Standard Payment Terms For Subcontractors In the Construction Industry
As cashflows get tighter I currently have a disagreement over what payment terms are the industry standard for progress payments within the construction industry.
Terms are normally specified in the contract however what are fair terms? The main contractor will obviously try and suit themselves as to how late thay can pay.
My understanding however is that standard payment terms would be 30 days from the date of application for payment, stretching to 45 days being the latest date that the contractor can pay.
It is also my experience that Contractors regularly ignore the due dates and stretch credit to breaking point for a lot of small subcontractors.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience of getting paid and what the industry norm is for sub-contract work.
In particular is there anyone out there lucky enough to get paid within 7 days from the date of application or is that just fantasy land?
- RTI - are HMRC picking any numbers? 147 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 124 8
- Director resignation 589 13
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 141 4
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 350 3
- CIS Contractor 81 2
- Company oversea and VAT 144 6
- Small Business Payroll 112 4
- Relevant Life Insurance 152 4
- VAT on unused stock 202 2
- Bank stream and receipt bank advice... 189 2
- Payslip Count in Sage 50 Payroll 161 2
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,606 6
- WIP Software 374 1
- C79 and VAT Paid to Parcelforce 101 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 219 9
- Dividend Waiver 250 5
- effective advertising 522 10
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 403 10
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 264 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 498
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 473
- No payroll scheme in place 315
- Is there anything wrong with this? 269
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 261
- Uncommercial property business 234
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 201
- SA Penalty 198
- Registering online CWF1 177
- Accrued income scheme 176