts on Capium? 427 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 466 8
- Can criminal action be a defence? 219 5
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,420 14
- National Living Wage: creating jobs or unemployment? 320 6
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 401
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 290
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 262
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 260
- French ConnectionUK 205
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 193
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 187
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 183
- APN's 175
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 150