Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- A little knowledge 288 6
- Digita in the cloud 120 2
- Tax relief when working away 49 1
- Anybody still doing returns? 931 36
- Self assessment for directors 73 1
- Tax relief when working away 151 3
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 244 9
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,304 20
- Designated sole Residence 234 5
- Scratch Head 335 1
- Year end 259 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 318 13
- Clothing 627 19
- Investment properties/freehold land 157 6
- Parent and subsidiary... 188 5
- Identity check problem 1,515 14
- No tax returns for 6 year 219 1
- Capital allowances on Software 239 2
- Trading Losses - 3 Year Carry Back 139 3
- Company director and KIT days 138 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 962
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 685
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 632
- Latest phishing scam 611
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 448
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 333
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 266
- Sabbatical payments 227
- Still Christmas at HMRC? 212
- Negligible Value Claim 205