Should self-certified mortgages be banned?
The FSA is reported to be planning to require all mortgage lenders to obtain evidence of the income of persons applying for mortgages in future.
Apparently at present over 40% of new mortgages are advanced based on self-certified figures of income.
I have to say that amongst my 'clients' (normally individuals facing criminal charges) it is very common to see that they have obtained a mortgage based on income figures which are inconsistent with the income shown on their tax returns (if indeed they have made any tax returns).
Is self-certification almost an invitation to lie about your income? Or is it a necessary option for dealing with genuine applicants with fluctuating income or unusual circumstances?
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,648 21
- Anybody still doing returns? 67 4
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 300 13
- Clothing 392 8
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 85 6
- Why do I do this every year 538 13
- HMRC filing meltdown? 698 24
- Interest on pre-letting? 46 3
- client can't/won't pay 2,012 45
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 281 5
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,650 43
- Self assesment online 1,064 13
- Xero sales report by customer - how? 117 1
- Anybody Use Brightpay 744 20
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 255 11
- Tax Credit Office opening hours 146 1
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 150 4
- Payment of tax due on 2014/15 Self Assessment tax return 166 2
- Non resident income. 486 21
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 301 22
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 939
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 656
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 606
- Latest phishing scam 585
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 422
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 317
- Scratch Head 249
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 243
- Sabbatical payments 207
- Negligible Value Claim 182