We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 368 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,180 30
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 149 4
- New Company reviews please 636 16
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,085 33
- Business only use of company car 747 27
- Voluntary Disclosure 408 8
- Gift to son by parents 171 1
- valuation of vehicles 495 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 293 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 187 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 415 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 466 4
- BTC is slow 314 3
- Director registration for SA question 535 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 475 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 522 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 532 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 370 4
- VAT with Russia 291 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 326
- Any thoughts on Capium? 264
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 261
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 249
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 229
- auto enrolment 201
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 188
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 173
- How to account for investment in JV? 167
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 159