Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,638 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 235 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 328 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 373 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 482 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 120 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 513 1
- Paying Son 619 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 336 7
- HMRC accounting 246 3
- Employers NI allowance 440 6
- Dividend taxation 251 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 156 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 177 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 149 3
- Love is in the air 158 2
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 437 4
- iris update 11.9.2 445 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 271 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 682 8
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 273
- CGT for NOn UK residents 269
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 256
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 242
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 228
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 207
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 185