Stock valuation - bit of an unusal one or I'm being a muppet
Firstly apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did have a good look but could not find anything - first time posting.
I have just taken on a new Ltd Company client. The company is 3 years old - the accounts I am preparing are the third set for the year ended 31 December 2010, I have just taken them on from another firm.
The company is made up of 1 director who has invested £150k as a directors loan. The company buys equity shares in FTSE100 companies, holds them for anywhere between 3 months and 18 months and then sells them - pretty simple.
The previous accountants recognised revenue on the completion of a company share or investment transaction for example, they buy £1,000 of shares in company X in 2009, these are then sold in 2010 for £1,200, the £200 revenue is recognised in the YE 31 Dec 2010 accounts.
That's the background so my question is; if the company holds £100,000 of shares (stock) at the year end in 2009 and nothing changes in the company at all apart from the shares going up and down in value, at the end of 2010 the shares are worth £90,000 - obviously the stock figure will decrease by £10,000 but what is the other side of the double entry?
Does it effect the profit and loss this year, do I need to make an adjustment to last years retained P+L, do I create a stock revaluation account or something like you would when a company holds different currencies??
Sorry if this is quite a simple question but I've been staring at excel spreadsheets and bag loads of share info all day and my head is about to explode!!
Thank you for any help or advice you can give - really grateful!
- Hold on a minute (pun intended) 1,263 11
- The importance of Grammar 1,326 40
- Xero Pain Points 550 18
- supply teachers working through Ltd co 132 2
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 202 5
- Best way to draw a salary? 702 12
- PI cover 243 4
- VAT and customer entertaining 220 2
- 2014/15 Tax calculation spread sheet 949 15
- VAT - How hard is it? 738 26
- Profit split from an investment property 180 6
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,438 39
- Tax Implications on Child Benefits 166 1
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 278 6
- tax saving on card points 246 6
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 267 9
- Scissors 895 24
- AIA for a Van, Self Employed 442 6
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 465 10
- Directors exempt from AE? 271 6
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 373
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 329
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 308
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 300
- Electric Car 250
- S222 Charge 218
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 215
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 201
- Company Structure 197
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 175