Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- PAYE versus Dividends 154 3
- Employee or partner 20 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 185 5
- The Cotter Case 183 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 120 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 143 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 64 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 939 16
- Sole Trader business 153 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 152 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 146 1
- Giving a seminar 685 36
- Tax position on lease extension 176 1
- Boffin of the Year 304 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 223 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 82 1
- Non sequitur 253 2
- Am i Liable? 883 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 172 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,305
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 642
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 426
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 334
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 221
- Agent fees to sell business 215
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 208
- Office recharges 170
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 154