Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 390 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 125 3
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 81 1
- Registered Office 138 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,478 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 311 5
- Partnership Registration 100 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 900 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 104 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 681 12
- Audit Required 1,182 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 303 9
- Residential Management Companies 86 2
- Value pricing 2,852 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 396 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 390 11
- Payroll software for Mac 119 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 113 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 215 5
- CIS and Close Company 207 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 944
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 660
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 397
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 331
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 259
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 250
- Paye procedures for CVA 249
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 195
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 192
- Pension Fixed Protection 187