Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,149 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 700 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 69 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 255 8
- recompense capital input 195 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 229 2
- CT losses carry back 100 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 167 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 769 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 419 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,277 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 149 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 231 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 219 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 262 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 798
- RTI - duplicate employee record 565
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 335
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185