Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,301 347
- corp tax software 44 2
- Were you asked to pay to sign off your ACCA PCTR by your Principle? 185 3
- Profitable company wanting to buy an office 221 5
- Umbrella Company 189 4
- 100% Xero practice 2,177 39
- Mortgage deposit Gift 489 23
- Company Accounts 243 5
- Shadow director or alternative? 491 5
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 183 1
- Vat treatment of charity business income 144 6
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 942 18
- Getting VAT right for a sole trader pilot 206 6
- Donations (to a school!) 461 11
- Vat on Royalites 99 1
- Outsourcing iXBRL Tagging 464 24
- Payroll YTD info on Operaii 92 1
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 185 5
- property rental income split 270 3
- Does my client qualify for CGT Loss? 182 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,191
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 411
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 316
- National Insurance 312
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 261
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 239
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 227
- Franchise income and costs 206
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 182