Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- Cross Border VAT Reclaims 178 5
- Excessive Security 526 21
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 589 14
- Fee protection 210 8
- Ltd company or sole trader 194 8
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 345 5
- LLP classification of division of profit 136 4
- Changes in NHS pensions 179 1
- Free Agent data? 194 3
- Generic PAYE notices 181 4
- Reusing dissolved company name? 152 2
- deductions for OMB companies 190 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 168 4
- Insolvent Liquidation 113 1
- insolvency ip control 163 1
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 142 3
- Mature student with NO GCSEs or A levels but with very solid 2:1 degree, needs help? 542 9
- What tax rules apply to oversea representative office employees in UK? 90 1
- UK company avoiding tax 237 2
- Finland 106 1
- Xtuple 480
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 270
- Industrial & Provident Societies 260
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 202
- Mehjoo 198
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 166
- New strategic report 161
- South African Government Pension 138
- Domain name sale and limited company 136