Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 322 15
- Designated sole Residence 94 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 680 15
- Anyone know what this is? 110 6
- Anybody still doing returns? 581 24
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 119 5
- HMRC filing meltdown? 848 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 447 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 241 9
- no utr 245 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,097 49
- Director drawings 592 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 270 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 65 1
- Capital Loss 99 3
- LLP formed in 2013 83 1
- Clothing 480 11
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 164 7
- Practice management 443 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 127 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 948
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 661
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 618
- Latest phishing scam 593
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 432
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 322
- Scratch Head 259
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 245
- Sabbatical payments 210
- Negligible Value Claim 190