Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- B2B vat in the EU 136 3
- Why should I retain membership? 2,731 47
- Coding Notice 160 4
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 139 3
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 127 2
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 448 7
- Vat 279 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,277 13
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 345 7
- Recharge for private use of a company car 190 3
- Funding Circle Servicing Fee 164 2
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,491 18
- CT/CIS offset 146 2
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 192 4
- Trade name 192 3
- Musician - Allowable Travel expenses 143 1
- New business - journal entries 323 20
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 319 18
- VAT on deposits 212 2
- VAT clearance for determining the correct rate to apply 147 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 820
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 711
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 392
- Social investment tax relief 210
- Digita Hosted Software 205
- Call Centre Data Costs 195
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 163
- Travel costs and contractors 159
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 149
- accounting for this transaction 143