Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- Director issuing and buying shares in private Co 251 6
- Does director/largest shareholder's unpaid share capital need to go on a CT600A? 229 6
- How much tax should I be payng? 816 33
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 172 4
- Technical reference 220 2
- EIS/SEIS 235 2
- Can S455 tax repaid 302 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 194 2
- Form EIS3 128 2
- Comprehensive herd adjustment guidance 165 1
- Tax return for 05/04/13 shows income for year to 31/01/14 205 2
- Bank loan incorrectly posted 243 3
- CORPORATION TAX ONLINE - BOX 131 258 7
- Box AC60 HMRC Micro-entities CT600 filing 173 2
- Are you a member of the Aweb LinkedIn group? 227 2
- is the new landlord entitled to the 3 month exemption from business rates for empty premises, 219 4
- Foreign Partner - SA109? 107 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 473 7
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 816 10
- CPD - any cheap online sources? 350 7
- The booking.com con 343
- WWOOFers 338
- Cocaine anyone? 334
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 327
- Trade and asset transfers – fair value adjustments 217
- Restriction on loss relief from 2013-14 202
- logical office 199
- Purpose of issuing Holding share capital for s135 share exchange 185
- barclays UK vesus barclays US 183
- Associated companies where SCI with only one company in group 182