Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 190 3
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 134 1
- Mortgage Repayment Sale of Property 207 5
- Backdate C79? 237 5
- Losses B/F and Class 4 NIC 218 3
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 893 33
- White van man 623 21
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,473 82
- Software 375 9
- Company dividends 438 13
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 441 7
- Tax Relief on Bridging Loan 121 2
- Use of home deduction 545 15
- Copy Wanted 695 3
- Non resident income. 253 12
- Self Assessment University Superannuation Scheme 104 1
- 11pm and having a blonde moment 221 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 566 21
- SA late payment penalty 204 3
- Death of taxpayer - personal allowance 311 8
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 860
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 552
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 516
- Latest phishing scam 409
- Entrepreneurs' relief 378
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 340
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 322
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 304
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 216
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 194