We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- Companies House 316 6
- Medical benefit on low paid wife of director? 70 4
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 225 7
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 209 6
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 223 8
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 41 1
- Gross Profit Percentage 400 9
- Self employment trap - pension 418 5
- Awkward IP 683 10
- Prepare for Chaos 462 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,712 69
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 204 3
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,673 29
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 606 14
- Payroll Operation post Trading Cessation 110 1
- When does my Property business start 308 5
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 914 20
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 241 10
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 183 1
- How to Value a Business 501 9
- CTA study material 610
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 374
- Employment related securities question 230
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 203
- ATED Penalties 197
- AIM Stocks and IHT 180
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 141
- Expat pension contributions? 135
- Trust for Employee 128
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 121