Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 268 11
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 644 21
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 139 1
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 554 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 635 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,247 45
- practice planning 173 3
- Accounts Software 719 19
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 502 14
- Dividend Vouchers 385 5
- Gift to employee 420 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 171 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 171 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,125 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 193 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 164 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,680 10
- Which address 1,088 12
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,542 17
- R&D tax claim 272 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 490
- CTA study material 470
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 341
- Pre incorp expenses 328
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 278
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 267
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 216
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 171
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 144
- Employment related securities question 130