Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Processing RTI whilst on holiday 2,749 45
- Mathematical conundrum on loan repayments 447 5
- Resigning as only director 1,019 8
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 253 2
- Company Secretarial Software 1,225 26
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 145 10
- Loan interest rental property 90 2
- What's the plural? 478 10
- Opinions and advice needed 113 3
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 56 1
- Accounting Crew 556 12
- Complete business outside UK 50 1
- Builder - Roll over relief 329 15
- Goodwill receipt 302 7
- Sage training course 274 8
- Self Employed travel 279 6
- What should I charge for unlimited advice and support ? 410 9
- hourly rate for employee compared with freelancer 211 3
- Overdue VAT returns 282 6
- How often do you guys market your services. 724 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 564
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 420
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 321
- IFA incorporation 291
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 282
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 275
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 242
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 230
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 211
- Life assurance gains anomoly?? 196