Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 370 6
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,275 15
- Final year's accounts 132 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 226 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 282 5
- Errors in prior year accounts 814 21
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 302 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 218 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 124 2
- VAT & capitalising 101 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,966 36
- Invoice Help 241 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 168 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 240 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 231 3
- Sorry ignore me 906 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 584 5
- Free Shares ? 246 2
- Is this a scam? 574 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 300 7
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 532
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 192
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 176
- Married woman dies owning marital home 166
- What's the market like for temps? 165