VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Childcare vouchers 355 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 52 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 58 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 47 1
- two business from one premises 173 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 38 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 396 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 322 4
- Merry Christmas 105 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 79 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,079 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 414 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,427 9
- Using home as clients registered address 153 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 541 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 117 2
- How much does the company pay 722 30
- AIA 293 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 183 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 506
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 274
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 243
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 219
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177