VAT "Enabling Letters" and unannounced visits.
A few weeks ago one of my clients, a publican, received the VAT equivalent of an "enabling letter". He has just phoned to say that last week two VATmen came stomping around with their jackboots to take a look at his till procedures.
Fortunately he was on holiday at the time, so they are returning tomorrow morning.
Have gone through in detail with my client the difference between their powers of "inspection" as opposed to "search", and advised him to be careful what he says and not to be frightened to say "I don't know"!!!
However, it seems that they are solely interested in my client's till and his procedures for recording his takings!!
Anyone else experienced this new tactic by these VATmen? (Maybe it's not so new, but none of my clients have had this before, and it is most unusual, particularly as he had a VAT inspection last year and passed with flying colours. Well, he would, I maintain his records ;-))
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 129 6
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 547 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 241 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 83 1
- Tax Return Deadlines 159 3
- Foreign income for self employed 101 1
- tax credits 52 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 438 18
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 54 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 594 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 40 2
- Who owns SAGE Data? 481 10
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 193 1
- EC VAT 222 10
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 214 7
- Musician deductible expenses 88 1
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 97 1
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 280 8
- Flat rate vat error 342 7
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 544 13
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 849
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 510
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 323
- How to format a stock book 296
- Tax efficient holding company structure 235
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 231
- Investment property company accounts template 221
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 215
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 182
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 153