Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- VAT Flat Rate Scheme 283 3
- A Friday Funny. 289 5
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 217 2
- Something for the weekend? 223 5
- Moneysoft Payroll 542 12
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 1,240 19
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,533 26
- Coming out of flat rate 149 1
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,590 27
- Accounting for display stands 218 6
- AML reporting to NCA 156 3
- Is it any of my business ? 1,479 14
- vat gross profit percentage margins 413 1
- HMRC enquiry - PAYE error / RTI 308 4
- VAT training 226 3
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 349 6
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 198 1
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 383 9
- Companies House Search 282 2
- HMRC Online Services Problems 558 14
- NHS finance professionals 704
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 429
- Foreign Pension Contribution 401
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 383
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 381
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 333
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 299
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 275
- IFA income recognition & reporting 223
- Incorporating doctors 217