Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- The importance of Grammar 888 24
- New starter - tax code 171 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 97 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,681 60
- PI cover 81 2
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 251 3
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 115 2
- HMRC site down ? 144 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 136 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 198 3
- Xero Pain Points 250 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 92 1
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 110 1
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 156 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 375 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 147 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 588 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 233 3
- Childcare 270 4
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 813 19
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 360
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 299
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 284
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 280
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 272
- Electric Car 220
- S222 Charge 200
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 194
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 189
- Company Structure 171