Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 352 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 185 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 61 1
- Group Relief 110 4
- R&D Credits 88 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 218 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 79 2
- Clients 655 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 223 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 109 3
- Starting new accounting business 255 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 450 10
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 72 1
- Sage Payroll 88 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 102 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 423 8
- Tolley UK sales number 208 7
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 117 2
- Are agent account managers any good? 157 2
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 91 3
- QROP pension input amounts 492
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 476
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 438
- EPS and CIS deductions 293
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 285
- Construction CIS LLP Company 276
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 238
- SAGE winforecast 198
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 188
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 182