We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 1,861 11
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 16 1
- What do "Former Contracted Out" rebates mean 100 1
- Downloads EU VAT from 1/1/15 151 4
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 435 22
- What are options for non CA firm 1,530 18
- Tick & Bash Bristol 199 4
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 88 1
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 49 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 78 1
- Tax position re this lease? 135 2
- VAT on Training Courses 129 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 133 2
- Self employed travel expenses 147 3
- which software 378 4
- Filing Dormant LLPs with Companies House 62 1
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 392 4
- Audit exempt subsidiary 91 1
- Accounting treatment of service charges incurred prior to occupation 142 1
- Best apps for clients 279 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 576
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 448
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 333
- Sorry ignore me 315
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 270
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 262
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 255
- Cancelled 196
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 163