Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 117 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 439 9
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 427 10
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 236 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 237 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 190 1
- Share transfer question 311 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 541 10
- The stupidity continues 118 2
- New Employers Helpline 141 3
- Overlap relief 729 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,314 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 200 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 194 4
- VAT Query 198 2
- Sacked my first client 676 14
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 261 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,275 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 625 11
- Trades and deadlines 165 3
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 427
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 422
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 190
- Small Part Disposal of Property 172