Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,078 28
- SA Agent's Priority Line 29 2
- Company Director In Prison 240 6
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 747 23
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 630 13
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 137 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 129 7
- Managing Employee Expenses 132 5
- Charity work 128 6
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 273 3
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 655 21
- MAAT vs ACCA 354 6
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,538 70
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,538 55
- VAT registration? 141 1
- ec sales lists 153 1
- VAT registration to supply services in EU 136 1
- Vat Retrospective Reclaim 148 1
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 112 4
- Small company audit 755 12
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 662
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 476
- Cancelled 418
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 358
- Cancelled 358
- Probiz 328
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 312
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 240
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 212
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 183