Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- do i pay vat when buying a business 95 4
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 24 2
- Introduction of Goodwill 361 7
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 197 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,036 67
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 118 3
- Working out a daily rate 280 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 593 20
- Professional Clearance 68 1
- are receipts needed? 326 11
- New accountant 439 8
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 582 9
- Loss Relief 134 2
- Tax case reference request 210 3
- How to? 144 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 170 1
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,414 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 509 6
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 111 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 225 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,589
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 885
- International interest certificate 494
- NOVA 349
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 273
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 255
- Management expenses for investment company 243
- Bonus Bonds 241
- Help with tax codes on Sage 186
- Capital reduction 172