Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Disclosure query 15 1
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 183 5
- Top slicing relief question 120 2
- Share swap 182 3
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 351 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 260 2
- Auto enrolment 239 4
- Tax on sale of shares 151 3
- Accountants' Error 842 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 329 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 220 6
- Shareholder agreement 221 5
- VAT - time of supply 78 2
- Let Property Campaign & DO2 102 1
- Regaining my qualification 307 3
- Scoot 256 5
- Remittances 130 1
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 117 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 161 2
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,539 21
- Skandia using wrong address 1,462
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 781
- Any views 710
- HMRC Employers Diary 528
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 266
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 258