Tax treatment of lump sum in return for income stream? Tax treatment of income stream?
I have a UK client company which is to be paid £4300 a month for 97 months. The client wants to sell this income stream for an up front lump sum payment. This will be approximately £325,000, giving the person paying the lump sum a return of approximately 6% per annum gross.
Any ideas regarding the correct tax treatment? Does my client treat the lump sum as a trading receipt in year one (the monthly payments are being received under a contract for partnering support, which is part of the company's trade).
And what about the tax treatment for the individual receiving the income stream? The receipts of £4,300 will be part capital and part income - is there an HMRC formula to calculate the income element? Does tax have to be deducted at source on any element?
Thanks for any advice.
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 130 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,040 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 368 4
- Setting up a practice 375 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 491 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 451 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 264 1
- Love is in the air 535 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 653 17
- Stamp Duty 294 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,805 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 586 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 264 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 262 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 573 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 582 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 386 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 395 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 455 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 301
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 291
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 276
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 254
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 240
- Apprenticeship Levy 238
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 212