Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- IHT Query 432 10
- Audit and paypal balances 170 7
- Missing C79 150 5
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 483 16
- VAT margin scheme 263 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 297 8
- How to walk away without questions 2,727 17
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 95 1
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 123 2
- Get it off your chest 246 4
- Directors bonus 151 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 103 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 281 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 254 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 171 3
- break even point 1,120 33
- The return 794 27
- Sell business after leaving country 333 6
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 94 2
- Charity accounting 89 2
- Possible Partnership? 556
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 553
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 481
- New Fangled Penalties 354
- Clubs and Taxable Income 292
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 273
- Loans to other companies 219
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 212
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 178
- Outsource Data Entry 176