Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 187 8
- BTC Software 218 9
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 155 7
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 68 5
- Taxfiler V's BTC 733 29
- FRS 102 Fair Value v open market value 72 1
- Goods Purchased for Rental 562 30
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,674 25
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 296 7
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 69 1
- Sage reporting 75 3
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 221 7
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 49 1
- Completing RP1 form in re Redundancy /Insolvency 210 7
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 193 8
- Directors loan accounts 200 5
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 199 4
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,182 18
- New Practice 362 18
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 100 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,011
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 519
- NOVA 474
- Bonus Bonds 359
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 339
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 258
- Payment for Promotional Samples 232
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 225
- Quickbooks 2015 155
- Friendly Pensions 152