Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,413 385
- P11D Query 167 5
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 156 6
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 145 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 98 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,257 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 515 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 266 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,280 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 128 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 177 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 111 1
- Scottish but not UK 328 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 291 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 108 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 445 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 110 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 301 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 430
- National Insurance 332
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 327
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 246
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 153