Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- Help with Mortgage Application? 475 7
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 165 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,613 283
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 212 10
- Standard 'email' template system 875 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 459 9
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,027 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 215 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 87 1
- Circular shareholding 230 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 188 6
- business card address 299 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 213 2
- Declined for business bank account 227 4
- Loan to a related company 101 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 656 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 331 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 267 8
- property rental income split 126 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 137 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,112
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 366
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 239
- Payments on account coded out?? 228
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 221
- Non Resident 186
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 180
- Franchise income and costs 176