Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 85 6
- Payroo Employer allowance query 224 7
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 403 9
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 193 6
- Enforcing A CCJ 341 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 93 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 163 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 286 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 119 2
- Director's tax return 380 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 169 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,109 34
- Flat rate vat 206 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 186 5
- Coming in from the cold 363 3
- Splitting the tax year 176 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 212 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 183 4
- Submitting tax return 212 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 273 8
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 811
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 559
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 428
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 310
- Free Tax Legislation? 283
- Director Loan account operation 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 251
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 171