Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 726 5
- See you all on the other side 742 6
- 12Pay 511 2
- dividends 714 2
- R&D 357 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,222 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 474 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 467 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 417 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 574 5
- Seeking a tax case 679 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 542 4
- Companies house strike off 638 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 476 2
- Moving to the cloud 780 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 225 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 941 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 232 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,113 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 531 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 574
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 428
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 378
- IRIS and FRS 102 362
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 344
- Capitalising Finance Lease 342
- Marginal rates of tax 333
- USA help 327
- Class 2 NI 321
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 307