Should I leave my job to set up in practice?
My apologies in advance for the lengthy writing, I need to outline my current thoughts.
I am considering leaving my current job to set up a practice working from home. In the medium term this is where I want to be, I want to be my own boss and I am extremely happy with the decision. In the short term I am unsure as to whether now is the best time.
I am currently in secure paid employment for a decent salary, halfway through a one year contract which I expect to be renewed. I am on a three month notice period. The problem is that I don't particularly enjoy my job and believe that my time would be far better spent working on my practice.
I have mainly worked as a management accountant and there is a lot I need to learn in order to become a good accountant in practice. I am currently working through this by reading this and other forums, internet research, working on friends/families accounts etc. However, I have to do this in my free time and I believe I could do a much better job if I was spending all my time on this. I also expect marketing to take up a significant amount of time in my first two years.
I don't want to deceive my employer by combining both jobs but I have the typical accountant's risk-averse outlook on taking a big step into the unknown and wonder whether I should build up my client base first before handing in my notice.
I would appreciate any advice, particularly from people who have set up recently themselves.
- SA302 226 4
- Hosted email exchange 157 5
- South African Government Pension 169 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 144 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 219 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 281 13
- Prefer to start accepting Online Card Payments 142 1
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 224 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 134 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 265 7
- New Email Extensions 158 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 283 2
- Dental practice incorpration 136 1
- Audit rules 168 4
- Go Cardless 291 8
- business entertaining deductibility 161 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 199 2
- R & D 112 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 96 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 183 1
- Xtuple 503
- Qtac payroll for bureau 338
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 285
- Industrial & Provident Societies 279
- Mehjoo 224
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 222
- New strategic report 174
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- CIS schemes 156
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 152