We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Elective DeductionsModel 48 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 179 1
- Rental Income 283 6
- Value pricing 159 6
- Payroll 2012/13 83 1
- I have a pain 662 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 61 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 149 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 719 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 103 3
- Cash flow 134 2
- New use of home - simplified method 208 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 256 5
- company secretarial software 103 1
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 364 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,941 32
- Share restructure 327 12
- Liquidation of Subsiduary 145 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,840 14
- P11d error 423 9
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 726
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 496
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 342
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 336
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 261
- VAT on Gaming Machines 210
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 196
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 180
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 172
- Director Loan account operation 146