Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Self-assessment statistics 2,474 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 220 5
- Transmission of ISA 50 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 190 2
- Next Move 715 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 187 2
- Not renewing AAT 677 9
- CGT of shares gifted 383 6
- New dividend taxation 507 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,799 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 164 1
- Company car v company allowance 291 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 437 9
- Company formation and bank account 442 9
- Owning overseas property 353 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 291 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 286 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 711 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 739 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 287 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 668
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 399
- 2015 tax year end 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- FCA regulated company in a small group 347
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 320
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- DTA tie-breaker issue 211
- Costly Accounting Software contract 209