Should wages paid to daughter be included in Directors Remuneration note?
One of my recent clients is a company with a sole director and shareholder who takes no salary himself but apparently does play an active role. Originally it was his son-in-law who was going to run the company but he didn't want to be either a director or a shareholder due to a long-running dispute with someone who ran another business with him. In fact, he is not even an employee and takes all his fees via an umbrella company.
I was going to disclose him as a shadow director but he and his father-in-law are dead against it. They argue that things have changed since the business was started and the son-in-law no longer plays an active part. Apparently the father-in-law makes all key decisions himself. I have asked them to put all this in writing!
I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (apart from the fact the son-in-law was at the initial meeting and it was he who first contacted me) so no reason to disbelieve them. Also, I don't think the son-in-law is disqualified or an undischarged bankrupt so no issues there.
His wife is employed by the company and the director (her father) wants to pay her a £22k bonus. This is fairly material as profit before tax was about £100k. My question is whether this should be disclosed in the Directors Remuneration note. The FRSSE (section 17) is silent on this although it does define Directors Family. I wonder whether this is just for related party transactions or includes the remuneration note too. As it is salary it does not have to be disclosed as a related party transaction, so no worries there.
His mother is also employed as a book-keeper (which she does very well) but if he is not a shadow director then I assume her salary will not require disclosure under Directors Remuneration.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 281 10
- Final accounts - procedure 195 3
- Accountex flash mob 387 12
- Issues involved in an Asset Transfer from a Sports Club to a Charity? 108 1
- Cash extraction pre-sale 104 2
- Child benefit 188 6
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 91 1
- IR 35 99 2
- IT systems + software 71 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 386 10
- ACCA UK Practising Certificate 137 2
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager Connection Problem 101 1
- Money Laundering and handover 635 4
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,471 29
- Property sale split between years 303 10
- Capital introduction 240 6
- CIS Deductions 338 9
- Inheritance Tax Advice 254 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 227 8
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 254 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 645
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 408
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 337
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 303
- Using the correct forms 301
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 288
- Digital marketing focus group 199
- Sage Vat return box 2 198