Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 183 4
- SA302 276 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 227 4
- Go Cardless 321 9
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 202 3
- Hmrc software 215 3
- Mehjoo 264 1
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 105 1
- Hosted email exchange 170 5
- South African Government Pension 178 1
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 162 3
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 279 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 305 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 241 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 147 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 281 7
- New Email Extensions 196 1
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 315 2
- Dental practice incorpration 154 1
- Audit rules 180 4
- Xtuple 508
- Qtac payroll for bureau 347
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 290
- Industrial & Provident Societies 282
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 224
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 172
- Domain name sale and limited company 167
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 165
- CIS schemes 160
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 141