Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,637 50
- Not renewing AAT 555 6
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 417 9
- New dividend taxation 244 1
- Company formation and bank account 329 9
- Next Move 598 18
- Owning overseas property 279 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 273 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 188 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 672 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 589 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 221 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 403 8
- OneNote is fantastic 533 11
- VAT Direct Debit 376 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 461 8
- Self Assessment Software 693 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 447 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,364 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 295 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 662
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 395
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 389
- 2015 tax year end 388
- FCA regulated company in a small group 343
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 293
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 234
- DTA tie-breaker issue 203
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 202