Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Client refusing to change basis period 94 2
- Highlighting a line on cell click 14 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,932 64
- Companies House Authentication code 121 5
- RBS asking client to switch accountant 392 5
- Free accounts system for small business? 327 6
- Payroll Software Recommendations 284 9
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 474 11
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 642 15
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 309 13
- Rights of Alphabet shares 341 13
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 251 3
- Company paying out on guarantee 123 4
- Incorporation and goodwill 289 5
- Industrial & Provident Societies 399 4
- Domain name sale and limited company 277 1
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 287 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,835 14
- indexation factors 117 3
- Drector renting room to company 251 5
- Xtuple 585
- Qtac payroll for bureau 410
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 355
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 226
- Tax on damages received 207
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 164
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 164
- Is an apprenticship classed as another job for PAYE RTI rules 155
- PTP Software 146
- Accounting for commercial lease with break clause 141