Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- How a company director can keep paying £833 155 5
- Settlement discount 285 7
- Thin Client recomendation 262 4
- Recharge for private use of a company car 620 18
- Community awards 2014 - first category 237 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 354 18
- Payment plans for clients 303 4
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 494 14
- Employee steeling client data 170 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,391 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 199 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 140 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 96 1
- CT600 290 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 241 4
- signature required 927 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 231 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 357 4
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 199 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 98 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,314
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 862
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 563
- Credit where credit's due....... 344
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 264
- TheTax Donut 240
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 197
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 190
- Director's business mileage 160
- Sole trader CPD 150