Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 57 1
- Have i messed up? 546 9
- loss on carbon credits 76 2
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 141 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 520 9
- SAGE con 156 3
- Dazed & confused 109 2
- Related Parties Note 378 8
- Goodwill ammortisation 223 2
- Overpayment relief claim 108 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 216 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,523 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 505 28
- Charity reserves 109 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,487 16
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,248 19
- do I have to pay NI? 268 4
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 97 3
- rates of pay query 152 1
- Flat rate vat error 422 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,000
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 541
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 203
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 177
- Interest on Loan to a Company 170