Should self-certified mortgages be banned?
The FSA is reported to be planning to require all mortgage lenders to obtain evidence of the income of persons applying for mortgages in future.
Apparently at present over 40% of new mortgages are advanced based on self-certified figures of income.
I have to say that amongst my 'clients' (normally individuals facing criminal charges) it is very common to see that they have obtained a mortgage based on income figures which are inconsistent with the income shown on their tax returns (if indeed they have made any tax returns).
Is self-certification almost an invitation to lie about your income? Or is it a necessary option for dealing with genuine applicants with fluctuating income or unusual circumstances?
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 22 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 585 27
- Retrospective VAT Claim 73 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 320 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,384 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 202 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 373 6
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 144 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 189 2
- VAT on employee loan 243 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 177 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 699 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 146 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 74 2
- Purchased Goodwill 108 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 94 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 204 4
- Recruitment agencies 584 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 520 20
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 270 9
- New Fangled Penalties 1,076
- Moving away from CCH software 929
- QROP pension input amounts 424
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 337
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 262
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 235
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 209
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189