Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,324 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 270 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 854 18
- NALS Accountants Report 102 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,469 35
- Legal title not in the company name 273 10
- Dividend dates 563 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 129 3
- Sole properietor 172 4
- transitioning payroll 239 8
- dividend proposals 107 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 234 2
- Deduction from Salary 299 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 195 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,726 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 92 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 437 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 158 2
- 12 Pay Problems 255 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 89 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 311
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 271
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 231
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 230
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176