Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 124 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 425 8
- Fees 420 5
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 498 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 270 3
- www.pool.adzio 123 2
- Time to ditch Sage? 372 6
- Losses carry forward to self employed 152 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,870 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 274 3
- HMRC Post 556 7
- Transactions with directors 468 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 308 9
- Non VAT invoices 240 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 240 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,427 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 272 5
- Form 17 Download 189 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 588 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 404 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 765
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 417
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 369
- Electric Car 302
- S222 Charge 248
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 213
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 189
- AIA 186
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 181