Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- 100% Xero practice 2,165 38
- Mortgage deposit Gift 481 23
- Were you asked to pay to sign off your ACCA PCTR by your Principle? 152 2
- Company Accounts 233 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,276 345
- Shadow director or alternative? 487 5
- Umbrella Company 181 3
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 177 1
- Vat treatment of charity business income 139 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 932 18
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 203 6
- Donations (to a school!) 455 11
- Vat on Royalites 94 1
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 459 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 91 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 184 5
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 204 3
- property rental income split 268 3
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 179 1
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 119 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,191
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 411
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 316
- National Insurance 311
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 239
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 226
- Franchise income and costs 205
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 182