Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- How much does the company pay 511 21
- I have done a terrible thing 585 14
- VAT on Business Premises 52 2
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 21 1
- Consolidation Software 121 2
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 424 11
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,002 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,145 32
- Anyone else still working this week? 297 9
- HMRC property income enquiry 271 6
- LLp Profits 136 5
- two business from one premises 128 2
- AIA 240 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 337 20
- partnership tax return 156 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 182 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 105 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 303 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,179 27
- s455 tax 148 3
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 501
- corporate hierarchy 464
- Advice - 316
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 266
- WWOOFers 255
- The booking.com con 234
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 233
- Cocaine anyone? 218
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 214
- UK State pension paid in NZ 174