Tell Bill Gates to fix Excel bug, urges 'Pivot King'
AccountingWEB's Excel Topic Expert David Carter has warned of a potentially lethal bug in Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet program and urged community members to tell Bill Gates to fix it.
"Now that the danger of the Y2K bug has passed, it's time to tackle the AZ bug," said Carter, the self-styled "Pivot King".
The problem occurs when users use Excel's AZ icon with a single column highlighted. Although data in that column will be sorted into alphabetical order, the other columns remain as they were - potentially corrupting the user's database.
"This is a Grade-A fault and quite lethal," said Carter. "One day you will need to do an AZ Sort and will click on the column heading without thinking. You won't realise what has happened until later, and if in the intervening time you have saved the workbook, your database is corrupted beyond repair.
"The long-standing flaw is highlighted in David Carter's latest AccountingWEB tutorial on auditing and financial reporting with pivot tables.
"If there was just one tutorial I would like an accountant to see in order to understand the sheer power of Excel and pivot tables, this would be it," he added.
The follow-up to last month's Sage Line 50 tutorial provides pivot-table ready accounting records (trial balance, debtors control summary, bank reconciliation, daybook analysis) and generates financial reports from them.
The AZ bug adds a bit of danger to the exercise. Carter advises users they can either train their subconscious minds always to click on a particular row, say Row 10, before clicking the AZ icon. Or they can send an email to Microsoft's chief software architect Bill Gates urging him to fix the glitch.
"If a thousand British accountants all complain politely about it to Mr Gates at the same time, maybe we'll get some action," said Carter.
Bill Gates can be reached at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
David Carter's pivot table tutorials are among the most popular items on AccountingWEB. They include demonstrations on how pivot tables can be used for budgeting, and sales analysis. Sage users can also download and try Carter's SagePivot data extraction program.
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 22 3
- Matching of tax return to P60 37 1
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,012 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,193 53
- Related Parties Note 112 3
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 765 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 192 7
- what time is it ? 309 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 89 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 433 24
- VAT on disbursement 168 2
- tax credits 209 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,045 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 87 1
- LLP - Member leaving 196 6
- Year end 263 3
- Foreign income for self employed 173 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 311 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 329 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,151 14
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 911
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 528
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 336
- How to format a stock book 322
- Tax efficient holding company structure 258
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 248
- Investment property company accounts template 234
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 197
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 184
- Charge out rates in London? 158