Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Is paying for hotel for employee to work at office taxable? 87 1
- Getting hassle from client 20 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 291 11
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 238 7
- Rowing Machine - allowable company asset? 94 2
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 190 3
- Late RTI filing re SMP 127 3
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 185 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 104 6
- Additional information attached to accounts 210 2
- CIS Software 128 1
- Company assets 372 16
- MoneySoft 190 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 106 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 665 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 149 2
- Self assessment 158 1
- Claiming VAT 152 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,134 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 180 4
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 506
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 483
- Is there anything wrong with this? 282
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 269
- Uncommercial property business 249
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 206
- Registering online CWF1 187
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 184
- VAT - registration needed? 184
- Accrued income scheme 183