Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- Companies House late filing penalties 3,013 100
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 53 4
- What sectors to target? 307 12
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 760 33
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 219 6
- Self assesment online 335 6
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,007 32
- Refusing to complete a tax return 384 10
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 413 15
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 112 7
- Practice management 228 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 445 6
- More NI or same 138 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 247 4
- Repayment of maternity pay 69 1
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 161 1
- Year end 107 1
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 156 2
- IHT and cash gifts 182 4
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 370 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 624
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 587
- Latest phishing scam 553
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 287
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 208
- Capital allowances in first basis period 197
- Sabbatical payments 182
- Scratch Head 179