Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- How much did you pay for your website 1,205 22
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 213 4
- Fastest Software 649 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 99 1
- Where did it go? 233 2
- cancellation of Engagement 131 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 85 1
- Feuding directors 243 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 99 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 488 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,898 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 609 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 230 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 94 1
- Benefit fraud 3,421 49
- SA Tax Returns 153 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 140 2
- Consolidated accounts 123 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,025 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- CTA study material 650
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 393
- Employment related securities question 246
- ATED Penalties 220
- AIM Stocks and IHT 200
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 168
- Trust for Employee 153
- Expat pension contributions? 149
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 134
- Capital allowances 122