Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 102 1
- Stumped - IHT 86 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 398 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 462 11
- Tips on meals 124 1
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,276 33
- Credit management tools 105 1
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 104 2
- property capital gains 102 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 766 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 367 7
- CGT and primary residence 149 1
- Marriage Allowance 242 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,141 12
- S455 and February year ends 302 7
- HMRC having technical difficulties 877 18
- Closing down loss-making company 443 5
- S.455 Tax again 283 3
- New Build 338 2
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 375 4