Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- Can't read my handwriting 586 14
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,842 487
- Employing a carer 99 1
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 163 11
- Fees for Property Tax Return 508 16
- PRR 437 14
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 189 13
- Corp Tax Refund 150 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 352 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 269 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 65 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 204 1
- Audit partner? 251 6
- Losses on FHL Property 107 1
- SA302 for mortgage advisors 267 5
- Has anyone encountered this scenario 168 1
- corp tax software 987 13
- Does anyone use quotation software? 315 6
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,617 72
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 717 15
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,371
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 516
- National Insurance 406
- Non Resident 315
- Hands on experience of Digita 239
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 219
- Employer's Helpline 186
- CIS paid under reg 9 180
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 147
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 142