We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,398 29
- Computerised Accountancy Software 350 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 441 8
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 49 1
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 37 2
- What is the role of an accountant? 972 19
- Personal allowance for a resident of both Belgium and UK? 116 7
- Moneysoft payroll 205 12
- Need to register for SA? 132 3
- Supplier invoice addressed to a different company, how is this treated for VAT? 103 1
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 370 15
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 146 8
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 282 4
- business card address 745 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,856 399
- Time limit 211 4
- Course on trust taxation for qualified ACA? 285 5
- Declined for business bank account 1,001 11
- Benefits in Kind 178 5
- Payroll provider 452 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,246
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 447
- National Insurance 346
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 331
- Non Resident 262
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 262
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 256
- Franchise income and costs 226
- Hands on experience of Digita 171
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 166