Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 482 18
- Business only use of company car 283 11
- Web site and client access area advice 196 1
- Car or Van 366 9
- AIA for private hire cars, self-employed licensed private hire vehicle / driver 85 4
- Dividend Tax Petition 350 5
- Buying a business premises in a pension 213 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 184 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 485 9
- Going through security 282 5
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 234 1
- Bank reconciliation 280 8
- Practice software 676 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 344 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 300 5
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 194 2
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 270 7
- Goodwill on incorporation 508 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 362 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 242 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 246
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 212
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 200
- Expenses Software 180
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 170
- Any thoughts on Capium? 169
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 164
- CTA Material 164
- Car Capital Contribution 146