Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,148 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 700 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 67 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 254 8
- recompense capital input 193 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 105 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 229 2
- CT losses carry back 99 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 164 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 768 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 419 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,277 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 148 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 230 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 215 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 259 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 564
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185