Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Doctor and Locum Work 172 3
- Pay in Lieu of notice 149 5
- Legal title not in the company name 589 16
- Farm barn lettings 153 3
- inheritance tax 97 3
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 74 1
- Capital payments offshore trust 67 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 100 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,218 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 107 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 185 1
- Deduction from Salary 471 11
- State pension 162 1
- NALS Accountants Report 295 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 261 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,137 40
- CIC Company 620 11
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 285 6
- This is getting boring 498 10
- 27,000 Really? 779 24
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 632
- Cancelled 378
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 349
- Cancelled 323
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 298
- Probiz 288
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 260
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 246
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 217
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 194