Tax on Unearned Income
I was talking to a bloke in the pub who said that all rental income is taxed at 40% because it is "unearned income".
I said rental income is treated as any other income from self employment and would only be taxed at 40% if the taxpayer is a higher rate taxpayer.
I’m pretty sure I’m right; but as Tax is not my particular area of expertise and the chap I was talking to is adamant about this could someone advise please?
Also what, if any, is the difference for tax purposes between rentals and lettings?
- Where can I get the information for this 361 7
- BrightPay 360 9
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 196 3
- CGT &LLP 69 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 538 4
- Setting up an offshore company 90 1
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 183 16
- Secure document exchange 117 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 158 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 392 7
- break even point 162 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 114 3
- Fax to email providers 326 11
- Payroll software 238 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 131 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 141 4
- How to issue shares to investors 86 1
- Expense management software 629 12
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,106 84
- Tax code 147 1