VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 1,957 9
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 118 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 468 5
- flat rate scheme 149 3
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 162 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 83 1
- VAT refund 316 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,284 37
- Turnover on a tax return 548 12
- incorrect old p60 563 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 126 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 182 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 156 1
- Special dividends & CGT 204 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 201 1
- Networking 368 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 279 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 306 4
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 339 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 297 2