Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,062 36
- Question re Career choice... 1,617 10
- Which address 1,045 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 574 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 81 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,474 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,206 44
- R&D tax claim 249 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 530 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 184 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 133 2
- Gift to employee 377 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 173 1
- Transfer of a business 127 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,142 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 416 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 122 2
- Sage Import Data 315 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 246 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 141 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 483
- CTA study material 458
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 336
- Pre incorp expenses 316
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 258
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 210
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 163
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 144
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 135