Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Company assets 280 11
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 454 8
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,018 12
- Director resignation 705 21
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,767 30
- Additional information attached to accounts 105 1
- CIS Only Scheme 67 1
- No payroll scheme in place 335 1
- Xero Training 379 3
- SA Penalty 219 1
- VAT on Part Contribution towards Safety Boots 235 13
- Debtor weighting by sales 74 1
- The stupidity continues 2,802 103
- Company oversea and VAT 172 7
- Am I too soft? 1,076 14
- looking for a practice consultant 377 4
- Sample wording for fair usage terms 189 2
- Landlord probs - IHT, CGT and cashflow 443 11
- Small Business Payroll 200 7
- RTI - are HMRC picking any numbers? 247 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 498
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 474
- Is there anything wrong with this? 275
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 263
- Uncommercial property business 235
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 202
- Registering online CWF1 180
- Accrued income scheme 176
- VAT - registration needed? 172
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 170