Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- Xerocon 2016 1,092 28
- New Build 79 1
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 67 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,230 43
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 696 15
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 81 1
- USA Tax Query 250 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 400 5
- last minute request 588 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 301 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 331 7
- Personal Tax 567 11
- Disengagement Help! 1,701 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 967 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 371 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 618 18
- Corrupt Excel File 687 10
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 2,000 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 295 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 447 7