Tax Period for an LLP
I have a new client which is an LLP, and this is the first time I have done one. I hadn't realised how different they were! It doesn't appear to follow the rules of a limited company, nor a partnership - so I've spent ages researching it.
The LLP was incorporated on 15 July 2008 and the year-end is 31 July 2009.
I read the following: "In general, the tax return will include the results for the accounting period ended within the fiscal year. For example, if an LLP has a 30 June year end, the 2009/10 return would include results for the accounting period ended 30 June 2009." It does though state that there are special rules that apply if there is no accounting period ended in the tax year - so this LLP was trading in 2008/9 but didn't have an accounting period end. Or does this not matter if it only started in that year?
Can you please tell me whether the whole period is dealt with under the 2009/10 return, or whether it has to be split between the 2008/9 and 2009/10 year-ends.
The client only approached me 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't registered the LLP with HMRC (a different story altogether), so I want to make sure I'm clear on the tax requirements here.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 364 16
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 34 1
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 175 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 304 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 379 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 96 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 207 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 346 8
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 160 4
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 200 2
- Builder using cash labour 146 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 229 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 454 11
- Was I rude 848 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 222 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 300 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 224 6
- Non-compete agreement 198 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 214 1
- Any views 749 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,488
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 397
- NOVA 301
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 211
- Bonus Bonds 181
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 172