Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- Identity Checks 119 3
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 408 1
- Property pages or self-employed? 187 3
- Software for Accounts layout 31 1
- Need help with How much or do I charge to much 255 5
- Allowable expenses on retal property 188 2
- Mandatory Capitalisation 141 2
- Running Sage on a Mac 125 1
- Why are so many UK accountants reticent to make use of Indian outsourcing providers? 4,337 94
- HMRC CT600 TOOL 292 5
- Cash bashed (FRS) vs cash accounting (standard VAT)? 149 2
- notarising & legalising documents 192 4
- question 456 4
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 427 11
- Income prior to company formation 228 8
- VAT on farm machinery sold 157 2
- Seeking advice: Tax on investing in a subsidiary 167 6
- Any thoughts on Capium? 431 3
- When to register or not for PAYE 468 8
- Can criminal action be a defence? 230 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 290
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 262
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 262
- French ConnectionUK 206
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 194
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 187
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 185
- APN's 175
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 151
- FRS 101 Software 141