Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Charity work 221 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 208 6
- Director Drawings 116 5
- Accounts Software 73 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,667 38
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 251 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 207 7
- HMRC Agents Line 174 3
- Collection or business assets 88 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 255 8
- Company Director In Prison 418 10
- Tax position re this lease? 366 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 713 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 97 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,663 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 86 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 342 5
- AWeb - download file 141 2
- pension paid by company? 331 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 757 17
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 512
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 201