Unincorporating a business
Looking for a bit of help. I've dealt with plenty of incorporations but never an unincorporation.
Am I right in thinking that the rules regarding the transfer of stock and assets are pretty much the same for an unincorporation as they are for an incorporation?
i.e. Plant & Machinery at lower of actual consideration and original cost or joint election to transfer at TWDV.
Stock at market value or election for higher of acquisition cost or amount actually sold for.
The sole director/shareholder is owed quite a bit more than there is in the bank, so presumably some of his loan can be satisfied by transferring assets and stock to him? This still won't cover the additional amount owing (I assume he can't "pay" more than the market value for either assets or stock") so could he be deemed to have paid for goodwill also (so he can then write it off in his sole trader accounts to reduce tax liability) or is that not allowed as they are connected? Whether the goodwill actually has any value would be highly debatable as although the business is trading it doesn't actually make enough to even cover very basic expenses.
Would be grateful for any advice on this.
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 94 2
- The return 682 25
- break even point 1,081 32
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 55 1
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 130 4
- IHT Query 387 8
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 85 2
- Charity accounting 59 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 986 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 143 2
- Get it off your chest 145 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 131 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 347 2
- Limited Company trading status. 322 8
- Payroll 176 6
- Classic cars investment 506 14
- Vat registration 170 5
- VAT ON MAINTENANCE PROVIDED TO ESTATE AGENT 101 3
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 213 6
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 226 2
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 545
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 345
- Clubs and Taxable Income 285
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 269
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 205
- Outsource Data Entry 172
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172