We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Can an owner hold company money 294 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 283 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 200 6
- Class 2 NIC 255 5
- Probate services 427 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 372 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,701 37
- Vat payable on van 132 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,829 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 241 7
- Community Faux Pas 929 26
- Cash gift from India 126 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,308 40
- Windows10 178 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 622 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 471 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 231 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 388 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 872 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 795 14
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 305
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 218
- Is the APN valid 196