Should the smoking ban in pubs be repealed or modified ?
I would guess that everyone has a pub or two amongst their clients.
We have noticed a huge change in profitability since the smoking ban, and of course increased beer costs are simply magnifying this. Indeed we have just advised one of our clients that, in winter (out of the holiday season), they would do better to close Monday - Thursday and save on staff costs etc. Prior to the smoking ban even winter nights were worth opening, but not now.
They have a succesful food trade, but, in winter even that trade fell drastically following the smoking ban as smokers are not willing to stand outside in the wind and rain.
The government is planning to rip up much of Labours legislation. Should they rip up, or at least modify, this legislation, to allow pubs etc to have some provision for smokers without them having to stand outside, or, are we willing to see the inevitable death of the traditional British pub?
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 647 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 56 1
- cold file reviewer needed 37 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 695 10
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,136 10
- Auto Enrolment - Again I assume 1,363 14
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 147 2
- Retained Earnings - loss 208 10
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 145 5
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 94 2
- break even point 850 23
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 407 3
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 643 19
- National Insurance Contributions 190 4
- VAT for Small Property Development Company 167 6
- Limited Company trading status. 87 1
- ANIMAL ADOPTION SCHEME 178 1
- Dividends 144 1
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 395 11
- Easy way to de-register as employer? 210 2
- Possible Partnership? 491
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 467
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 454
- New Fangled Penalties 283
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 248
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 246
- Clubs and Taxable Income 245
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 238
- Loans to other companies 186
- Tasbook email configuration 175