We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 871 19
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 449 9
- Can I become a self employed bookkeeper?? 128 1
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 165 7
- tagging in Iris accounts production for non standard item 99 1
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 82 1
- Tax treatment on the sale of a business 154 4
- Auto-Enrolment 2,843 155
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 98 1
- 'Find an accountant' 186 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 95 1
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 78 1
- Depreciation on property improvements 104 1
- Construction Industry Funding 107 5
- CGT advice on amicable divorce settlement 95 1
- How important are Journals? 325 9
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 720 15
- Company trading loss relief 271 4
- National Insurance 601 1
- Social Worker limited Co 127 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 490
- Skandia using wrong address 432
- Accountants who provide tech/IT advice 378
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 265
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 236
- Employee rewards 227
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 206
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 180
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 179