Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- Sage 50 133 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 363 12
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,354 41
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 440 5
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 202 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 194 9
- VAT on motor expenses 911 33
- Introduction of Goodwill 236 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 122 2
- Sage 50 (2010) 130 3
- sole trader - operating under cis 106 2
- What does it mean?? 386 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 292 13
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 95 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,731 22
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 146 3
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 173 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 766 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 402 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 226 9
- Skandia using wrong address 1,551
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 238
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 229
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 214
- Management expenses for investment company 212
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196