Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Tier One Tribunal 6 1
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 236 5
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 24 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 784 25
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 115 2
- Another transfer of property 105 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 199 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 74 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 560 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 79 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 147 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 171 1
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 861 40
- Tax relief for networking day out? 551 14
- SA316s 214 3
- Swiching tax 542 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 530 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 387 11
- Start-up cost recognition 124 1
- Lunches 300 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 611
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 592
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 388
- Pensions Regulator 355
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 292
- Using the correct forms 267
- RTI - duplicate employee record 262
- SA penalty proposals 257
- Accelerated payment notices 237
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 233