Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- HELP...historic SSP query! 53 3
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 679 19
- US share sale - income or capital 38 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,342 12
- flat rate scheme 872 30
- Allocation of income from property 311 8
- Capital allowances on residential property? 112 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 213 2
- Before I call employers helpline 316 2
- TAX CERTIFICATES- DO THEY NEED TAXPAYER'S NAME? 148 1
- Accountants reference for me?? 281 1
- CIS online 171 3
- Class IV NIC 225 3
- bookkeeping system 237 4
- Company van paid by director 133 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,583 46
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 260 3
- changes to small vat returns after death. 171 3
- Private company division 143 1
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 327 6