Standard Payment Terms For Subcontractors In the Construction Industry
As cashflows get tighter I currently have a disagreement over what payment terms are the industry standard for progress payments within the construction industry.
Terms are normally specified in the contract however what are fair terms? The main contractor will obviously try and suit themselves as to how late thay can pay.
My understanding however is that standard payment terms would be 30 days from the date of application for payment, stretching to 45 days being the latest date that the contractor can pay.
It is also my experience that Contractors regularly ignore the due dates and stretch credit to breaking point for a lot of small subcontractors.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience of getting paid and what the industry norm is for sub-contract work.
In particular is there anyone out there lucky enough to get paid within 7 days from the date of application or is that just fantasy land?
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 930 45
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 491 21
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 315 16
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,260 417
- Is this fraud? 503 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 55 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 261 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 28 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 152 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 143 1
- Naming new company 303 6
- Saying goodbye 530 14
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 136 1
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 193 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 647 5
- Pension Contributions Relief 396 12
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 90 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 793 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,485 31
- Tax on private fuel for own car 222 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,281
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 457
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 265
- Franchise income and costs 243
- Hands on experience of Digita 205
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 152
- Employer's Helpline 151
- employment capital allowances 142