Tax treatment of lump sum in return for income stream? Tax treatment of income stream?
I have a UK client company which is to be paid £4300 a month for 97 months. The client wants to sell this income stream for an up front lump sum payment. This will be approximately £325,000, giving the person paying the lump sum a return of approximately 6% per annum gross.
Any ideas regarding the correct tax treatment? Does my client treat the lump sum as a trading receipt in year one (the monthly payments are being received under a contract for partnering support, which is part of the company's trade).
And what about the tax treatment for the individual receiving the income stream? The receipts of £4,300 will be part capital and part income - is there an HMRC formula to calculate the income element? Does tax have to be deducted at source on any element?
Thanks for any advice.
- any implications of this type of transaction 38 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,678 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 93 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 274 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,026 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 261 7
- Sage data 100 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 420 9
- Limited company buying a car 359 6
- Funding Circle experience 149 3
- Excel query 114 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,289 13
- Payment on account penalties 124 3
- Tax on free shares 140 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 206 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 124 1
- Audit 488 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 125 3
- Buying a horse?? 428 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 195 2
- CTA study material 804
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 495
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 460
- Employment related securities question 321
- AIM Stocks and IHT 309
- Expat pension contributions? 281
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 280
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 231
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 160