Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 967 47
- New starter error how to correct 98 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 241 4
- Summer house for business only 222 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 192 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 146 4
- SA316s 250 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 107 2
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 121 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 130 2
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 597 13
- Filing amended tax return 135 1
- Tier One Tribunal 228 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 841 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 123 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 141 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 263 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 170 2
- Another transfer of property 163 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 231 7
- Construction CIS LLP Company 614
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 600
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 297
- Using the correct forms 272
- RTI - duplicate employee record 268
- SA penalty proposals 260
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 238