Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 828 8
- capital gains on PPR 254 14
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 371 14
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,818 443
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 217 4
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 189 7
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 189 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,300 62
- Company expansion 107 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 384 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 502 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 526 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,482 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 264 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 197 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 178 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 301 9
- PRR 374 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 416 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 326 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 373
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 264
- Hands on experience of Digita 215
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 168
- employment capital allowances 165
- CIS paid under reg 9 158