Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Pay in Lieu of notice 138 5
- Farm barn lettings 150 3
- inheritance tax 84 3
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 66 1
- Capital payments offshore trust 67 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 100 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,199 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 104 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 184 1
- Deduction from Salary 470 11
- Doctor and Locum Work 161 2
- State pension 158 1
- NALS Accountants Report 294 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 261 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,137 40
- CIC Company 620 11
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 284 6
- This is getting boring 493 10
- 27,000 Really? 774 24
- VAT on printing when being a third party 115 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 632
- Cancelled 378
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 349
- Cancelled 323
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 298
- Probiz 288
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 259
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 246
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 215
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 194