Standard Payment Terms For Subcontractors In the Construction Industry
As cashflows get tighter I currently have a disagreement over what payment terms are the industry standard for progress payments within the construction industry.
Terms are normally specified in the contract however what are fair terms? The main contractor will obviously try and suit themselves as to how late thay can pay.
My understanding however is that standard payment terms would be 30 days from the date of application for payment, stretching to 45 days being the latest date that the contractor can pay.
It is also my experience that Contractors regularly ignore the due dates and stretch credit to breaking point for a lot of small subcontractors.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience of getting paid and what the industry norm is for sub-contract work.
In particular is there anyone out there lucky enough to get paid within 7 days from the date of application or is that just fantasy land?
- Dress code 1,399 32
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 141 1
- Limited company buying director's car 94 5
- Scottish Independance 653 17
- Entrepeneurs relief 196 10
- How to complain about HMRC 1,300 15
- Historical figures for WTC 52 1
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 93 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 128 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 145 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 418 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,150 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 109 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 256 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 423 6
- WC's and capital allowances 103 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 259 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 890 10
- carry back of gift aid 125 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 139 3
- CTA study material 756
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 467
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 362
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Expat pension contributions? 246
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 145
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142