Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Lorry Drivers 202 3
- Undeclared rental income 720 10
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 192 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 182 4
- Money laundering POCA 340 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 65 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 114 3
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 352 3
- client threatening legal action 1,962 29
- Incorporation Relief 170 3
- Auto-Enrolment 4,009 187
- Can I claim mileage? 297 6
- limited company for IR35 161 1
- Ir35 test 144 2
- payroll software 264 2
- Mexican student in UK 183 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 233 2
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 97 2
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 183 1
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 901 19
- Skandia using wrong address 510
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 282
- Employee rewards 265
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 238
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 229
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 227
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 128