Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- Subsistence Exclusions 121 2
- CT600 260 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 193 4
- signature required 904 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 167 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,338 22
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 454 13
- Community awards 2014 - first category 160 6
- Can you help me spot errors? 318 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 324 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 110 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 84 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 145 2
- Payment plans for clients 273 3
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 91 1
- Lease 141 4
- Free invoicing software 503 4
- Digita Hosted Software 397 4
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 187 5
- Thin Client recomendation 236 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,304
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 546
- Credit where credit's due....... 336
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 229
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 187
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 179
- Director's business mileage 145
- Sole trader CPD 145