Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Next Move 550 15
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 255 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 164 3
- Company formation and bank account 287 8
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 658 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,553 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 554 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 402 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 205 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 395 8
- OneNote is fantastic 504 11
- VAT Direct Debit 362 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 444 8
- Self Assessment Software 689 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 438 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,359 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 274 11
- Owning overseas property 255 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 369 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 285 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 659
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 402
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 401
- Property letting & CAs 392
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 383
- 2015 tax year end 383
- FCA regulated company in a small group 340
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 282
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230
- DTA tie-breaker issue 202