VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Cash gift from India 178 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,755 39
- Windows10 226 5
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,850 43
- Probate services 437 10
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 107 1
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 271 4
- Accounting for corporation tax 304 8
- Sole trader registering for the first time 348 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,012 18
- Creative Auto Enrolment 589 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 888 15
- Can an owner hold company money 342 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 341 17
- Class 2 NIC 311 5
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 411 7
- Vat payable on van 199 1
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 247 7
- Community Faux Pas 938 26
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,323 40