Should self-certified mortgages be banned?
The FSA is reported to be planning to require all mortgage lenders to obtain evidence of the income of persons applying for mortgages in future.
Apparently at present over 40% of new mortgages are advanced based on self-certified figures of income.
I have to say that amongst my 'clients' (normally individuals facing criminal charges) it is very common to see that they have obtained a mortgage based on income figures which are inconsistent with the income shown on their tax returns (if indeed they have made any tax returns).
Is self-certification almost an invitation to lie about your income? Or is it a necessary option for dealing with genuine applicants with fluctuating income or unusual circumstances?
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 32 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 167 3
- Where has Portia gone? 2,054 67
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 134 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 194 5
- recompense capital input 61 1
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 951 22
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 562 14
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 135 3
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 372 9
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 227 5
- Merging my businesses 207 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 570 19
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 462 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 348 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 329 1
- Holiday entitlement 583 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 326 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 157 1
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 238 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 791
- RTI - duplicate employee record 559
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Portia ... Where art thou 316
- Sanzar 313
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- How do you do it 295
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 179