VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- Payroll experience for beginning AAT student 105 1
- Providing registered office address to clients 83 1
- Share premium or Directors Loan 758 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 391 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,438 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 181 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 466 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 134 3
- What would you do in this situation? 203 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 154 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 623 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 654 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 110 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 351 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 254 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 225 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 424 6
- NOVA 559 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 288 10
- Regional Development Grant 137 4
- Bonus Bonds 396
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 386
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 299
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 263
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 196
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 191
- Company Car Lease 166
- Finance Lease 161
- Form 42 154
- Demerger Reserve 134