Tax treatment of lump sum in return for income stream? Tax treatment of income stream?
I have a UK client company which is to be paid £4300 a month for 97 months. The client wants to sell this income stream for an up front lump sum payment. This will be approximately £325,000, giving the person paying the lump sum a return of approximately 6% per annum gross.
Any ideas regarding the correct tax treatment? Does my client treat the lump sum as a trading receipt in year one (the monthly payments are being received under a contract for partnering support, which is part of the company's trade).
And what about the tax treatment for the individual receiving the income stream? The receipts of £4,300 will be part capital and part income - is there an HMRC formula to calculate the income element? Does tax have to be deducted at source on any element?
Thanks for any advice.
- Business Set up cost 86 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 625 12
- Aged Debtor 45 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 942 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 64 3
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 754 28
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 131 2
- Identity check problem 1,216 12
- blank - ignore 485 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 80 2
- calculate mortgage interest 345 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 437 9
- Capital Gains Relief 88 3
- Companies House praise 219 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,052 14
- client can't/won't pay 1,550 27
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 150 1
- Directors NIC's 175 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 72 1
- Entrepreneurs relief 156 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 571
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 534
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 338
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 239
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 227
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163