We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- inflation rate year on year 164 4
- Accounts Question 106 5
- Deleted question? 738 19
- What are options for non CA firm 3,176 67
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,943 69
- MAAT vs ACCA 708 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,400 24
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,928 46
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 656 3
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 447 4
- VAT Return Errors 184 2
- Adjustment to previous self assessments 130 5
- Yorkshire Day 609 38
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 192 4
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 183 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 382 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 151 3
- SMP reclaimable by employer 296 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 238 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 154 1
- Cancelled 471
- Cancelled 388
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 377
- Probiz 358
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 262
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 237
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 232
- More spam 184
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 162
- Employee Benefit Trust 153