VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Please for the love of god can anyone clear this up for me accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there....accountants need to help other accountants out :) 324 15
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 554 17
- Invoice or journal for inter-company transactions 64 1
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 37 3
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 266 8
- Tax Return Deadlines 116 2
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 528 11
- Flat rate vat error 327 7
- EC VAT 212 9
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 526 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 288 14
- can I claim a per diem 265 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 137 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,378 8
- VAT on part of a closed pub 246 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 100 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 295 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 536 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 862 19
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 165 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 838
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 507
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 318
- How to format a stock book 287
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 229
- Tax efficient holding company structure 229
- Investment property company accounts template 219
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 211
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 181
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 181