Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- App recommended by HMRC for record keeping 35 1
- Excel query 220 7
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 206 6
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 816 23
- Umbrella or limited company? 38 1
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 237 4
- Industrial and Provident Society Accounts Format 57 1
- Payment on account penalties 211 5
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 390 16
- New supplier 213 4
- Can I contribute to SIPP if I pay no salary/dividend from ltd company 351 6
- Buying a horse?? 485 14
- Year End Bank Position 64 1
- Accounting software integration with self assessment 106 2
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 289 8
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 124 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,086 15
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 190 3
- Agent authorisation for RTI filing 84 1
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,382 14
- CTA study material 812
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 501
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 469
- Employment related securities question 328
- AIM Stocks and IHT 314
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 287
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 244
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162