Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 237 7
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 756 17
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,551 42
- CIC Company 384 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,651 57
- Is this a scam? 757 8
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 116 1
- Employment allowance (again) :( 330 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 236 5
- New company - form a group? 157 2
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 175 4
- PITA client 217 3
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 367 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,313 33
- Dividend dates 490 8
- R&D tax credit claim 218 5
- CIS Deductions 272 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 115 1
- is this fraud? 789 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 496 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 598
- Cancelled 347
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 332
- Cancelled 283
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 255
- Probiz 242
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 187
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 177
- Car leasing scheme 176
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 156