VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- Cash basis 750 28
- Please tell me what to do!! 135 4
- Company buy back of shares from directors 107 4
- 5th April 114 3
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 249 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,963 32
- Investor exit 223 4
- client threatening legal action 2,268 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 99 2
- Cash basis 100 4
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 206 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 333 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,555 23
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 537 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 325 9
- Rental income 128 2
- s455 Directors loan 183 3
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 70 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,183 8
- Non resident capital gains 93 1
- Skandia using wrong address 603
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 325
- Employee rewards 302
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 272
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 237
- Etax Australian 199
- LLP in Construction Industry 162
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 150
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 139
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 132