We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Continuity of Practice 138 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 98 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 295 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,169 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 234 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 132 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 286 10
- Online Downtime 328 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 314 3
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 205 3
- FPS or EPS 91 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 775 31
- Personal allowance 666 15
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 169 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 1,944 16
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 442 6
- New Fangled Penalties 1,115 1
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 318 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 395 10
- VAT on employee loan 303 5
- Moving away from CCH software 943
- QROP pension input amounts 434
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 376
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 351
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 317
- fraud 276
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 248
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 216
- Construction CIS LLP Company 205
- EPS and CIS deductions 191