Unincorporating a business
Looking for a bit of help. I've dealt with plenty of incorporations but never an unincorporation.
Am I right in thinking that the rules regarding the transfer of stock and assets are pretty much the same for an unincorporation as they are for an incorporation?
i.e. Plant & Machinery at lower of actual consideration and original cost or joint election to transfer at TWDV.
Stock at market value or election for higher of acquisition cost or amount actually sold for.
The sole director/shareholder is owed quite a bit more than there is in the bank, so presumably some of his loan can be satisfied by transferring assets and stock to him? This still won't cover the additional amount owing (I assume he can't "pay" more than the market value for either assets or stock") so could he be deemed to have paid for goodwill also (so he can then write it off in his sole trader accounts to reduce tax liability) or is that not allowed as they are connected? Whether the goodwill actually has any value would be highly debatable as although the business is trading it doesn't actually make enough to even cover very basic expenses.
Would be grateful for any advice on this.
- Accountancy Career 344 5
- Accounts Software 180 6
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,369 22
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,705 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 112 1
- HMRC Agents Line 225 4
- calculation DTR restriction 97 1
- Company Director In Prison 469 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 96 1
- AWeb - download file 190 3
- Charity work 252 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 275 6
- Director Drawings 208 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 282 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 242 7
- Collection or business assets 118 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 279 8
- Tax position re this lease? 374 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 735 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 110 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 686
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 527
- Cancelled 429
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 204