Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- BVI registered 158 4
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,335 23
- Closing a limited company 375 6
- Self assessment for directors 148 2
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 272 10
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,607 17
- A little knowledge 368 6
- Digita in the cloud 160 2
- Tax relief when working away 81 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 967 36
- Tax relief when working away 184 3
- Designated sole Residence 248 5
- Scratch Head 348 1
- Year end 270 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 324 13
- Clothing 640 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 173 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 204 5
- Identity check problem 1,522 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 269 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 965
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 688
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 632
- Latest phishing scam 612
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 451
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 333
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 267
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 229
- Sabbatical payments 227
- Negligible Value Claim 207