Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 1,056 8
- Virtually Impossible 129 2
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 246 4
- Newly Started Practice 524 12
- SSP days and Holidays 104 2
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 474 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 318 7
- error on companies house accounts 491 14
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,499 113
- Is there a reporting requirement? 124 1
- Clients 368 6
- Home to Office 238 5
- Investment property? 169 3
- Property income 143 2
- VAT rules on Compensation invoice to EU company 97 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 230 5
- Commission on holiday accrual 164 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 209 4
- VAT reclaim on costs incurred for VAT exempt services 125 1
- IR35 calc - which months' E'ees NICs and PAYE to include? 150 3
- QROP pension input amounts 485
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 457
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 427
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 274
- EPS and CIS deductions 273
- Construction CIS LLP Company 256
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 222
- SAGE winforecast 188
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 182
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174