Transferring interest in property to spouse and rental income via Form 17 and Declaration of Trust
I have a client who owned his own house via a mortgage before his then partner moved in with him. They married, still live there and are thinking of moving house and renting the old one out.
From what I understand, the hubby could complete a declaration of trust now to give his new wife benefical ownership of a ratio of say 70:30. By doing this, and then submitting Form 17, the rental income would be treated as being split in that ratio and the couple benefit from two sets of letting relief, PPR exemption and CGT personal allowance when the property is sold.
I have read somewhere however that the couple have to be tenants in common (joint legal title no?) before altering ownership by a declaration of trust, for the Form 17 election to be effective under I think S282B ICTA 1988. Is this correct, or will the declaration of trust do the job without bothering the mortgage company?
Or is there another way of the client achieving two sets of CGT exemptions and splitting rental income without the legal shenanigans that gainfully employ solicitors that I am forgetting?
I've been going round in circles with this one. Sorry, and thanks for any help!
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 139 3
- Hmrc software 192 3
- Mehjoo 255 1
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 191 2
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 96 1
- SA302 255 4
- Hosted email exchange 168 5
- South African Government Pension 177 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 155 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 264 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 297 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 237 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 145 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 272 7
- New Email Extensions 186 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 306 2
- Dental practice incorpration 149 1
- Audit rules 174 4
- Go Cardless 307 8
- business entertaining deductibility 176 1
- Xtuple 505
- Qtac payroll for bureau 342
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 289
- Industrial & Provident Societies 281
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 165
- Domain name sale and limited company 165
- CIS schemes 159
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 152
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 137