Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- CGT history of shares 174 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 135 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 168 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 330 6
- CGT on sale of let property 109 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 174 2
- how do i get UTR 136 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 84 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 233 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 408 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 126 1
- Your comments please 314 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 188 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 122 2
- EIS 196 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 126 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 114 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 124 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 725 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 202 1
- Moving away from CCH software 966
- QROP pension input amounts 450
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 394
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 380
- fraud 303
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 277
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 243
- Construction CIS LLP Company 228
- EPS and CIS deductions 221
- Out of time or not? 207