Tax treatment of lump sum in return for income stream? Tax treatment of income stream?
I have a UK client company which is to be paid £4300 a month for 97 months. The client wants to sell this income stream for an up front lump sum payment. This will be approximately £325,000, giving the person paying the lump sum a return of approximately 6% per annum gross.
Any ideas regarding the correct tax treatment? Does my client treat the lump sum as a trading receipt in year one (the monthly payments are being received under a contract for partnering support, which is part of the company's trade).
And what about the tax treatment for the individual receiving the income stream? The receipts of £4,300 will be part capital and part income - is there an HMRC formula to calculate the income element? Does tax have to be deducted at source on any element?
Thanks for any advice.
- Do I need a smartphone? 992 28
- Yorkshire Day 231 13
- Flat rate VAT 224 4
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 28 1
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 878 17
- Best apps for clients 935 7
- Directors pay adjustment from 1k to the magic 833.33 243 5
- Deduction from Salary 964 28
- Accounts Software 322 11
- Group Audit Thresholds 384 11
- Collection or business assets 170 4
- Incorporated when they should not have 438 13
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,812 42
- VAT for client based in Thailand 75 1
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 858 22
- Doctor and Locum Work 347 5
- Deleted question? 158 1
- Accountancy Career 453 8
- Flat rate allowed but not used. 103 1
- Employee and subcontractor 214 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 694
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 548
- Cancelled 435
- Cancelled 368
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 364
- Probiz 342
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 341
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 211