Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 193 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 728 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 807 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 473 10
- Real time 196 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 413 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 258 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 242 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 229 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 606 15
- When to top-up pensions? 194 2
- Support / ticketing software 335 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 333 3
- Imported goods and VAT 154 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 443 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 596 11
- Stamp Duty 194 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,868 22
- Company Number 10000000 1,002 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 373 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 473
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 290
- DTA tie-breaker issue 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 245
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 218
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 213
- Just checking re PSA 197
- Capital Gains personal representatives 194
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 178