Should self-certified mortgages be banned?
The FSA is reported to be planning to require all mortgage lenders to obtain evidence of the income of persons applying for mortgages in future.
Apparently at present over 40% of new mortgages are advanced based on self-certified figures of income.
I have to say that amongst my 'clients' (normally individuals facing criminal charges) it is very common to see that they have obtained a mortgage based on income figures which are inconsistent with the income shown on their tax returns (if indeed they have made any tax returns).
Is self-certification almost an invitation to lie about your income? Or is it a necessary option for dealing with genuine applicants with fluctuating income or unusual circumstances?
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 95 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 59 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 757 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 375 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,434 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 175 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 454 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 126 3
- What would you do in this situation? 192 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 145 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 619 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 650 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 100 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 348 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 222 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 414 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 282 10
- Regional Development Grant 132 4
- Bonus Bonds 394
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 385
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 298
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 189
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Company Car Lease 161
- Finance Lease 158
- Form 42 151
- Demerger Reserve 132