Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 163 4
- Non sequitur 270 3
- Pattern for CTA 253 6
- PAYE versus Dividends 177 4
- Employee or partner 44 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 192 5
- The Cotter Case 195 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 150 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 166 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 90 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 945 16
- Sole Trader business 157 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 159 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 148 1
- Giving a seminar 687 36
- Tax position on lease extension 181 1
- Boffin of the Year 313 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 226 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 243 4
- Sage Depreciation 90 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,310
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 644
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 336
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 266
- Alphabet shares 222
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 156