Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 113 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 455 13
- Coding Notice 220 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 233 6
- New business - journal entries 391 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 219 3
- Payroll software 638 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 254 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 389 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 724 18
- B2B vat in the EU 182 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 139 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 196 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 225 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 191 4
- LLP as member of LLP 134 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,825 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 501 7
- Vat 302 7
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,301 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 852
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 718
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 404
- Social investment tax relief 218
- Digita Hosted Software 212
- Call Centre Data Costs 199
- accounting for this transaction 184
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 171
- Travel costs and contractors 166
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 161