Unincorporating a business
Looking for a bit of help. I've dealt with plenty of incorporations but never an unincorporation.
Am I right in thinking that the rules regarding the transfer of stock and assets are pretty much the same for an unincorporation as they are for an incorporation?
i.e. Plant & Machinery at lower of actual consideration and original cost or joint election to transfer at TWDV.
Stock at market value or election for higher of acquisition cost or amount actually sold for.
The sole director/shareholder is owed quite a bit more than there is in the bank, so presumably some of his loan can be satisfied by transferring assets and stock to him? This still won't cover the additional amount owing (I assume he can't "pay" more than the market value for either assets or stock") so could he be deemed to have paid for goodwill also (so he can then write it off in his sole trader accounts to reduce tax liability) or is that not allowed as they are connected? Whether the goodwill actually has any value would be highly debatable as although the business is trading it doesn't actually make enough to even cover very basic expenses.
Would be grateful for any advice on this.
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 340 6
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 531 14
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 264 7
- Limited company purchase of property 495 4
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 125 3
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,006 15
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 301 17
- Goodwill complications 284 6
- Tax relief for VAT assessment 42 1
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 150 1
- How much of your work is admin? 714 9
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 222 4
- Will I need to resign? 462 7
- Trade creditor journal 124 2
- The declaration on the VAT return is wrong ??? 191 1
- Old CGT loss 244 4
- Bulk submissions to Companies House 486 2
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 415 9
- HMRC Distraint 163 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 180 2