Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 894 26
- BrightPay 634 19
- Gift or Capital Gain? 340 10
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 271 4
- Abolish the penalty regime 90 3
- IHT Query 144 3
- Statutary sick pay 181 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 264 4
- Director Salary 355 2
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 331 6
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 299 7
- Capital Gain? 426 11
- Reversing out RTI 188 5
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 307 9
- Sage instant bank rec - is it possible to clear past transactions and reconcile from a given month? 283 6
- Classic cars investment 250 7
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 335 7
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 381 7
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 284 9
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 294 2
- Possible Partnership? 449
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 420
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 417
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 363
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 218
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 215
- Clubs and Taxable Income 206
- Income tax on foreign dividends 197
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 192
- New Fangled Penalties 165