Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- Cloud accounting package 105 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 984 39
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 773 14
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 477 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 238 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 141 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 222 6
- Next Move 313 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 391 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 170 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 218 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 333 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 698 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 264 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 153 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,224 34
- Casual Driver 240 4
- Self Assessment Software 631 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 342 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,257 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 393
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 371
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 369
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 230
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 217