Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Dress code 203 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,390 24
- What would you do in this situation? 553 13
- Help Required 341 10
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 252 10
- directors control and tax problems 182 5
- Fastest Software 766 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 933 28
- What's in a name ? 307 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 236 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 427 15
- Bulk Invoicing 172 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 151 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 245 2
- ATED Penalties 273 1
- late second payment on account 174 2
- US royalties 96 2
- Project being run jointly 138 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 184 2
- Sole trader mix up 309 4
- CTA study material 703
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 426
- Employment related securities question 268
- AIM Stocks and IHT 246
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 200
- Trust for Employee 188
- Expat pension contributions? 186
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 178
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 158
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 151