Tax avoidance = benefit scrounging - according to Nick Clegg.
"Today Mr Clegg will accuse middle class earners who pay accountants to minimise their tax bills of behaving like ‘benefit cheats’.
He will say that legal tax avoidance and illegal evasion are ‘just as bad’ as falsely claiming benefits, adding: ‘Both come down to stealing money from your neighbours."
Sources at HMRC suggested that “voice recognition analysis”, which alerts investigators when a caller claiming benefits sounds nervous, could be used to identify those seeking to mislead tax inspectors.
So - Mr Clegg wants to make legally arranging your affairs an "offence" and in one speech insults an entire profession and vast numbers of small business owners.
"Voice recognition analysis" is not accepted in courts and is, at best, little better than witchcraft based upon highly questionable pseudo-scientific theories which have been discredited time and again in the courts (particularly in the USA). Despite this HMRC want to use it - which is one way of reducing phone calls because no sensible person would allow themselves to be falsly accused based on such mumbo-jumbo.
Clegg wants to harass innocent taxpayers, (particularly those with small businesses and paying the 50% tax rate), to intrusive investigations based on no facts whatsoever and actually wants to brand them as "criminals" for obeying the law.
I believe it is time the accountancy profession stood up to these bullying tactics and made it veery clear to government and to HMRC that we will not tolerate clients being harassed, villified, and threatened for doing what is totally legal.
- Relevance of UK Residency 75 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 201 4
- Entrepreneurs Relief 661 31
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 96 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,016 14
- Invoice dispute 546 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 234 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 398 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 81 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 94 1
- More AE! 590 12
- IHT dilemma 1,312 20
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 422 4
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,017 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 212 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 160 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 207 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 315 3
- Aweb tracking ... 277 3
- PAYE 1,470 16
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,133
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 789
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 473
- Digita Hosted Software 313
- Credit where credit's due....... 252
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 217
- Director phone costs 206
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 180
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 154
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 142