Use of home as office - new rules
I have been reading with interest the new HMRC guidance in their business income manual for self employed use of home as office claims which are clearly far more generous than previously, especially the allowance for mortgage interest and other fixed home costs.
I also note that their employment income manual dealing with the same issue has not changed and is still quite strict in applying the £2 rule and no allowance for fixed costs such as mortgage etc.
Presumably there has been a court case recently which has forced HMRC to change their BIM for self employed. And presumably, HMRC don't want to apply the same relaxation to their EIM.
My question is this - regardless of the HMRC manual (which is not law anyway), is there scope to apply the recent changes to employees/directors or is there some restriction or distinction somewhere that means that it really does only apply to the self employed.
I would have thought that there should be no difference in what can be claimed if two people are doing the same thing, one a sole trader and the other a director of his own company, and therefore the new guidance should, in equality terms, apply to both types of operation, but I suspect HMRC have some technicality somewhere that says otherwise.
Any comments would be appreciated.
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 446 6
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 64 2
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 53 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 190 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 202 5
- are receipts needed? 210 7
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 457 27
- Sage 50 177 2
- New accountant 220 5
- sole trader - operating under cis 223 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,953 65
- Tax case refeence request 109 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 786 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 228 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,908 29
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 243 5
- Working out a daily rate 180 5
- Auto enrolment 1,248 13
- Payroll dates 143 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 288 8
- Skandia using wrong address 1,575
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 872
- International interest certificate 483
- NOVA 338
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 260
- Management expenses for investment company 230
- Bonus Bonds 229
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 228
- Help with tax codes on Sage 173
- Capital reduction 165