Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Company car but paying for insurance personally - reduces benefit in kind? 198 16
- AIA 98 6
- I have done a terrible thing 95 4
- partnership tax return 26 2
- Anyone else still working this week? 109 4
- s455 tax 54 3
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 29 1
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 45 1
- LLp Profits 60 3
- Am I getting Soft?? 493 12
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 251 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 180 3
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,479 44
- Taxation of the sale Record rights 84 1
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 353 18
- Cocaine anyone? 806 13
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 349 7
- Benefit in Kind 409 9
- How much does the company pay 271 5
- Lack of VAT Receipt 237 4
- Hive up 529
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 487
- corporate hierarchy 461
- Advice - 310
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 255
- WWOOFers 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 229
- The booking.com con 218
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 208
- Cocaine anyone? 197