Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Employee steeling client data 78 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,348 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 188 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 126 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 88 1
- CT600 268 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 204 4
- signature required 908 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 177 1
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 461 13
- Community awards 2014 - first category 175 6
- Can you help me spot errors? 330 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 328 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 132 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 85 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 147 2
- Payment plans for clients 273 3
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 91 1
- Lease 145 4
- Free invoicing software 506 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,306
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 547
- Credit where credit's due....... 338
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 229
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 187
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 180
- Director's business mileage 149
- Sole trader CPD 145