VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 63 3
- Matching of tax return to P60 47 1
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,015 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,197 53
- Related Parties Note 119 3
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 767 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 193 7
- what time is it ? 313 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 89 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 434 24
- VAT on disbursement 168 2
- tax credits 215 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,046 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 89 1
- LLP - Member leaving 199 6
- Year end 268 3
- Foreign income for self employed 175 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 314 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 331 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,152 14
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 916
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 529
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 336
- How to format a stock book 324
- Tax efficient holding company structure 259
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 248
- Investment property company accounts template 234
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 198
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 186
- Charge out rates in London? 159