We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Capital allowances on Software 209 2
- Designated sole Residence 188 4
- A little knowledge 22 1
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 66 3
- Company director and KIT days 103 1
- client can't/won't pay 2,166 50
- Anybody still doing returns? 830 34
- Clothing 576 18
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 282 12
- Digita in the cloud 37 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 224 7
- IHT and US resident 122 2
- Tax relief when working away 49 1
- Parent and subsidiary... 155 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 207 8
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,242 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 362 16
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 745 15
- Anyone know what this is? 326 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 936 27
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 626
- Latest phishing scam 604
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 328
- Scratch Head 267
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 259
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199