Terms and conditions
A recent incident has made me re-examine my terms & conditions, and my quotes.
Currently, our quotes specify that free support is limited to simple telephone and email queries. Other enquiries, or advice, is quoted for, and agreed, before commencement. This text isn't in 'small' print, and the quotes are signed by our clients.
We currently have the situation where a client asked a question 'in passing'. There was no formal request for advice, no meeting, and no payment. With anything such as this, we prefer to give written advice, so we can specify the information given to us, as well as the advice provided by us.
Unfortunately, the client has acted without seeking proper advice and is now in a very diffcult situation. Even more worrying, client has written to an HMRC dept about a problem they raised, saying he was just 'following advice'.
OK - I've learned (too late) that this client doesn't care too much for doing things properly, but I'm looking to the future now to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I am considering adding the following to our quotes:
"You should obtain written advice on anything complex, eg. VAT issues, sale of business, Ltd Company restructuring, etc."
I prefer the guidance to be on our quotation, as these are more likely to be read by the client than our T&C.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
- Missed Student Loan Contributions 192 6
- RTI 299 10
- What is wrong with HMRC? 163 2
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 369 7
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 494 8
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,107 61
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 66 3
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,468 33
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 213 8
- Am i Liable? 659 17
- Write off of former director's loan 744 11
- Employer pension contribution as part of redundancy package 64 2
- Compensation payment and child benefit 77 2
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 234 2
- Accommodation allowance - emergency workers 87 1
- HMRC - Generic Notification Notice 91 1
- RTI Easement Until 2016 130 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 394 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 383 9
- Added years superannuation 108 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,265
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 623
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 414
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 323
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 236
- Alphabet shares 207
- Agent fees to sell business 200
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 198
- Office recharges 159
- Tax position on lease extension 151