Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Corporation Tax Software 392 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 76 1
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 27 1
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,003 14
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 663 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 80 1
- Auto enrolment 123 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 126 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 91 4
- Regular Director bonus 439 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 144 1
- Registration as self-employed 127 1
- BrightPay 1,090 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 529 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 345 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,107 17
- BIK for an electric car 163 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,629 90
- How do I save face? 2,367 14
- Goodie bag 3,101 72
- Possible Partnership? 689
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 534
- Fuming! 513
- New Fangled Penalties 466
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 334
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 275
- Moving away from CCH software 265
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 256
- Outsource Data Entry 255
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 207