Tax treatment of lump sum in return for income stream? Tax treatment of income stream?
I have a UK client company which is to be paid £4300 a month for 97 months. The client wants to sell this income stream for an up front lump sum payment. This will be approximately £325,000, giving the person paying the lump sum a return of approximately 6% per annum gross.
Any ideas regarding the correct tax treatment? Does my client treat the lump sum as a trading receipt in year one (the monthly payments are being received under a contract for partnering support, which is part of the company's trade).
And what about the tax treatment for the individual receiving the income stream? The receipts of £4,300 will be part capital and part income - is there an HMRC formula to calculate the income element? Does tax have to be deducted at source on any element?
Thanks for any advice.
- Share transfer question 259 10
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 396 7
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 187 5
- New Employers Helpline 119 2
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 212 5
- Overlap relief 715 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,274 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 177 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 180 4
- VAT Query 170 2
- Sacked my first client 639 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 408 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 216 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,262 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 618 11
- Trades and deadlines 138 3
- How to pay national insurance 647 18
- New Website Look 1,074 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 266 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 228 5
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 426
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 419
- WIP Software 286
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- No payroll scheme in place 219
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 218
- Software recommendations 199
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 197
- Is there anything wrong with this? 189
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 186