Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 653 8
- Partially exempt? 233 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 78 1
- First VAT Visit for client 199 4
- Dividend in specie 220 7
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 152 8
- Lorry Drivers 129 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 48 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 74 1
- Mexican student in UK 111 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 189 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 288 12
- payroll software 92 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,044 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 86 1
- Pricing 327 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 244 5
- VAT 115 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 848 18
- Rental Income Tax Planning 211 3
- Skandia using wrong address 479
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 275
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 271
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 218
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 215
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 210
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 202
- Etax Australian 169
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 157