We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 122 3
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 298 7
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,913 74
- Disposal of property 137 3
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,690 50
- Property scam victim 344 7
- Giving a seminar 50 2
- 10 year debentures and CT 75 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 442 9
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 302 11
- Shareholder agreement issues on development 61 1
- Tasks for new trainees 203 5
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 835 19
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 596 16
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 132 2
- Partnership returns software 120 2
- VAT on garage rent 173 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 108 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 174 3
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 268 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,103
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 581
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 292
- Charge out rates in London? 249
- Interest on Loan to a Company 193
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 168
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157