Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 99 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 263 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 151 1
- Top slicing relief question 211 2
- Valuation of PET on death 74 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 212 6
- Share swap 275 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 65 1
- Online filing 124 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 314 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 125 4
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,655 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 89 2
- Converting a barn for business use 76 1
- Was I rude 678 17
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 213 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 100 2
- Joint rental income 107 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 320 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 133 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 802
- Any views 723
- International interest certificate 442
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 412
- Sale of business 382
- NOVA 278
- IRIS Open Books problem 277
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 193
- Expenses claim for non employee 181