Unincorporating a business
Looking for a bit of help. I've dealt with plenty of incorporations but never an unincorporation.
Am I right in thinking that the rules regarding the transfer of stock and assets are pretty much the same for an unincorporation as they are for an incorporation?
i.e. Plant & Machinery at lower of actual consideration and original cost or joint election to transfer at TWDV.
Stock at market value or election for higher of acquisition cost or amount actually sold for.
The sole director/shareholder is owed quite a bit more than there is in the bank, so presumably some of his loan can be satisfied by transferring assets and stock to him? This still won't cover the additional amount owing (I assume he can't "pay" more than the market value for either assets or stock") so could he be deemed to have paid for goodwill also (so he can then write it off in his sole trader accounts to reduce tax liability) or is that not allowed as they are connected? Whether the goodwill actually has any value would be highly debatable as although the business is trading it doesn't actually make enough to even cover very basic expenses.
Would be grateful for any advice on this.
- Growing pains 99 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 460 19
- Residents Association Corp Tax 79 2
- Gift to employee 98 2
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 41 2
- Who can I refer leads to? 349 8
- Cash accounting to flat rate scheme 98 4
- Any Need to Formally "Sack" Client Company? 408 4
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 89 1
- new capital structure ltd with investors 305 5
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 120 2
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 261 4
- Directors/owners taking too much cash... 1,852 17
- Easiest and quickest way to reopen dissolved company, for the purposes of having access to funds in the bank account. 284 8
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 400 12
- Private Healthcare Benefit In Kind 164 4
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 721 9
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 134 2
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 299 8
- SA tax assessments 216 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 434
- CTA study material 392
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 291
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 252
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 229
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 219
- Slight twist on employment related securities 199
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 155
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 145