VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 117 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,040 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 367 4
- Setting up a practice 360 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 481 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 437 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 254 1
- Love is in the air 525 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 653 17
- Stamp Duty 294 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 238 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,801 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 574 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 250 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 262 9
- Client Paperwork Retention? 571 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 581 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 377 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 395 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 455 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 300
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 289
- CGT for NOn UK residents 280
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 276
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 254
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 240
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 225
- Capital Gains personal representatives 220
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 208