Tax on Unearned Income
I was talking to a bloke in the pub who said that all rental income is taxed at 40% because it is "unearned income".
I said rental income is treated as any other income from self employment and would only be taxed at 40% if the taxpayer is a higher rate taxpayer.
I’m pretty sure I’m right; but as Tax is not my particular area of expertise and the chap I was talking to is adamant about this could someone advise please?
Also what, if any, is the difference for tax purposes between rentals and lettings?
- Xerocon 2016 1,036 25
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,196 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 259 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 282 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 613 12
- Personal Tax 518 11
- USA Tax Query 189 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,666 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 948 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 314 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 605 18
- Corrupt Excel File 675 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 356 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,987 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 422 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 189 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 367 4
- last minute request 533 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,259 46