Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 676 9
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 409 15
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 715 4
- CT return error message 218 6
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 98 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 1,640 23
- VAT 102 2
- Group subcontracting - accounts not consolidated 68 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 164 2
- FRS17 query 167 1
- Capital repayments 147 3
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 265 6
- Online payroll software 251 4
- Audit rules 291 7
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 588 10
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 275 1
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 268 1
- Sales Commission to Employees / External Companies 69 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 301 2
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 121 1
- Xtuple 534
- Qtac payroll for bureau 367
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 306
- Industrial & Provident Societies 304
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 246
- CIS schemes 194
- Domain name sale and limited company 192
- Investment 172
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 167
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 153