Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 123 1
- Residential leeting and repairs 47 2
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 218 1
- Share swap 327 9
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 155 4
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 218 11
- Late P45 37 1
- VAT on motor expenses 927 34
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 441 14
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 497 8
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,746 23
- another ir35!!!! 1,191 8
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 128 2
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 247 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,403 42
- Sage 50 143 1
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 269 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 213 9
- Introduction of Goodwill 269 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 136 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,552
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 240
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- Management expenses for investment company 219
- Bonus Bonds 211
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196
- Help with tax codes on Sage 158