Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- P11D Car Value 60 2
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,243 11
- Business lending another business money (UK) 234 6
- Stand alone practice management software 1,961 30
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 283 5
- bookkeeping system 664 9
- Legal advisor recommendation please 161 3
- HMRC Postal Delays 255 7
- Landing clients 688 21
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 530 6
- Signed accounts for bank 511 10
- Non-Taxable Expenses Reimbursement 116 3
- Time to react ? ? ? 660 6
- Dividends allowed on ordinary shares transferred during the year?? 142 2
- Dividends 146 3
- Closure of PAYE scheme 134 1
- cash the returned VAT cheque 329 3
- Rent a room for half a year, fully let for the other half? 127 1
- Termination Payment 439 14
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 206 6