Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- BTC Software 86 4
- Sage reporting 24 1
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 469 12
- Taxfiler V's BTC 656 25
- Myfirmsapp 663 15
- Directors loan accounts 113 4
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 51 1
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,154 17
- New Practice 232 14
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 139 3
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 258 4
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 817 28
- Goods Purchased for Rental 538 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 101 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,996 25
- Valuation of business 315 5
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 171 7
- Dividend Payments 428 10
- I.d for vat registration 200 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 167 4
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,010
- International interest certificate 589
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 516
- NOVA 472
- Bonus Bonds 357
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 335
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 230
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 223
- Quickbooks 2015 152