Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Tax Fines - HMRC 870 15
- Can an owner hold company money 310 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 303 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 222 6
- Class 2 NIC 270 5
- Probate services 427 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 387 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,708 37
- Vat payable on van 156 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,832 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 242 7
- Community Faux Pas 932 26
- Cash gift from India 143 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,310 40
- Windows10 197 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 626 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 477 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 243 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 393 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 872 5
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 305
- VAT 258
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 219
- Is the APN valid 196