We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 171 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 420 19
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 159 3
- Scottish Independance 694 20
- Dress code 1,451 34
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 42 1
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 113 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,329 16
- Limited company buying director's car 141 7
- Entrepeneurs relief 223 11
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 154 1
- Historical figures for WTC 65 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 419 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,171 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 120 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 265 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 429 6
- WC's and capital allowances 113 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 270 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 901 10
- CTA study material 761
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 467
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 366
- Employment related securities question 302
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 249
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 247
- Trust for Employee 229
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 149
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142