Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 343 10
- Anyone else still working this week? 261 7
- How much does the company pay 399 12
- VAT on Business Premises 19 1
- HMRC property income enquiry 231 6
- I have done a terrible thing 509 13
- LLp Profits 124 5
- Consolidation Software 103 1
- two business from one premises 114 2
- AIA 233 16
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 325 20
- partnership tax return 142 5
- Client has already received 13/14 tax refund 163 2
- How to deal with CGT relief on Directors Loan following company sale 90 2
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 297 6
- Gov.UK - can we have HMRC.gov.uk back? 1,163 27
- s455 tax 135 3
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 101 1
- Am I getting Soft?? 592 12
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 211 3
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 499
- corporate hierarchy 464
- Advice - 316
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 265
- WWOOFers 254
- The booking.com con 232
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 232
- Cocaine anyone? 214
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 213
- UK State pension paid in NZ 173