VAT and rental income
I have just read in my tax guide that "VAT covers many activities which would be regarded for income tax purposes as generating
investment income, for instance, the letting of property is regarded as a business for VAT purposes".
I am familiar with commercial property and waiving the land exemption, but I have to confess that I have always assumed that buy to
let rental income did not come within the VAT regime. Indeed, I have never come across anyone being VAT registered where their only
income was derived from residential lettings. Unfortunately, the tax guide does not differentiate between commercial lettings and
residential short term tenancies.
I have a client who has, over a period of several years, built up a portfolio of residential property that represents his only source of
income. Whilst he has yet to make a surplus in any year since he first started, he survives by selling a property every other year or so,
his gross rents are now well over the VAT registration threshold.
Even though the losses to date could well support an arguement that he is not in fact in business, is the tax guide correct, should he
register for VAT?
Many thanks to anyone able to clarify the position.
- How much detail should you put on CT600A 23 1
- Has this payroll data been created retrospectively? 292 3
- VAT - Check on clients business 967 40
- Can you use dividends to pay off interest charged on Directors Loan Accounts 57 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 76 1
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,620 26
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 593 23
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,165 38
- Autumn statement 69 2
- Sale of business assets 112 3
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 298 7
- Moneysoft error 495 8
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,729 40
- Auto Enrol with Salary exchange 133 2
- GRNI - Normal Balance 161 5
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 224 2
- Compare 2 lists 1,749 32
- Voluntary dissolution of company 215 1
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,362 25
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 187 1