Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 267 10
- Love is in the air 577 7
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 175 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,048 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 372 4
- Setting up a practice 418 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 524 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 486 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 308 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 660 17
- Stamp Duty 298 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 239 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,816 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 618 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 301 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 583 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 589 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 408 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 403 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 462 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 304
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 294
- CGT for NOn UK residents 281
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 278
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 256
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 240
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 222
- Capital Gains personal representatives 221