VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- Partnership tax rules 45 2
- LLP members share of profits 404 23
- Help car benefit 72 3
- VAT Option to tax 261 2
- Accountancy software for an imac 193 5
- Audit Required 1,019 21
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 369 1
- Total cost of employment 154 1
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 433 15
- Selling assets to yourself ? 39 1
- UIT4 REVENUE REC FRSSE 60 1
- Director's remuneration accrual 59 3
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 128 3
- SDLT on land 128 6
- Grants 210 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 470 8
- Value pricing 2,290 98
- Current tax asset 171 3
- Consortium relief and bad debts 58 1
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 95 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 884
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 617
- Free Tax Legislation? 366
- Director Loan account operation 363
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 318
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 304
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 287
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 274
- Paye procedures for CVA 206
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 186