Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Do I pay VAT back to employer for my training?? 80 4
- Company dividends 681 24
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,233 46
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 301 11
- White van man 902 27
- FYAs on second-hand vans 77 5
- VAT Margin Schemes 76 1
- Anybody received an Employer Payment Booklet for 2015-2016? 93 4
- Investment from Friend 269 11
- VAT registration transfer 58 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 195 7
- US-UK pension problem 141 3
- Limited Companies Merger 84 3
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 283 1
- Treatment of income for sole trader 320 3
- Serious help with shutting down company I started as a kid? 222 3
- Dividend amount for company where tax year doesnt go to 31st March 186 4
- UK LTD Company to start working in Norway 98 2
- How to value a business asset? 181 4
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 462 15
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 891
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 588
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 558
- Latest phishing scam 498
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 363
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 332
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 263
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 180
- Capital allowances in first basis period 168
- Sabbatical payments 162