Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 49 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 2,364 28
- Companies House incorporation service 123 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 519 11
- utr 110 4
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 121 3
- Moneysoft Payroll Manager 283 7
- P9D or P11D 695 7
- CT return error message 362 10
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,692 43
- Group subcontracting - accounts not consolidated 105 2
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 92 1
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 92 1
- Audit rules 368 8
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 290 7
- Slipped out of the self assessment radar 220 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 823 11
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 186 2
- FRS17 query 203 2
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,016 6
- Xtuple 541
- Qtac payroll for bureau 369
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 313
- Industrial & Provident Societies 307
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 276
- CIS schemes 208
- Domain name sale and limited company 201
- Investment 179
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 171
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 170