Should we learn a lesson from this ?
Mass murderer Derrick Bird was tipped over the edge by a major tax investigation into an undeclared £60,000 which he feared would see him sent to prison, it was disclosed last night.
Increasingly desperate and drinking heavily, he became embroiled in a bitter dispute with his twin brother David who was the first of his 12 victims.
Bird, 52, killed brother David then family solicitor Kevin Commons, who he thought was colluding to cheat him out of his mother's £96,000 inheritance.
He wanted the money to clear his tax demand which exceeded £10,000 after the Inland Revenue caught him with £60,000 in undeclared and untaxed earnings in a bank account, a friend said last night.
Fellow taxi driver Mark Cooper said: 'All he said was that they had caught him with £60,000 in the bank. He said, "They have caught me with £60,000 in the bank, the tax people". He just said, "I'll go to jail".
We know how threatening HMRC letters can be.
We know how HMRC refuse to allow time to pay.
We know the stresses this can cause.
We are all guilty of underestimating it's effect on clients because we have "seen it all before".
But, if the above report is true, is it time for HMRC's methods to be changed. Is it possible that 12 people died because of a £10,000 tax demand? Do we really understand just how desparate such demands can make people?
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 356 17
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 65 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 559 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 79 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 273 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 124 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 530 11
- Flat rate vat error 331 7
- EC VAT 213 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 533 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 289 14
- can I claim a per diem 271 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 141 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,380 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 249 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 111 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 301 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 540 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 869 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 170 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 843
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 509
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 322
- How to format a stock book 292
- Tax efficient holding company structure 230
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 230
- Investment property company accounts template 220
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 214
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 184
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 182