Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 199 6
- One off meeting new client 1,641 16
- Legal title not in the company name 726 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,152 63
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 220 3
- inheritance tax 309 10
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 511 4
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 170 3
- NALS Accountants Report 333 5
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,222 44
- Farm barn lettings 214 4
- Group Audit Thresholds 326 9
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 287 4
- Deduction from Salary 600 14
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 188 5
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 286 7
- Sole properietor 405 7
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,562 12
- Pay in Lieu of notice 285 6
- Doctor and Locum Work 231 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 638
- Cancelled 391
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 352
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 304
- Probiz 296
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 274
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 253
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 196