Use of Discretionary Trust to mitigate CGT
The scenario: Husband & Wife own a house which they bought 10 years ago that they have never lived in. The house is currently let to their son. The parents wish to sell the house and pass the proceeds to their son.
As the parents are not entitled to any PPR relief the tax on the gains is going to be significant.
I have an idea in my head how to mitigate the tax but it seems too easy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Here goes'..parents transfer the house to a discretionary trust, the market value of the property is less than the IHT threshold and there has been no transfers in the last 7 years so no immediate charge to IHT. The parents elect to holdover the gain, i.e. the trust inherits the base cost of the asset, and nominates their son as the beneficiary.
After a period of time the trust passes ownership of the house to the son and again elects for holdover. The son sells the house as his PPR and incurs no CGT.
Problem, I feel the revenue could look at these as linked transactions designed to avoid tax and could overrule the use of the discretionary trusts and the holdover relief.
Should the house be held in the trust for a particular minimum period of time?
- General tax book with planning 132 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,180 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 266 11
- Gift of property & improvements 102 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 329 5
- VAT Invoice 116 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 794 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 117 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 199 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 164 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 136 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 435 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 360 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 246 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 177 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 157 4
- SA302's anyone?? 530 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,641 41
- Renting for military reasons 191 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 900
- International interest certificate 509
- NOVA 367
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 291
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 260
- tax on apprenticeship income 172
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 171
- P11D benefit received by widow 148