Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 912 53
- Go Cardless 236 8
- business entertaining deductibility 92 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 756 17
- Self assessment tax arrears 87 2
- R & D 93 3
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 211 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 60 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 96 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 128 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 115 1
- New Business Registration 205 5
- Audit rules 131 3
- Hosted email exchange 117 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 134 1
- G P life time allowance 104 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 364 11
- Bringing money to Uk 206 3
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 121 1
- Accounting for investment club gains 106 2
- Xtuple 497
- Qtac payroll for bureau 332
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 276
- Industrial & Provident Societies 273
- Mehjoo 217
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 215
- New strategic report 168
- Domain name sale and limited company 154
- South African Government Pension 148
- CIS schemes 143