Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Bonus/Shares 10 1
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 310 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,120 305
- Mortgage deposit Gift 107 3
- Expenses of overseas employment 163 3
- Paying tax in Angola and uk? 115 2
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 610 12
- Statutory Residence Test - Travelling 136 1
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,107 15
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 355 3
- EC sales list 66 1
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 350 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 393 11
- ICPA-Scotland 181 2
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 231 1
- Declined for business bank account 389 6
- Help with Mortgage Application? 543 7
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 226 10
- Standard 'email' template system 926 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 241 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,127
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 369
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 301
- National Insurance 275
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 241
- Payments on account coded out?? 236
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 226
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 197
- Non Resident 193
- Franchise income and costs 181