Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 94 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 198 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 189 3
- Sorry ignore me 872 24
- Invoice Help 189 5
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 537 5
- What are options for non CA firm 1,912 35
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,221 12
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 124 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 779 20
- VAT & capitalising 44 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 290 5
- Free Shares ? 232 2
- Is this a scam? 547 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 289 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 269 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 144 1
- Peer to Peer lending 863 9
- VAT B2B V's Reverse Charge 97 2
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 210 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 621
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 529
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 292
- Cancelled 283
- Cancelled 242
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 188
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 186
- Probiz 168
- What's the market like for temps? 163
- Married woman dies owning marital home 160