Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 198 7
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 58 2
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 120 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 448 17
- Paid too much !! 166 1
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 81 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 67 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 67 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 471 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 739 11
- Sports Sponsorship 114 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 239 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 207 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 201 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,307 14
- Best software for small practice? 604 19
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,261 21
- HMRC Enquiry 475 2
- Car purchase Lease or Buy 223 7
- Notifying HMRC when striking off company that never traded 290 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 764
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 453
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 271
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 244
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 223
- CGT for NOn UK residents 216
- Apprenticeship Levy 195
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181