Tell Bill Gates to fix Excel bug, urges 'Pivot King'
AccountingWEB's Excel Topic Expert David Carter has warned of a potentially lethal bug in Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet program and urged community members to tell Bill Gates to fix it.
"Now that the danger of the Y2K bug has passed, it's time to tackle the AZ bug," said Carter, the self-styled "Pivot King".
The problem occurs when users use Excel's AZ icon with a single column highlighted. Although data in that column will be sorted into alphabetical order, the other columns remain as they were - potentially corrupting the user's database.
"This is a Grade-A fault and quite lethal," said Carter. "One day you will need to do an AZ Sort and will click on the column heading without thinking. You won't realise what has happened until later, and if in the intervening time you have saved the workbook, your database is corrupted beyond repair.
"The long-standing flaw is highlighted in David Carter's latest AccountingWEB tutorial on auditing and financial reporting with pivot tables.
"If there was just one tutorial I would like an accountant to see in order to understand the sheer power of Excel and pivot tables, this would be it," he added.
The follow-up to last month's Sage Line 50 tutorial provides pivot-table ready accounting records (trial balance, debtors control summary, bank reconciliation, daybook analysis) and generates financial reports from them.
The AZ bug adds a bit of danger to the exercise. Carter advises users they can either train their subconscious minds always to click on a particular row, say Row 10, before clicking the AZ icon. Or they can send an email to Microsoft's chief software architect Bill Gates urging him to fix the glitch.
"If a thousand British accountants all complain politely about it to Mr Gates at the same time, maybe we'll get some action," said Carter.
Bill Gates can be reached at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
David Carter's pivot table tutorials are among the most popular items on AccountingWEB. They include demonstrations on how pivot tables can be used for budgeting, and sales analysis. Sage users can also download and try Carter's SagePivot data extraction program.
- VAT refund 355 4
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 218 3
- UK tax exposure 153 2
- flat rate scheme 281 7
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 206 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 513 6
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 92 3
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 256 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,020 9
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 165 3
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 184 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 125 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,294 37
- Turnover on a tax return 588 12
- incorrect old p60 583 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 168 4
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 171 1
- Special dividends & CGT 219 1
- Networking 392 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 303 2