Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 27 2
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 190 6
- Question re Career choice... 1,238 7
- Your fondest calculator memories 886 33
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 765 16
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 188 8
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 249 6
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,886 26
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 274 8
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 466 13
- Capital or revenue expense? 180 2
- Residents Association Corp Tax 260 11
- Vat threshold issues 365 9
- Do I charge VAT for event I held in Paris 177 4
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 335 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 834 12
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 733 15
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 871 18
- Who can I refer leads to? 510 11
- Quickbooks Online stock 49 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 460
- CTA study material 436
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 308
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 293
- Pre incorp expenses 288
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 250
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 239
- Slight twist on employment related securities 216
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 201
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 188