Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- VAT: option to tax 86 2
- Vat 32 2
- IHT dilemma 271 11
- Share Valuation 40 2
- Personal Allowance for non residents 340 9
- Dormant company or not? 287 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 82 1
- Best form of debt recovery 148 3
- Backdating VAT claim 24 1
- WIP recognition for builders 366 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 276 15
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,061 9
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 154 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 89 2
- Share Issue 206 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 139 11
- Client avoiding UK Tax. 746 23
- PAYE/NI due date? 143 2
- repairs and/or improvements 109 2
- To Do List 1,525 31
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 654
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 515
- Auto enrolment excuses 471
- Removed post 368
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 344
- Social investment tax relief 159
- Call Centre Data Costs 153
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 152
- Digita Hosted Software 138
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 130