Standard Payment Terms For Subcontractors In the Construction Industry
As cashflows get tighter I currently have a disagreement over what payment terms are the industry standard for progress payments within the construction industry.
Terms are normally specified in the contract however what are fair terms? The main contractor will obviously try and suit themselves as to how late thay can pay.
My understanding however is that standard payment terms would be 30 days from the date of application for payment, stretching to 45 days being the latest date that the contractor can pay.
It is also my experience that Contractors regularly ignore the due dates and stretch credit to breaking point for a lot of small subcontractors.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience of getting paid and what the industry norm is for sub-contract work.
In particular is there anyone out there lucky enough to get paid within 7 days from the date of application or is that just fantasy land?
- Anyone had this problem?? 158 4
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 300 4
- Out of time or not? 228 1
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 2,949 98
- Error or mistake in CT return 83 1
- Solicitor wants to rent room in my office but 218 4
- Statement of Accounts 117 5
- Closing my business down 475 21
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 136 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 268 3
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 158 2
- GP's Annual Certificate of Pensionable Profits - Multiple Practices 138 2
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 205 7
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 219 3
- Transfer of Software to sister company 182 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 357 4
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 170 1
- CGT history of shares 246 4
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 306 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 405 6
- QROP pension input amounts 461
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 389
- fraud 313
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 292
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 252
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 230
- First Choice Final Accounts 182
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 168