Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 117 3
- Recycle old study books 409 11
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,318 231
- Being Tax relevant 395 5
- FIFA game and making money 149 6
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 137 3
- Client has never prepared tax returns 330 2
- Kind of shares to take in an LTD 114 2
- Tax investigation pending 1,397 8
- Trademark Fun 263 7
- CIS paid on behalf of a limited company 88 2
- Distribution on cessation of trade 230 4
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 163 1
- Changing font size in VT Transaction+ 227 6
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,545 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 238 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 196 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 721 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 243 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 205 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,064
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 345
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 292
- National Insurance 247
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 226
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 224
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 210
- Payments on account coded out?? 204
- Non Resident 166
- Franchise income and costs 155