Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 390 9
- Fees for Property Tax Return 394 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,548 466
- Naming new company 404 7
- Email hacker for hire ... 93 1
- SA302 for mortgage advisors 33 1
- PPR posers 221 5
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,005 43
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 264 5
- RTI penalties coming in from 6/10/14 116 4
- Does anyone use quotation software? 243 4
- VAT on Imports 67 2
- Corp Tax Refund 83 1
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 643 17
- employment capital allowances 195 1
- Direct Debit - no receipts 352 6
- Use of home expenses Rent calculation 216 1
- Can't read my handwriting 420 9
- Annual PAYE schemes - Moneysoft 127 2
- Who is a Minister of Religion for Tax Purposes? 129 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,355
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 502
- National Insurance 389
- Non Resident 309
- Hands on experience of Digita 232
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 208
- Employer's Helpline 181
- CIS paid under reg 9 170
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 142
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 135