VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 1,618 23
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 81 6
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 70 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 234 6
- Companies House 281 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 95 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 96 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 325 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 105 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 208 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 663 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 649 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 136 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 667 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 483 5
- SA tax assessments 166 2
- Director self assessment 405 16
- Sage Import Data 177 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 240 2
- Dividend Vouchers 285 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 431
- CTA study material 391
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 288
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 268
- Pre incorp expenses 242
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 217
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 211
- Slight twist on employment related securities 196
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 143
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 141