Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Goods Purchased for Rental 665 34
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,012 31
- Second Incomes Campaign 145 2
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 251 8
- Professional Clearance 1,558 24
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 269 4
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 405 6
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 399 11
- Interflora florist 211 3
- Sole trader hid directorships. 90 1
- More HMRC on gov.uk 468 9
- VAT on finance leases 96 1
- Friendly Pensions 223 1
- Online Timesheet Facility 89 1
- Problem ex client...again.. 1,746 15
- Company Reorganisation 309 4
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 200 5
- CGT on second home? 260 4
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 221 8
- Double tax agreement - do you show income on UK return even if the DTA says it is taxed in the other country? 153 2
- NOVA 495
- Bonus Bonds 384
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 365
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 280
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 246
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 169
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 156
- Finance Lease 150
- Company Car Lease 146
- Form 42 137