Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- Using a PO Box address 41 2
- Late filing fees - worth appealing? 300 2
- Is an iPad a taxable benefit? 94 2
- Capital Gains Query 47 1
- Share restructure 254 9
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 403 7
- Unknown cash receipt 1,416 12
- Shareholder Loan write off 543 25
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 285 4
- CGT on Property 156 1
- Vat on sales invoice which includes expenses 140 3
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 729 19
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 345 9
- Gross sales to purchases 206 2
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 192 3
- Capital allowances 146 2
- RTI Filing 1,405 21
- Loan to a participator 167 4
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 380 7
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 119 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 714
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 482
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 318
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 308
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 255
- growth voucher supplier 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 192
- VAT on Gaming Machines 189
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 162
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 161