Treatment of Rental Income/allowances from Property
I have just received my first property rental client who has two properties which are let to students (not furnished holiday lettings). I need clarification on the following:
1. Personal Allowance cannot be used as this is unearned investment income.(no other income). Wife has earned income.
2. Client is paying a Retirement Annuity Premium, assuming gross payment before tax. Client has no earned income.
Am I correct in assuming he cannot use this to reduce his taxable profit, but that relief will still be given at the basic rate on the self assessment return. Therefore if he incurs a loss (this is carried forward), but he can claim a refund from the RAP.
3. From what I have read, Inland Revenue treat the profit/loss as shared equally betwwen husband and wife even if properties are only in husbands name, unless they are told otherwise.
4. Finally, when the properties are sold, for capital gains purposes can both the husband and wife use their combined exemptions currently £8200 each, or is only one allowed. As stated above Inland Revenue assume joint ownership. Previous accountant only allowed one exemption.
Thanks to all for any helpful advise.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 639 5
- See you all on the other side 690 6
- 12Pay 457 2
- dividends 604 2
- R&D 316 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,181 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 438 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 405 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 372 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 545 5
- Seeking a tax case 641 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 505 4
- Companies house strike off 546 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 426 2
- Moving to the cloud 743 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 216 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 903 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 208 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,090 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 500 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 562
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 327
- USA help 317
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 297
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 293
- Marginal rates of tax 290
- Class 2 NI 274