Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- Cash in Hand 151 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 183 5
- are receipts needed? 634 17
- SA302's anyone?? 616 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 332 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 128 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 353 12
- Busines software 164 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 197 6
- Converting a barn for business use 187 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 315 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 317 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 487 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 323 3
- Bookkeping software 731 7
- Clogged Losses 282 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 275 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 661 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 274 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 129 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 522
- NOVA 372
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 327
- Management expenses for investment company 275
- Bonus Bonds 270
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 185
- P11D benefit received by widow 165
- EXACT ONLINE 160
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 159