Tax treatment of lump sum in return for income stream? Tax treatment of income stream?
I have a UK client company which is to be paid £4300 a month for 97 months. The client wants to sell this income stream for an up front lump sum payment. This will be approximately £325,000, giving the person paying the lump sum a return of approximately 6% per annum gross.
Any ideas regarding the correct tax treatment? Does my client treat the lump sum as a trading receipt in year one (the monthly payments are being received under a contract for partnering support, which is part of the company's trade).
And what about the tax treatment for the individual receiving the income stream? The receipts of £4,300 will be part capital and part income - is there an HMRC formula to calculate the income element? Does tax have to be deducted at source on any element?
Thanks for any advice.
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 203 5
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 646 14
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 305 4
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 222 6
- The importance of Grammar 1,930 56
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 537 11
- 2 companies, one payroll 250 8
- Freelance/Employee 429 10
- Freehold management company 161 3
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 228 6
- System selection 246 3
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 157 1
- Director Liability 158 2
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 396 4
- exemptions from CIS 274 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 591 10
- Xero Pain Points 665 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 297 13
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 277 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,743 56
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 395
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 359
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 341
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 320
- Electric Car 269
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 232
- S222 Charge 232
- Company Structure 210
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 177
- IP trans to holding company 171