Is UK now half-baked US and half-baked EU?
Some of our fundamental laws and practices are based upon the membership of EU and our 57% external trade with EU. Other fundamental beliefs, trade, investment, ties, etc. lean more towards US connections and the U S Dollar.
We seem to be on a seesaw but sitting in the middle and not really moving forward with full force. I genuinely believe that either we should join the EURO and be whole hearted in the EU or we should get out altogether and follow the American system of capitalism wholeheatedly.
For example, SMEs in Germany make up about 30% of all the businesses in terms of market share that are very strongly supported by local, regional and national German government and commercial banks. In the UK, SME's "equivalent" market share is only about 10%. In the US, the bottom 10 per cent of the work force is 10 times worse off than the bottom 10 per cent of the work force in EU which has a fundamentally different kind of capitalism.
My recent visit to Paris and use of the Metro with a packet of 10 tickets for 10 Euros convinced me that if we subsidised our tube by 100's of millions of pounds, we would gain billions of pounds extra in tourism. We must look back 200 years and look forward 200 years before jumping to a conclusion just based on five economic tests and one political test. Does anyone have views on this?
It is not money we need to spend to persuade the public on which way we should go. It is deep thought and profound debate on these issues.
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 456 13
- Revenue phishing examples 317 2
- Do joint employment contracts enjoy double NI allowances? 268 4
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 384 1
- Company Structure 395 11
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 195 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,574 33
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 305 8
- Advertising Tips? 369 8
- Transferring rental property to limited company 529 15
- will this work for IHT 114 1
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 571 9
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 125 3
- Time recording 217 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 264 4
- Land Registry 277 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 985 13
- Auto Enrolment 686 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 816 19
- Company Number 10000000 454 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 739
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 437
- Costly Accounting Software contract 374
- Directors' advances and credits 290
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 261
- DTA tie-breaker issue 253
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 236
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 213
- CGT for NOn UK residents 196
- Apprenticeship Levy 186