Vat on Client Gifts of Alcolhol
What is the rule for reclaiming input vat on giving handover gifts of bottles of champagne when selling cars to the public. They are less than £50, but don't include any advertising or corporate logos etc.
As usual the Inland Revenue website is pretty useless, and I am getting conflicting messages from various other websites.
I believe that vat on alcohol for business entertaining cannot be reclaimed, but are gifts different?
Some are saying that alcohol is specifically excluded and you can't reclaim Vat, and some say that there is no exclusion.
Please what is rule and can you point to the specific bit of legislation.
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 71 1
- any implications of this type of transaction 43 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,680 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 95 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 282 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,029 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 262 7
- Sage data 102 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 422 9
- Limited company buying a car 361 6
- Funding Circle experience 153 3
- Excel query 116 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,292 13
- Payment on account penalties 127 3
- Tax on free shares 143 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 207 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 124 1
- Audit 489 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 127 3
- Buying a horse?? 428 12
- CTA study material 804
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 495
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 460
- Employment related securities question 322
- AIM Stocks and IHT 311
- Expat pension contributions? 281
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 280
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 232
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 161