Unincorporating a business
Looking for a bit of help. I've dealt with plenty of incorporations but never an unincorporation.
Am I right in thinking that the rules regarding the transfer of stock and assets are pretty much the same for an unincorporation as they are for an incorporation?
i.e. Plant & Machinery at lower of actual consideration and original cost or joint election to transfer at TWDV.
Stock at market value or election for higher of acquisition cost or amount actually sold for.
The sole director/shareholder is owed quite a bit more than there is in the bank, so presumably some of his loan can be satisfied by transferring assets and stock to him? This still won't cover the additional amount owing (I assume he can't "pay" more than the market value for either assets or stock") so could he be deemed to have paid for goodwill also (so he can then write it off in his sole trader accounts to reduce tax liability) or is that not allowed as they are connected? Whether the goodwill actually has any value would be highly debatable as although the business is trading it doesn't actually make enough to even cover very basic expenses.
Would be grateful for any advice on this.
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,285 22
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 59 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 266 7
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 29 2
- EIS/SEIS capital gains exemption 181 4
- VAT on introducer fees 102 2
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 31 2
- Pay-slip date & Pay-ment Date 168 12
- Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) 311 18
- What is the role of an accountant? 267 7
- Scottish but not UK 264 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 254 9
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 278 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,151 362
- CIS 335 11
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 108 5
- Sole Trade - Losses B/Fwd 279 14
- Construction Industry Scheme Age Limit 107 3
- Company Accounts 403 7
- P11D Query 116 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,220
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 427
- National Insurance 326
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 319
- Non Resident 250
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 239
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 222
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154