Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 133 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 180 1
- General tax book with planning 205 4
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 215 3
- are receipts needed? 525 14
- Gift of property & improvements 141 3
- VAT Invoice 197 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 277 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 237 9
- Error in past Corporate tax return 375 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,263 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 309 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 817 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 253 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 171 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 476 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 402 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 266 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 219 6
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 903
- International interest certificate 514
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 304
- Management expenses for investment company 268
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 176
- P11D benefit received by widow 153
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 146