Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Is alcohol allowed within the £150 staff entertaining exemption? 796 8
- Companies house dissolved my company. What do I do now? 708 10
- Lorry Drivers 232 4
- Finally a winner from HMRC!!! 387 4
- Resubmit Corporation tax Return 41 1
- Undeclared rental income 885 10
- Income recognition - release of product from a factory 201 10
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 190 4
- Money laundering POCA 349 7
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 70 1
- Offering Cash Prizes to University Students 132 3
- client threatening legal action 1,977 29
- Incorporation Relief 172 3
- Auto-Enrolment 4,014 187
- Can I claim mileage? 321 6
- limited company for IR35 166 1
- Ir35 test 146 2
- payroll software 279 2
- Mexican student in UK 192 4
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 239 2
- Skandia using wrong address 514
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 285
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 282
- Employee rewards 268
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 241
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 230
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 229
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 216
- Etax Australian 176
- LLP in Construction Industry 128