A potential new client has contacted me to help sort an existing tax problem. Apparently he has, following a conversation with a fellow employee, contacted the Revenue to advise he thought he was being undercharged tax. He has 2 employments, but neither PAYE code reflected this, the second only charging hime at basic rate. Unfortunately, he was correct in his belief; the Revenue has now investigated his file back to 2002/03 I believ, and is now demanding payment of overdue tax of £6000 within 30 days. I will be meeting the client next week, and will obviously be doing my own research b4 the meeting and following the meeting if I feel I can assist in this matter. In the meantime I would be very grateful for any opinions or details of potential sources regarding the following:
1. Is it reasonable for the Revenue to go back in this way, as earnings have been reported to them by the 2 employers throughout.
2. If so, is it reasonable for them to insist on payment over such a short timescale.
The client is obviously worried about finding the funds over such a short timescale, and feels he is punished for being honest; many would not have contacted the Revenue, and given this has been going on for several years, they may never have been picked up by them. Indeed, if he had not spoken to another employee, he would not have even known there was a problem; he had previouslyassumed all tax was being collected through his PAYE.
Any assistance regarding myquries, or anything I have not considered at this stage.
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 43 2
- Family Partnership 233 6
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 142 4
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 78 2
- flat rate scheme 2,320 47
- Signed accounts for bank 634 14
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 826 12
- Business lending another business money (UK) 287 7
- Deferring dividends on paper 164 5
- VAT Query on new build 98 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 136 1
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 145 4
- How to format Co-operative Accounts 89 1
- P11D Car Value 257 6
- NOVA declaration 103 1
- Business valuation advice 706 18
- Auto enrolment: What’s your plan? 1,503 16
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,225 23
- Can anybody recommend any software 291 2
- Stand alone practice management software 2,108 26