I have a client (UK national & UK domiciled) who left the UK in 2008 for a full-time work contract in the US.
This contract has now ended and I have been looking at how he will be treated on his return within 3 years of departure. Looking at HMRC6 I have just discovered (in para 5.11) the concept of "temporary non-residence" and the apparent possibility of his being taxed on foreign income such as bank interest which arose while he was non-resident and thus non-taxable in the UK on this.
Does this really mean that, although he will have been treated as NR and NOR throughout the period of his absence (and his UK days have been very few during the period), he could still be taxed on his return to the UK on foreign investment income that arose whilst he was away on some kind of deemed remittance basis?
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 252 16
- Limited company purchase of property 481 2
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 246 6
- Goodwill complications 279 6
- Tax relief for VAT assessment 28 1
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 143 1
- How much of your work is admin? 703 9
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 220 4
- Will I need to resign? 440 7
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 113 1
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 321 5
- Trade creditor journal 118 2
- Nominal Ledger 489 12
- The declaration on the VAT return is wrong ??? 188 1
- Old CGT loss 242 4
- Bulk submissions to Companies House 485 2
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 995 14
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 411 9
- HMRC Distraint 159 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 173 2