Vat on Client Gifts of Alcolhol
What is the rule for reclaiming input vat on giving handover gifts of bottles of champagne when selling cars to the public. They are less than £50, but don't include any advertising or corporate logos etc.
As usual the Inland Revenue website is pretty useless, and I am getting conflicting messages from various other websites.
I believe that vat on alcohol for business entertaining cannot be reclaimed, but are gifts different?
Some are saying that alcohol is specifically excluded and you can't reclaim Vat, and some say that there is no exclusion.
Please what is rule and can you point to the specific bit of legislation.
- Goods Purchased for Rental 654 33
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 389 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 979 30
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 392 11
- Interflora florist 196 3
- Sole trader hid directorships. 44 1
- More HMRC on gov.uk 453 9
- VAT on finance leases 84 1
- Friendly Pensions 208 1
- Online Timesheet Facility 72 1
- Problem ex client...again.. 1,664 15
- Company Reorganisation 303 4
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 178 5
- CGT on second home? 252 4
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 220 8
- Double tax agreement - do you show income on UK return even if the DTA says it is taxed in the other country? 146 2
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 252 3
- Completing RP1 form in re Redundancy /Insolvency 250 8
- VAT in Sage 179 3
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 500 10
- NOVA 495
- Bonus Bonds 384
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 365
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 280
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 246
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 168
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 155
- Finance Lease 147
- Company Car Lease 146
- Form 42 133