Standard Payment Terms For Subcontractors In the Construction Industry
As cashflows get tighter I currently have a disagreement over what payment terms are the industry standard for progress payments within the construction industry.
Terms are normally specified in the contract however what are fair terms? The main contractor will obviously try and suit themselves as to how late thay can pay.
My understanding however is that standard payment terms would be 30 days from the date of application for payment, stretching to 45 days being the latest date that the contractor can pay.
It is also my experience that Contractors regularly ignore the due dates and stretch credit to breaking point for a lot of small subcontractors.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience of getting paid and what the industry norm is for sub-contract work.
In particular is there anyone out there lucky enough to get paid within 7 days from the date of application or is that just fantasy land?
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 391 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 126 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 86 1
- Registered Office 140 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,482 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 311 5
- Partnership Registration 103 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 902 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 106 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 684 12
- Audit Required 1,185 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 304 9
- Residential Management Companies 88 2
- Value pricing 2,852 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 396 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 391 11
- Payroll software for Mac 119 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 115 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 216 5
- CIS and Close Company 208 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 944
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 660
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 398
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 331
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 259
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 250
- Paye procedures for CVA 249
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 196
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 192
- Pension Fixed Protection 188