Tax treatment of converting director's garage to an office
Suppose ABC Ltd (not the real name) pays to have a garage at a domestic property (which is jointly owned by Mr and Mrs Smith) converted to habitable space which will then be used exclusively by the company for business purposes as a home office. Mr Smith is the sole shareholder and director of the company.
The company will not pay rent to Mr and Mrs Smith and will not claim any of the household expenses against its profits.
How does the payment for the conversion by the company affect the subsequent CGT due on the sale of the house and is there a charge to income tax on the cost of the conversion on Mr and Mrs Smith? Might there be a benefit-in-kind charge?
How is the payment treated in the accounts of ABC Ltd? Could it qualify for relief under the annual investment allowance?
Or is it all too complicated and should Mr Smith just pay for the conversion out of his dividend income from ABC Ltd.
- Received a CIS invoice 260 9
- DLA interest query. 2,923 66
- VAT invoice 205 9
- claim fees with out without VAT? 144 3
- Drector renting room to company 187 2
- How to print invoice payment history Sage 50 Pro 40 2
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 335 6
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 203 10
- Fee protection 1,076 24
- Accounting for software development costs 236 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 234 7
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 409 5
- Anyone done ATT? 230 5
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 76 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,640 54
- Bereavment payment 341 4
- indexation factors 76 2
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,662 13
- LLP Salaried Partners 143 1
- Vat on motor repairs 145 3
- Xtuple 575
- Qtac payroll for bureau 403
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 350
- Domain name sale and limited company 249
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 238
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 223
- Tax on damages received 202
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 196
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 162
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 160