Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- Errors in prior year accounts 101 2
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 125 8
- Well well well 293 3
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 159 7
- Accounting Crew 954 22
- LLP and LTD Co 76 3
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 97 1
- Real names 596 21
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 276 9
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 185 6
- CGT on Sale of shop 57 1
- Disincorporation before selling goodwill in the business 215 4
- Dividend payment date 1,908 33
- Hollyoaks cast - changes due to Social Security Regulations 2,751 18
- Garage Conversion -Ltd Company Office 154 2
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 154 5
- Director hired as an individual 127 2
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 131 2
- Company Secretarial Software 1,299 27
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 104 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 570
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 437
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 338
- IFA incorporation 315
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 304
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 298
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 254
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 242
- Sorry ignore me 240
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 236