Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 236 8
- VAT flat rate scheme 154 2
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 229 4
- Client information from previous accountant 38 1
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 67 2
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 61 1
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 353 5
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 218 2
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 118 5
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,652 31
- PAYE NI 96 2
- quote for winding down two companies and file accounts 104 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 820 14
- How much to charge? 694 10
- break even point 1,001 30
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 171 5
- Accomodation and travel 204 1
- Unpaid Fee's 348 6
- Issue with a software supplier 232 4
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 304 5
- Possible Partnership? 511
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 491
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 466
- New Fangled Penalties 306
- Clubs and Taxable Income 257
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 257
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 249
- Loans to other companies 191
- Tasbook email configuration 183
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 167