Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Payroll question 58 2
- Where has Portia gone? 4,597 106
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 434 8
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 227 5
- In pratice using part time accountants 129 1
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 144 3
- Overlap profit 206 4
- Goodwill On Incorporation 78 1
- CT600 for first year UK company trading abroad 164 13
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 326 5
- micro entity balance sheet query 262 6
- Keeping disastrous accounts 176 1
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 610 19
- RTI Payroll ID 929 21
- VAT flat rate scheme 534 9
- Computations in HMRC accounts software 122 2
- EIS 3 Processing Delays at HMRC 181 2
- Unwarranted VAT assessments 145 1
- Virtual Assistants 135 1
- Where can I report and accountant for defraud 532 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 833
- Pensions Regulator 473
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 437
- Sanzar 333
- How do you do it 325
- Digital marketing focus group 309
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 283
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 199
- new investor structure 194
- Fit for purpose 189