VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- Tricky VAT question 52 1
- Wrong career 344 15
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 80 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 191 6
- VT accounts licence key 188 5
- Weely paid employees 182 2
- Splitting the tax year 41 1
- FPS Submission 88 2
- PTP software disaster 163 1
- Value pricing 624 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 194 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 95 1
- vat return 205 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 150 3
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 57 1
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,954 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 152 3
- Director's tax return 135 2
- reporting salary? 244 5
- Other forums 203 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 781
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 534
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 404
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 286
- Free Tax Legislation? 240
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 230
- Director Loan account operation 223
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 216
- Paye procedures for CVA 154