Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 355 12
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,352 41
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 438 5
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 199 5
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 191 9
- VAT on motor expenses 911 33
- Introduction of Goodwill 233 6
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 121 2
- Sage 50 (2010) 130 3
- sole trader - operating under cis 102 2
- What does it mean?? 385 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 292 13
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 94 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,731 22
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 146 3
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 171 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 766 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 401 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 225 9
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 105 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,551
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 855
- International interest certificate 473
- NOVA 330
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 238
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 228
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 214
- Management expenses for investment company 212
- Bonus Bonds 209
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 196