Two businesses and VAT - again
I recently saw a potential new client, husband and wife - operating as a driving school business.
Essentially the husband is the qualified instructor and the wife plays no part in the running of the business - other than "administratively". The business is divided in two and run by two limited companies, the shareholder and director of each being individually the husband and wife. Both companies thus come within the VAT registration threshold and consequently are not VAT registered.
I advised the husband and wife that, in my view, the two companies in fact operated as one business (in fact their website bears no mention of the two separate companies) and that both should be VAT registered. They were extremely concerned at this and stated that they had only ever formed the companies on advice given by their current (chartered) accountant as the business grew - essentially to legitimately avoid VAT registartion. I advised that they should obtain written clarification of the position from the current accountant as, I felt, it seemed an obvious instance of VAT evasion.
Subsequently I have been forwarded by the husband a letter he has received from the current accountant. In that he confirms his advice as correct in that as there are two companies involved, each with separate director, shareholders, bank accounts etc, HM Revenue & Customs would definitely not regard them as one business - and therefore not registrable.
As a consequence of the "definitive" advice now received from the (chartered) accountant the husband and wife have decided to stay with him rather than move to us - on the basis that he cannot be wrong........
My query I suppose is really to ascertain if I am correct in advising as I did (and as a consequence lost a client to a potentially negligent competitor) and, if I am, do I have any reporting obligations under the money laundering regulations?
- Partnership returns software 108 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 814 18
- Tasks for new trainees 167 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 282 10
- VAT on garage rent 148 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 96 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 170 3
- Property scam victim 321 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 249 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 64 1
- Have i messed up? 757 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 425 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 62 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 120 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 79 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 86 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 577 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 110 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,657 46
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 273 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,098
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 578
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 385
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 290
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 191
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 175
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 163
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 156