We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 135 3
- Old CGT loss 227 4
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 962 14
- Trade creditor journal 40 1
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 389 9
- How much of your work is admin? 640 6
- HMRC Distraint 85 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 140 2
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 218 3
- Running two businesses from the same premises 418 5
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,369 42
- Nominal Ledger 395 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 597 20
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 192 2
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 216 3
- Paper tax return 174 4
- Start up allowance? 393 12
- Will I need to resign? 251 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 256 3
- AIA or IFA 461 7