Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Where can I get the information for this 363 7
- BrightPay 361 9
- If a company made large profits in 2009, is there a time limit for later losses to be set off against those profits to recover tax? 200 3
- CGT &LLP 76 2
- Am I at risk as an appointed Agent? 540 4
- Setting up an offshore company 100 1
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 185 16
- Secure document exchange 124 3
- Question for FreeAgent users 161 4
- Any way of declaring a variable dividend? 392 7
- break even point 169 5
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 114 3
- Fax to email providers 326 11
- Payroll software 243 11
- Ghost messages from HMRC...... 135 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 142 4
- How to issue shares to investors 93 1
- Expense management software 631 12
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,108 84
- Tax code 153 1