Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 60 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 59 1
- 27,000 Really? 1,026 30
- This is getting boring 577 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 228 7
- pension paid by company? 81 3
- inheritance tax 397 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 315 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 213 4
- State pension 285 3
- Accountancy Career 103 1
- CIC Company 652 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,811 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,271 66
- Deduction from Salary 638 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 428 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,685 16
- Legal title not in the company name 757 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 300 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 246
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221