We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- What does it mean?? 337 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 285 13
- VAT on motor expenses 887 32
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 81 1
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 62 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,705 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,300 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 92 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 138 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 160 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 191 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 154 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 743 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 386 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 206 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 330 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 113 2
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 393 3
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 94 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 327 15
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 471
- NOVA 328
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 231
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 219
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Management expenses for investment company 207
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 203
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 192