Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- A trust shall not want for a trustee 116 4
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 47 1
- Client handover issues with Brooksons 30 1
- format cell to exclude decimals 120 10
- Use of home query 231 3
- Settlement discount 220 6
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 178 3
- Entrepreeur's relief 58 1
- IT advisory questions? 317 8
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,594 21
- experian and credit agencies 82 1
- Homing sandwiches 585 13
- Limited company to community interest company 75 1
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 515 10
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 217 5
- Error in audited accounts 269 3
- CIS software 143 3
- Pratice Management Software 227 3
- signature required 612 22
- Vat registration exception 217 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,268
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 839
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 531
- Digita Hosted Software 347
- Credit where credit's due....... 324
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 249
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 206
- TheTax Donut 193
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 172
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 167