Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 44 1
- Employers NI allowance 290 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 597 7
- Paying Son 358 14
- Which time limits apply? 369 4
- HMRC Discovery powers 173 2
- Client Paperwork Retention? 349 10
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 135 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 278 3
- Just checking re PSA 239 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 322 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,477 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,517 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 332 2
- Friday Question 578 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 431 8
- Independent Examination work programme 157 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 549 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 309 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 225 7
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 492
- DTA tie-breaker issue 293
- CGT for NOn UK residents 263
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 254
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 246
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 231
- Apprenticeship Levy 228
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 220
- Capital Gains personal representatives 207
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 191