Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- What is the best blog for practitioners to follow? 343 6
- Tech Champion of the Year 257 6
- Xmas party 120 1
- Just because it's Friday 293 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,361 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 151 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 108 4
- Capital Allowances 158 4
- equipment rental 221 10
- Acquisition by company 115 5
- Non sequitur 543 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,500 23
- R&D on products not sold 101 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 923 13
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 197 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 646 9
- Transfer of land to family members 98 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 592 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 218 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 242 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,366
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 437
- Alphabet shares 241
- Agent fees to sell business 231
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 230
- Charge out rates in London 184
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 169
- which entity 151
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 141