Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- Fees 249 2
- Time to ditch Sage? 238 3
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 373 12
- HMRC Post 520 7
- Transactions with directors 432 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 283 9
- Non VAT invoices 192 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 193 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,387 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 255 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 224 2
- Form 17 Download 149 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 560 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 381 4
- HMRC Information notice 994 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 279 3
- Accountant Specialization. 392 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,780 42
- Sage Line 50 178 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 203 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 761
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 365
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 210
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 185
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178