We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 193 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 725 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 806 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 470 10
- Real time 193 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 401 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 256 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 233 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 220 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 603 15
- When to top-up pensions? 185 2
- Support / ticketing software 334 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 333 3
- Imported goods and VAT 147 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 439 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 594 11
- Stamp Duty 188 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,867 22
- Company Number 10000000 999 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 371 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 471
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 290
- DTA tie-breaker issue 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 244
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 218
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 211
- Just checking re PSA 197
- Capital Gains personal representatives 191
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 177