Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Which software for practice books? 385 17
- VAT on nightclub vouchers 42 2
- Seed EIS company 64 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,725 35
- Flat rate vat error 82 2
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 254 6
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 136 7
- EC TAX 38 1
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 176 4
- Pension contributions limits 198 9
- Write off of former director's loan 302 7
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 81 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 93 1
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 526 10
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 245 6
- Pension contributions > £50k BRB effect 88 2
- VAT enquiry 160 2
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 496 15
- Inheritance tax 272 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 84 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 660
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 488
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 452
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 279
- How to format a stock book 239
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 198
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 192
- Tax efficient holding company structure 182
- Investment property company accounts template 169
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 165