Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- I do not love you 48 1
- Stamp Duty 324 5
- Love is in the air 677 8
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 730 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 839 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 374 5
- Paying Son 791 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 402 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 283 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,071 47
- Setting up a practice 614 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 598 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 544 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 468 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 247 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,860 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 440 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 608 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 601 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 449 4
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 298
- Foreign domicile status 298
- CGT for NOn UK residents 285
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 282
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 246
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 234
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 230