Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,291 48
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 434 9
- Redoing accounts for mortgage lender 186 5
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 312 9
- Opening Balances 236 3
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 349 11
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 270 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 138 3
- Company struck off 139 4
- Employment Allowance 374 6
- West Bromich Albion 335 2
- What are options for non CA firm 2,885 61
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 401 10
- 27,000 Really? 1,228 38
- Legal title not in the company name 821 23
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 620 7
- Tax Credits for Self Employed 179 1
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 120 1
- This is getting boring 658 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 291 7
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 646
- Cancelled 400
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 356
- Cancelled 345
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 312
- Probiz 307
- How not to compose an email 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 284
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 225
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 200