VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Classic cars investment 361 11
- National Insurance Contributions 134 2
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 198 4
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,082 27
- Lack of Quickbooks Online Coverage 256 4
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 526 13
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 865 23
- break even point 696 20
- Asset holding company 272 6
- How much to charge? 466 7
- VAT GUIDE - 22-25 AGENTS OR EQUIVALENT 321 6
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 288 1
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 3,040 36
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 863 8
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 239 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 453 13
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 669 9
- HMRC - Sage Backup 274 5
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,196 29
- BrightPay 754 23
- Possible Partnership? 481
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 453
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 449
- New Fangled Penalties 263
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 246
- Clubs and Taxable Income 237
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 234
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 223
- Loans to other companies 180
- Tasbook email configuration 168