We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 837 5
- See you all on the other side 847 6
- 12Pay 610 2
- dividends 829 2
- R&D 381 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,255 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 504 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 501 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 472 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 609 5
- Seeking a tax case 732 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 589 4
- Companies house strike off 713 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 535 2
- Moving to the cloud 802 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 238 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 973 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 243 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,142 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 559 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 585
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 437
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 384
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 382
- Marginal rates of tax 377
- IRIS and FRS 102 370
- Class 2 NI 364
- Capitalising Finance Lease 351
- USA help 332
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 320