We have a plumber client who does his own CIS returns. He could not understand why he apparently owed c£1500 unpaid tax at the year end and we agreed to try and reconcile the position. After some investigation it appears he made 2 or 3 errors over the year, the main one being he entered the gross payment in the tax deduction column (although some how paid over the correct amount of tax that qtr) and the net result was that far from owing HMRC money he has actually overpaid.
We notified HMRC Newry (dealing with CIS) on 1st Nov of the adjustments needed and keep the collection people informed along the way with copy letters etc. However yesterday a local debt management officer called at the clients home threatening to take possession of goods etc. He went away leaving the usual letter. I then faxed through to his office copies of all correspondence and telephoned him today on the only number left - his mobile.
His attitude was that he didn't care if the tax was payable or not. Was uninterested in any correspondence previous. As long as the tax was showing as due on the computer it was hhis 'duty' to collect it. I tried to continue to talk to him but he then cut me off!
1. Apart from chasing up Newry (i've tried but they're on skeleton staff due to snow!!) to ensure CIIS return is amended asap
2. Is the officer right in his attitude - not morally (I know the answer to that) but legally?
3. What if he (as threatened) returns - what actually are his powers
4. I believe his attitude and manner was a disgrace - is it worth complaining?
Would love to hear any thoughts out there in the season of goodwill to all (well most) men!
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 149 2
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 400 9
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 121 1
- CGT on house within Limited Company 297 10
- Subsistence Claims 318 3
- India Capital Gain 155 2
- Late filing penalties refunded 114 1
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 351 7
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 225 4
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 551 12
- Care Home - Job Price 306 5
- Fee headache 507 4
- Dormant payroll 758 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 133 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 310 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,547 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 144 1
- This feels wrong.... 1,607 21
- Overlap relief 407 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 222 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 511
- Theatre Tax Relief 421
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 329
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 310
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 288
- Perkbox 238
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 226
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 221
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 199
- Document Management Systems 197