Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- property capital gains 178 2
- Transferring DLA between Directors 182 1
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,172 13
- Tips on meals 200 2
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 521 10
- Rental losses on jointly owned property 182 3
- Personal Tax 741 13
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 217 2
- Stumped - IHT 172 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 415 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 475 11
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,288 33
- Credit management tools 160 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 775 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 415 7
- CGT and primary residence 189 1
- Marriage Allowance 294 3
- S455 and February year ends 346 7
- HMRC having technical difficulties 902 18
- Closing down loss-making company 467 5