VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- Cash in Hand 169 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 190 5
- are receipts needed? 635 17
- SA302's anyone?? 621 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 335 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 143 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 358 12
- Busines software 174 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 207 6
- Converting a barn for business use 189 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 320 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 325 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 495 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 332 3
- Bookkeping software 736 7
- Clogged Losses 287 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 284 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 670 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 279 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 133 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 522
- NOVA 373
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 335
- Management expenses for investment company 276
- Bonus Bonds 273
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 187
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 168
- P11D benefit received by widow 167
- EXACT ONLINE 166