Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 67 3
- ACCA practice certificates 461 5
- Limited company buying director's car 251 10
- Limited company buying a car 67 2
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 43 1
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 77 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 41 1
- WC's and capital allowances 155 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 282 13
- Dress code 1,531 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 468 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 233 6
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 418 7
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 359 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 464 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 149 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 83 3
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 180 4
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 161 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,434 17
- CTA study material 763
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 473
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 383
- Employment related securities question 303
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 253
- Expat pension contributions? 252
- Trust for Employee 230
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 162
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 144