VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- 40% rule for travel expenses 281 7
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,206 62
- capital gains on PPR 73 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,576 430
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 302 6
- Cash injection by shareholder 206 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 254 8
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 401 20
- 100% Xero practice 2,379 43
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 335 5
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 279 8
- PRR 315 12
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 208 3
- corp tax software 375 7
- Pension Contributions Relief 454 14
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 481 7
- Which tax box 203 2
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 169 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 286 3
- References for clients 250 2
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,300
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 468
- National Insurance 361
- Non Resident 287
- Franchise income and costs 258
- Hands on experience of Digita 212
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 174
- Employer's Helpline 160
- employment capital allowances 153
- CIS paid under reg 9 145