Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- Lack of VAT Receipt 72 2
- Help with CGT please 35 2
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 311 17
- Will I need to resign? 917 11
- Cocaine anyone? 649 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 250 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 135 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 183 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 175 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 832 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 540 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 707 13
- Personal pension 442 9
- Business rates consultancy 268 4
- Wrong tax code 180 6
- Benefit in Kind 266 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 98 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 311 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,063 31
- Deferred Tax 476 8
- Hive up 513
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 475
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 297
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 240
- WWOOFers 235
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 219
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 195
- The booking.com con 178
- UK State pension paid in NZ 167