Standard Payment Terms For Subcontractors In the Construction Industry
As cashflows get tighter I currently have a disagreement over what payment terms are the industry standard for progress payments within the construction industry.
Terms are normally specified in the contract however what are fair terms? The main contractor will obviously try and suit themselves as to how late thay can pay.
My understanding however is that standard payment terms would be 30 days from the date of application for payment, stretching to 45 days being the latest date that the contractor can pay.
It is also my experience that Contractors regularly ignore the due dates and stretch credit to breaking point for a lot of small subcontractors.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience of getting paid and what the industry norm is for sub-contract work.
In particular is there anyone out there lucky enough to get paid within 7 days from the date of application or is that just fantasy land?
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 244 3
- Cocaine anyone? 81 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,455 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 798 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 423 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 238 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 306 11
- Tax return software for remote working 463 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 506 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 421 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 442 9
- How to purchase business premises? 145 2
- Will I need to resign? 807 10
- Childcare vouchers 160 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 271 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 297 6
- VAT avoidance? 220 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 183 3
- PAYE coding out 179 3
- Follower cases 574 2
- Hive up 469
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 437
- corporate hierarchy 415
- Advice - 243
- Amortisation of Goodwill 215
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 202
- WWOOFers 199
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 178
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 178
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 176