Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Childcare vouchers 72 2
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 284 6
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 194 5
- VAT avoidance? 161 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 143 3
- PAYE coding out 126 3
- Follower cases 560 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 324 3
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 716 23
- LIVE chat, starting now 439 2
- Late Registration for VAT 432 12
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 393 5
- TheTax Donut 1,127 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 327 6
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 698 10
- How to explain this to someone 390 2
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 81 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 706 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 320 4
- Old CGT loss 361 10
- Hive up 459
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 424
- corporate hierarchy 410
- Advice - 235
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 208
- Amortisation of Goodwill 200
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 191
- WWOOFers 185
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 168
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 167