Unincorporating a business
Looking for a bit of help. I've dealt with plenty of incorporations but never an unincorporation.
Am I right in thinking that the rules regarding the transfer of stock and assets are pretty much the same for an unincorporation as they are for an incorporation?
i.e. Plant & Machinery at lower of actual consideration and original cost or joint election to transfer at TWDV.
Stock at market value or election for higher of acquisition cost or amount actually sold for.
The sole director/shareholder is owed quite a bit more than there is in the bank, so presumably some of his loan can be satisfied by transferring assets and stock to him? This still won't cover the additional amount owing (I assume he can't "pay" more than the market value for either assets or stock") so could he be deemed to have paid for goodwill also (so he can then write it off in his sole trader accounts to reduce tax liability) or is that not allowed as they are connected? Whether the goodwill actually has any value would be highly debatable as although the business is trading it doesn't actually make enough to even cover very basic expenses.
Would be grateful for any advice on this.
- Scottish Independance 655 18
- Dress code 1,401 32
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 141 1
- Limited company buying director's car 100 5
- Entrepeneurs relief 198 10
- How to complain about HMRC 1,301 15
- Historical figures for WTC 53 1
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 94 1
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 131 2
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 146 1
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 418 9
- Car maintenance costs deductible against CT 1,151 16
- Commercial kitchen equipement deemed chattels for SDLT and capital allowances purposes? 110 2
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 256 4
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 423 6
- WC's and capital allowances 103 1
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 259 1
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 891 10
- carry back of gift aid 125 2
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 139 3
- CTA study material 757
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 467
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 362
- Employment related securities question 300
- AIM Stocks and IHT 275
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 246
- Expat pension contributions? 246
- Trust for Employee 228
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 145
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 142