Unincorporating a business
Looking for a bit of help. I've dealt with plenty of incorporations but never an unincorporation.
Am I right in thinking that the rules regarding the transfer of stock and assets are pretty much the same for an unincorporation as they are for an incorporation?
i.e. Plant & Machinery at lower of actual consideration and original cost or joint election to transfer at TWDV.
Stock at market value or election for higher of acquisition cost or amount actually sold for.
The sole director/shareholder is owed quite a bit more than there is in the bank, so presumably some of his loan can be satisfied by transferring assets and stock to him? This still won't cover the additional amount owing (I assume he can't "pay" more than the market value for either assets or stock") so could he be deemed to have paid for goodwill also (so he can then write it off in his sole trader accounts to reduce tax liability) or is that not allowed as they are connected? Whether the goodwill actually has any value would be highly debatable as although the business is trading it doesn't actually make enough to even cover very basic expenses.
Would be grateful for any advice on this.
- Group Relief 157 4
- New shareholder 252 4
- Newly Started Practice 790 16
- Moneysoft update problem 77 1
- HMRC stupidity of the day 289 3
- Directors obligation to notify 223 2
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 234 4
- Clients 821 17
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 267 5
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 376 3
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 342 2
- Sage Payroll 193 4
- PAYROLL - SAGE v Microsoft Payroll Manager 186 3
- Client's company struck off 1,037 19
- Simplified auto enrolment? 272 2
- Tax and children 223 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 613 8
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 409 16
- Starting new accounting business 385 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 175 4
- QROP pension input amounts 506
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 494
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 451
- EPS and CIS deductions 313
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 300
- Construction CIS LLP Company 292
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 260
- SAGE winforecast 210
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 196
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 191