VAT deregistration following TOGC - due within 30 days but late, is there likely to be a penalty?
My client, a sole trader, sold his business as a TOGC in December. He has held a VAT registration in his own name for many years and has operated two businesses through the same registration.
His plan was to deregister when he had finalised all the expenses for the business before the sale, on the basis that he was ceasing to make taxable supplies. I was finding the right form for him to complete when I noticed the fact that he should have notified compulsory deregistration within 30 days of the sale. The guidance states "You should be aware that if you fail to notify us of any changes affecting your registration details within 30 days of them occurring, you may become liable to a financial penalty"
It is now approx 70-80 days after the sale. When he completes the form it will trigger deregistration at the date of sale. He has already completed a VAT return to the end of January and expects to have no more expenses apart from my fees which I understand he would be able to reclaim via VAT 427 Claim for input tax relief from VAT on cancellation of registration.
The questions are
1. Is the client likely to be fined for late notification? If so, any idea how much?
2. What happens to the VAT return to end of January already completed if VAt deregistration is dated in December (all items on VAT return relate in some way to closing down the business and final payments in respect of expenses incurred before the end of trading)
3. What is the best way to handle this without me looking silly or the client getting into trouble? (I am not offically VAT agent as he has always done his own returns.)
Thank you for your help
- Growing pains 344 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 223 14
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 533 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 36 1
- Consequential loss claim 101 3
- Residents Association Corp Tax 181 5
- Vat threshold issues 51 1
- ATT Annual Return Problems 110 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 97 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 324 5
- private to company car? 165 4
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 941 34
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 575 10
- Buy to let allowable interest 128 2
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 207 1
- Partner with an IVA 161 5
- Your fondest calculator memories 577 26
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 412 11
- Has been asked before but help needed 297 7
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 228 6
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 455
- CTA study material 415
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 300
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 279
- Pre incorp expenses 270
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 240
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 231
- Slight twist on employment related securities 207
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 180
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 176