Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- Wrong career 445 18
- Would this save hours of your time? 400 10
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 182 4
- Value pricing 653 21
- Director's tax return 215 4
- Payroo Employer allowance query 126 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 253 7
- Laptop purchase 1,370 20
- PTP software disaster 244 2
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 168 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 215 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 94 2
- Tricky VAT question 165 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 107 2
- VT accounts licence key 252 5
- Weely paid employees 217 2
- Splitting the tax year 94 1
- FPS Submission 147 2
- non resident receiving UK dividends 210 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 141 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 792
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 546
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 412
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 259
- Director Loan account operation 239
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159