Undistributed trust income
I act for a discretionary trust which has undistributed income arising over several years - but always recorded as such in the trust accounts. Although the trust deed allows accumulation, no formal decision to accumulate has ever been made. A large "tax pool" has accrued. The income has now been distributed.
HMRC state that any undistributed income, year by year, becomes accumulated income and therefore a capital receipt when distributed to any beneficiary.
In this case the beneficiary is a non-taxpayer who, if the distribution is treated as income and an R185 issued, could recover most of the tax certified on the R185. The distribution was entered at Q.14 in the trust tax return.
I'm a bit wary about issuing an R185 to the beneficiary. We're talking about a potential £10,000 tax recovery.
Can I issue an R185 ? At what point does a discretionary trust's undistributed income become "accumulated" and therefore transformed into capital when distributed ?
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 134 1
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 215 9
- How to Value a Business 469 9
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 124 5
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 537 13
- How much did you pay for your website 478 13
- Companies House 127 2
- HMRC repayment issued, how long till it hits account? 110 1
- Sage Payroll & NIC 379 7
- Company Pension Contributions 253 6
- Gross Profit Percentage 208 4
- Expenses allowable 160 3
- Let Property Campaign 384 6
- Is there anything I should know about Northern Irish companies? 132 1
- Self employment trap - pension 343 3
- Awkward IP 612 9
- ESC A19 127 2
- When does my Property business start 268 4
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,536 43
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 868 19
- CTA study material 600
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 593
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 366
- Employment related securities question 223
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 196
- ATED Penalties 194
- AIM Stocks and IHT 175
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 131
- Expat pension contributions? 126
- Trust for Employee 124