Should the smoking ban in pubs be repealed or modified ?
I would guess that everyone has a pub or two amongst their clients.
We have noticed a huge change in profitability since the smoking ban, and of course increased beer costs are simply magnifying this. Indeed we have just advised one of our clients that, in winter (out of the holiday season), they would do better to close Monday - Thursday and save on staff costs etc. Prior to the smoking ban even winter nights were worth opening, but not now.
They have a succesful food trade, but, in winter even that trade fell drastically following the smoking ban as smokers are not willing to stand outside in the wind and rain.
The government is planning to rip up much of Labours legislation. Should they rip up, or at least modify, this legislation, to allow pubs etc to have some provision for smokers without them having to stand outside, or, are we willing to see the inevitable death of the traditional British pub?
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 100 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 412 12
- What would you do in this situation? 102 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 121 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 599 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 623 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 75 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 339 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 240 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 216 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 380 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,389 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 300 5
- NOVA 549 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 269 10
- Regional Development Grant 116 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,389 21
- Company car without a salary 227 2
- Charity donations 1,079 21
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 149 2
- Bonus Bonds 390
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 377
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 288
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 256
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 186
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 171
- Finance Lease 155
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 129