Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 1,067 13
- Profit split /Rent 110 3
- Is it possible and what should be done? 212 3
- Unhappy client over fees 1,481 35
- Capital Gains Tax and Enhancement 87 2
- Do HMRC impose harsher penalties on unrepresented taxpayers? 228 3
- Accounting software for investment holding company 198 2
- Disposal of freehold from Ltd Co to another Ltd in a newly formed group 99 1
- Is a Business Bank Account compulsory for a sole trader? 254 5
- Multi user accounting software 150 2
- S455 tax on existing loans on becoming a participator 124 1
- Does QuickBooks Online have aged debtors and creditors reports? 232 2
- Remortgage costs on redidential lettings 209 2
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 420 11
- do i need an online accounting software 564 7
- VAT DIY self build shceme 126 1
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 699 17
- Employee expenses & benefits - bringing myself up to date 261 1
- Backdating Partnership registration to 14/15 1,041 16
- Can you claim part of the AIA and WDAs on the remainder 213 2
- NHS finance professionals 794
- Foreign Pension Contribution 479
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 474
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 408
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 376
- IFA income recognition & reporting 282
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 266
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 257
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 214
- FRM claim for travel to training course 214