Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 419 22
- Management Buy Out - shares exchanged 306 20
- Is an IPDI passed to wife on death exempt from IHT 87 1
- Excessive Security 751 32
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 463 9
- Does practical cloud s/w for high transaction volumes exist? 502 24
- Reduce Rate VAT as a developer 113 2
- Fee protection 319 10
- Go Cardless 94 3
- EIS deferral relief 35 1
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,265 41
- Bringing money to Uk 93 1
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,045 31
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 197 3
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 84 3
- VAT Inspection 100 2
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 186 1
- LLP classification of division of profit 170 5
- Is it just me 216 6
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 217 12
- Xtuple 485
- Qtac payroll for bureau 325
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 264
- Mehjoo 205
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 205
- New strategic report 161
- Domain name sale and limited company 144
- South African Government Pension 141
- CIS schemes 137