Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 130 4
- Business lending another business money (UK) 306 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 38 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 267 7
- Family Partnership 284 9
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 177 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 191 6
- Business trips - director and family 418 3
- Signed accounts for bank 662 15
- flat rate scheme 2,373 50
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 168 2
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 327 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 184 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 92 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 850 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 204 5
- VAT Query on new build 126 1
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 116 1
- P11D Car Value 273 6
- NOVA declaration 112 1