We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Changing shareholding ratio 69 2
- New intermediaries reporting requirements 104 1
- SA1 forms 340 12
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 123 5
- Goodwill Entrepreneurs Relief 83 1
- ICPA 429 6
- Do I need to see receipts ? 692 10
- Share disclosure re- Power of Attorney 141 5
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 525 12
- VAT on services to EC customer 165 3
- Delayed option to tax 179 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 229 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 838 23
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 344 3
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 419 7
- Redundancy Pay 335 4
- question about merging two companies... 203 1
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 455 3
- CG on Spanish property disposal 238 7
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 541 5
- Sainsbury's mangement 821
- Avanti Accounts 672
- Have I done the right thing? 645
- Calling franchise accountants 629
- Continuity Agreement 625
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 482
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 356
- Scammers 320
- Advice please! 227
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 211