Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 19 1
- Registering a company late 300 11
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,052 27
- Director taking salary, dividends and consultancy fees? 175 1
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 109 6
- Deferred Tax 246 5
- Late Registration for VAT 204 6
- Personal pension 247 4
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,268 17
- How much of your work is admin? 368 2
- Legal fees selling rental property 193 3
- physiotherapy clinic 599 4
- Running two businesses from the same premises 204 2
- Directors taking money out of business, how to record in sage instant accounts. 93 1
- VAT Registration for locum Doctors 325 8
- hMRand Customs Powers of Arrest 2,824 23
- Can someone help me please I don't know how to correct an error regarding an intercompany bank transfer on sage 294 4
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 1,984 18
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 122 2
- Preference shares treated as liabilities 124 1
- TheTax Donut 1,015
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 680
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 624
- Follower cases 489
- Hive up 417
- Limited company purchase of property 417
- corporate hierarchy 383
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 380
- LIVE chat, starting now 331
- AIA or IFA 216