Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,688 21
- Capital gains tax and PPR 122 2
- Badges of trade 57 1
- online accounts and timesheets 56 2
- P11D & tax return 312 11
- Member meet up 1 October in London 362 9
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 230 7
- Identify cost savings 235 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 472 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 165 2
- Jobs after completing ACCA 165 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 609 11
- are these allowable deductions? 164 1
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 580 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 100 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 148 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 429 7
- Schedule A losses 159 1
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 217 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 843 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 439
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 394
- Electric Car 336
- S222 Charge 272
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 242
- AIA 217
- IP trans to holding company 210
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 210
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 172
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 165