Should the smoking ban in pubs be repealed or modified ?
I would guess that everyone has a pub or two amongst their clients.
We have noticed a huge change in profitability since the smoking ban, and of course increased beer costs are simply magnifying this. Indeed we have just advised one of our clients that, in winter (out of the holiday season), they would do better to close Monday - Thursday and save on staff costs etc. Prior to the smoking ban even winter nights were worth opening, but not now.
They have a succesful food trade, but, in winter even that trade fell drastically following the smoking ban as smokers are not willing to stand outside in the wind and rain.
The government is planning to rip up much of Labours legislation. Should they rip up, or at least modify, this legislation, to allow pubs etc to have some provision for smokers without them having to stand outside, or, are we willing to see the inevitable death of the traditional British pub?
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 48 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 152 4
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 56 2
- Online filing 105 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 309 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 90 4
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,628 25
- Share swap 265 7
- EC sales list and reverse charge 76 2
- Converting a barn for business use 68 1
- Was I rude 649 17
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 195 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 91 2
- Joint rental income 80 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 301 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 123 4
- Auto enrolment 378 6
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 326 3
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 93 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 180 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 802
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 442
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 412
- Sale of business 380
- NOVA 277
- IRIS Open Books problem 273
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 190
- Expenses claim for non employee 180