SMP and SSP
Now forgive the ignorance please. Despite being qualified and having a 22 year accountancy career, I've never had to deal with payroll, SMP, SSP and things like that. Until now. And I know very little about it, so I would appreciate your help on the following 2 matters.
1. One of my clients is a limited company, husband and wife team, each receiving a salary of only £6468 gross per annum (£539 per month) from which only a minor amount of NI is deducted. The wife took some time off work after having a baby, taking the maximum time off work as is covered by SMP. Her company continued paying her the monthly £539 less the NI deduction. SMP was then recovered by the company. For the purposes of the accounts (Financial Statements), am I right in assuming that this income should be treated as 'other' within the P&L, before being added back in the CT Computation?
2. Another client ran a limited company and, for many years, paid himself up to the NI threshold (£5715 in recent years), as was reflected in his company's P35 and his own P60. He then fell ill for several months, during which he claimed SSP. The SSP ended in December 2009, after having claimed it for the maximum period. On completing the P35 and P60 for the year ended 5 April 2010, his only entry was his salary for £5715. Now, in February 2011, his company has received a PAYE tax demand to repay all of the SSP. He thought that he qualified for SSP (irrespective of the company actually paying any NI), so does not understand why his company's now being asked to repay it. Is the demand payable, or did he make a mistake on the P35/P14 (missing out any reference to SSP) which could now be corrected?
Any comments would be much appreciated.
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,186 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 217 6
- Xerocon 2016 1,007 23
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 227 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 584 12
- Personal Tax 482 11
- USA Tax Query 154 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,658 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 942 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 275 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 597 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 348 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 402 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 165 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 317 4
- last minute request 504 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,253 46