Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Auto enrolment 162 2
- starting a ltd company with intangible assets 111 3
- Registration as self-employed 163 2
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 1,054 15
- Corporation Tax Software 407 12
- VAT on commision and connected persons 90 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 676 18
- How to end partnership for HMRC 108 1
- First year's sole trader accounts and 2014/2015 tax return 164 1
- Electric Vehicle company car battery rental - how is it taxed? 117 4
- Regular Director bonus 455 11
- Careers advice - is it worth moving from an SME to a corporate? 154 1
- BrightPay 1,100 35
- HMRC Summons for £14k 547 7
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 372 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,126 17
- BIK for an electric car 173 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,642 90
- How do I save face? 2,413 14
- Goodie bag 3,128 72
- Possible Partnership? 698
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 539
- Fuming! 523
- New Fangled Penalties 468
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 337
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 279
- Moving away from CCH software 268
- Outsource Data Entry 259
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 259
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 210