Should the smoking ban in pubs be repealed or modified ?
I would guess that everyone has a pub or two amongst their clients.
We have noticed a huge change in profitability since the smoking ban, and of course increased beer costs are simply magnifying this. Indeed we have just advised one of our clients that, in winter (out of the holiday season), they would do better to close Monday - Thursday and save on staff costs etc. Prior to the smoking ban even winter nights were worth opening, but not now.
They have a succesful food trade, but, in winter even that trade fell drastically following the smoking ban as smokers are not willing to stand outside in the wind and rain.
The government is planning to rip up much of Labours legislation. Should they rip up, or at least modify, this legislation, to allow pubs etc to have some provision for smokers without them having to stand outside, or, are we willing to see the inevitable death of the traditional British pub?
- FPS responses ... 163 5
- CGT on transfer of shares to Holding company 93 3
- Late leaver notification 311 6
- How to handle accidental overpayment into SIPP 122 1
- How does one compete? 389 7
- Ouch. Those penalties sting 871 15
- Self explanatory? I hope so! 150 1
- Should small companies be audited? 1,078 44
- semi retirement 279 4
- ATT Exam Question 237 6
- shareholder remuneration 259 9
- Help with small charity CT600 please!! 320 3
- Where has Portia gone? 9,078 144
- proposed dividends 347 16
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 1,488 28
- Dividend and pension with no salary 437 4
- NICs and director salary if receiving pension 115 1
- Vat on solicitors charges 343 7
- What does PITA mean? 722 17
- VATable supplies 152 3
- Sanzar 473
- Digital marketing focus group 389
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 365
- Continuity Agreement 309
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 301
- Sainsbury's mangement 297
- Avanti Accounts 296
- Buyback 277
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 221
- Iris and Miicrosoft 365 191