Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- Accountants' Error 722 15
- Corporation tax due date confusion 45 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 160 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 155 3
- Scoot 194 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 158 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 215 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 666 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,458 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 113 1
- Regaining my qualification 218 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 242 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 249 2
- Auto enrolment 198 3
- Shareholder agreement 175 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 199 3
- Company Reorganisation 168 3
- Employee Loan 215 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 470 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 601 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,455
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 774
- Any views 702
- HMRC Employers Diary 525
- International interest certificate 427
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 392
- Sale of business 357
- NOVA 261
- Advertising services? 259
- IRIS Open Books problem 252