Standard Payment Terms For Subcontractors In the Construction Industry
As cashflows get tighter I currently have a disagreement over what payment terms are the industry standard for progress payments within the construction industry.
Terms are normally specified in the contract however what are fair terms? The main contractor will obviously try and suit themselves as to how late thay can pay.
My understanding however is that standard payment terms would be 30 days from the date of application for payment, stretching to 45 days being the latest date that the contractor can pay.
It is also my experience that Contractors regularly ignore the due dates and stretch credit to breaking point for a lot of small subcontractors.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience of getting paid and what the industry norm is for sub-contract work.
In particular is there anyone out there lucky enough to get paid within 7 days from the date of application or is that just fantasy land?
- Unallocated client money 325 9
- change of office address 223 7
- Property initial recognition 17 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 347 13
- Consolidation and Comparatives 13 1
- SAGE V12 95 2
- Errors in prior year accounts 718 19
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 213 5
- Expenses Apps 201 4
- Goodwill 56 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 248 6
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 219 9
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 279 6
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 230 3
- Furniture Rental Business 166 4
- Solicitor accounts 222 5
- Real names 1,354 41
- Illegal dividends 105 1
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 176 3
- What are options for non CA firm 1,866 32
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 608
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 497
- Sorry ignore me 395
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 369
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 283
- Cancelled 255
- Cancelled 227
- Bartercard 187
- C79 Discrepancy 179
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 168