Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 218 8
- VAT on garage rent 47 4
- Tasks for new trainees 79 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 56 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 24 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 532 15
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 45 1
- Offshore insurance bonds 94 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,629 46
- Property scam victim 288 4
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 208 5
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 238 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,798 19
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 157 6
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 129 2
- Partnership returns software 83 1
- Personal consumption by landlord 266 2
- Business purchase cost - treatment? 67 1
- Has anyone got copies of the Tolley's CTA study manual pdfs from last year? 87 1
- company loss, Can he start again?? 153 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,082
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 570
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 381
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 285
- Charge out rates in London? 238
- Interest on Loan to a Company 184
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 171
- Agent fees to sell business 161
- Alphabet shares 157
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 150