Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 48 1
- Charity reserves 144 5
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 108 3
- Part-time work - advice please? 52 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 205 5
- Aggressive HMRC 1,627 18
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 252 5
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 161 12
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 146 2
- Dazed & confused 268 3
- Tax efficient holding company structure 303 1
- Property scam victim 124 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 142 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 78 1
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,678 68
- Loss on disposal and impairment 75 1
- Comments on this scenario 163 3
- PPR election - what do you think? 241 7
- Penalties 126 1
- SAGE con 245 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,030
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 559
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 369
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 278
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 215
- Charge out rates in London? 215
- Personal consumption by landlord 184
- Interest on Loan to a Company 175
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 151
- Agent fees to sell business 147