Sub contractor tax enquiry
I will try to keep this short so please bear with me. Roughly 12 months ago HMRC opened an enquiry into the 2009/10 tax return of a subcontractor. At that time my client didn't want to incur my fees to handle the enquiry so against my advice he took over dealing with HMRC. The enquiry has been dragging on because my client has been ignoring the letters and then went to work overseas for a few months.
When preparing the 2009/10 return he only provided me with 4 months worth of CIS vouchers. He maintained that he has only worked for 4 months (very bad year), so the tax return was submitted on this basis, showing gross earnings of £3,780. Anyway HMRC have since forwarded him a schedule of CIS vouchers which shows he worked for 5 months and earned £6,820. He now accepts that perhaps he was wrong and that he didn't receive or retain all the paperwork he should have.
Last week he showed me the most recent letter from HMRC, which is asking for copies of all bank statements into which self employed income were deposited. Having previously told HMRC that he was supported financially by his partner along with occasional monies lent from bank of mum and dad. The letter also asks for details of what his partner earns and copies of bank statements from mum and dad showing where they lent money to their son.
My first reaction is to tell HMRC to bugger off as their requests are not reasonable to the enquiry. Having read the all the previous letters from HMRC to my client I get the impression they are on a fishing trip. I was just wondering if this was a client of yours how would you approach this enquiry with HMRC? All thoughts/comments welcome.
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 342 9
- HELP...historic SSP query! 80 3
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 725 19
- US share sale - income or capital 57 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,360 12
- flat rate scheme 891 30
- Allocation of income from property 318 8
- Capital allowances on residential property? 129 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 225 2
- Before I call employers helpline 327 2
- TAX CERTIFICATES- DO THEY NEED TAXPAYER'S NAME? 166 1
- Accountants reference for me?? 300 1
- CIS online 183 3
- Class IV NIC 243 3
- bookkeeping system 248 4
- Company van paid by director 145 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,592 46
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 264 3
- changes to small vat returns after death. 183 3
- Private company division 153 1