Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- flat rate scheme 163 4
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 210 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 1,963 9
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 125 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 472 5
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 162 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 92 1
- VAT refund 320 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,284 37
- Turnover on a tax return 549 12
- incorrect old p60 563 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 134 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 183 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 160 1
- Special dividends & CGT 205 1
- Networking 370 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 281 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 306 4
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 340 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 298 2