VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Entrepreneurs Relief 681 33
- More AE! 601 13
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 446 6
- Scanners 34 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,041 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 87 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 237 4
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 99 3
- Invoice dispute 554 5
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 239 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 404 9
- Property inheritance by overseas resident 82 1
- 2013-14 Tax Return-Transparent Benchmarks? 105 1
- IHT dilemma 1,317 20
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,045 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 214 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 168 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 210 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 324 3
- Aweb tracking ... 288 3
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,134
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 789
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 474
- Digita Hosted Software 313
- Credit where credit's due....... 252
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 217
- Director phone costs 208
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 180
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 156
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 143