VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Dress code 1,194 27
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 682 9
- carry back of gift aid 52 1
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 679 18
- Scottish Independance 447 13
- How to complain about HMRC 932 12
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 324 8
- VAT Flat rate scheme for property management company 73 2
- NOMINAL CODES 310 4
- Do HMRC automatically close inactive PAYE schemes? 166 2
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 702 5
- VAT on goods never entered the UK 278 9
- Interest relief before property is rented out 226 4
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 368 7
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 422 9
- Sharing of Fixed Assets 102 1
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 248 1
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 334 12
- How much did you pay for your website 1,606 27
- Dividend 440 6
- CTA study material 746
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 460
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 340
- Employment related securities question 298
- AIM Stocks and IHT 273
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 244
- Expat pension contributions? 236
- Trust for Employee 226
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 140
- Wind Turbine - Company or not? 130