Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 585 5
- See you all on the other side 670 6
- 12Pay 433 2
- dividends 578 2
- R&D 304 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,159 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 430 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 388 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 359 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 535 5
- Seeking a tax case 631 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 491 4
- Companies house strike off 517 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 410 2
- Moving to the cloud 730 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 210 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 885 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 202 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,087 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 482 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 556
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 418
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 367
- IRIS and FRS 102 352
- Capitalising Finance Lease 318
- USA help 314
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 294
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 285
- Marginal rates of tax 271
- Capital gains on rental property 261