VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- S455 424 20
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 79 2
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 741 29
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 989 27
- EIS Relief 143 1
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 148 1
- Gift or Capital Gain? 159 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 555 15
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 62 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 184 6
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 401 8
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 237 3
- Is this a scam? 1,400 25
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 223 5
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 152 4
- Wednesday rant 325 1
- RTI - new employee 76 1
- Profit split on buy-to let 313 5
- Overseas Sales 534 1
- Fax to email providers 394 14
- Benchmarking 462
- Possible Partnership? 408
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 397
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 378
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 319
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 189
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 172
- Income tax on foreign dividends 166
- Agent Registration - How Long? 164
- Clubs and Taxable Income 163