Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- Not a good start no broadband 13 1
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 110 5
- Penalty suspension 96 1
- is this fraud? 239 7
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 310 7
- Directors Subsistence 272 2
- R&D tax credit claim 103 2
- Corporate shareholder question 224 4
- Bartercard 300 4
- What's the market like for temps? 227 1
- is my company accounts right? 947 24
- What can my client claim r & d on? 154 4
- P11D Dispensation 145 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 385 7
- Invoice Help 416 11
- CGT 89 2
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 312 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,077 28
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 416 9
- Class 2 National Insurance contributions 389 6
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 558
- Cancelled 322
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 320
- Cancelled 269
- Married woman dies owning marital home 235
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 230
- Probiz 219
- CIS Deductions 172
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 166
- Car leasing scheme 149