Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 918 20
- Moneysoft Payroll 164 3
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 77 1
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 246 9
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 242 4
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 928 14
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 469 7
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 160 4
- Client right to working papers 1,541 11
- vat gross margins 186 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 204 4
- e mail 184 1
- Auto enrolment 580 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,354 6
- VAT on new build property 157 2
- Auto enrolment 299 9
- SAGE 50 2011 155 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,631 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,878 22
- Loss on sale of goodwill 216 2
- NHS finance professionals 669
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 411
- Foreign Pension Contribution 378
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 368
- vat gross profit percentage margins 358
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 351
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 310
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 277
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 241
- IFA income recognition & reporting 212