Standard Payment Terms For Subcontractors In the Construction Industry
As cashflows get tighter I currently have a disagreement over what payment terms are the industry standard for progress payments within the construction industry.
Terms are normally specified in the contract however what are fair terms? The main contractor will obviously try and suit themselves as to how late thay can pay.
My understanding however is that standard payment terms would be 30 days from the date of application for payment, stretching to 45 days being the latest date that the contractor can pay.
It is also my experience that Contractors regularly ignore the due dates and stretch credit to breaking point for a lot of small subcontractors.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience of getting paid and what the industry norm is for sub-contract work.
In particular is there anyone out there lucky enough to get paid within 7 days from the date of application or is that just fantasy land?
- Working out a daily rate 62 5
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,823 62
- Auto enrolment 1,190 13
- Payroll dates 73 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 270 8
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 399 23
- Withholding of tax 68 1
- missing 908 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 130 3
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 77 1
- are receipts needed? 122 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 505 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 186 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 144 7
- Partnership merger 81 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 714 25
- Know it alls (who don't) 839 19
- VAT on motor expenses 997 36
- Incorporation with pending court case 185 3
- Reposted question 165 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,570
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 868
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 335
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 245
- Management expenses for investment company 226
- Bonus Bonds 225
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 216
- Help with tax codes on Sage 167
- Capital reduction 160