Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 101 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 157 3
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 180 2
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 156 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 142 4
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 165 6
- IHT - clawback of BPR 28 1
- EIS - connection through employment 82 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 220 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 27 1
- CIS and Close Company 66 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 215 4
- Secondment expenses 145 3
- VAT Option to tax 436 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 106 4
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 98 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 134 3
- VAT Registration 322 5
- should Van be included in plant or motor vehicles? 95 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 261 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 904
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 635
- Free Tax Legislation? 397
- Director Loan account operation 394
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 323
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 316
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 180