Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- ACCA - still making me laugh 401 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 225 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 286 11
- Tax return software for remote working 444 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 462 9
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 773 24
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 396 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 435 9
- How to purchase business premises? 118 2
- Will I need to resign? 781 10
- Childcare vouchers 133 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 266 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 294 6
- VAT avoidance? 202 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 173 3
- PAYE coding out 163 3
- Follower cases 569 2
- LIVE chat, starting now 450 2
- Late Registration for VAT 448 12
- TheTax Donut 1,142 1
- Hive up 466
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 431
- corporate hierarchy 413
- Advice - 241
- Amortisation of Goodwill 211
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 197
- WWOOFers 192
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 173
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 172
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 168