Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Transfer of property to director & shareholder 7 1
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 65 3
- CGT on transfer of property 161 11
- The stupidity continues 1,732 78
- Xero Training 311 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 45 1
- Gift of asset between couple living as husband and wife 49 1
- 45p mileage - stupid question 142 2
- Two trades one individual - Vat registration? 359 4
- Cis refund for company 112 2
- Capital Event? 71 2
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,420 26
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 137 5
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 249 5
- Withdrawing company car 164 2
- What is IRIS World like? 450 11
- looking for a practice consultant 263 3
- RE assets introduced and rent 135 2
- AML report needed? 224 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 321 6
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 449
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 449
- WIP Software 313
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 296
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 249
- No payroll scheme in place 247
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 223
- Is there anything wrong with this? 218
- Small Part Disposal of Property 207
- Uncommercial property business 197