Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 125 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 185 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 72 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 59 1
- Overpayment relief claim 140 5
- Charity reserves 124 3
- Have i messed up? 630 10
- rates of pay query 194 2
- Year end 342 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 196 3
- Comments on this scenario 69 1
- Related Parties Note 412 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 84 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 119 4
- loss on carbon credits 100 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 569 9
- SAGE con 186 3
- Dazed & confused 179 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 233 2
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 231 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,005
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 544
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 272
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 212
- Charge out rates in London? 208
- Personal consumption by landlord 179
- Interest on Loan to a Company 172
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 149