VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- VAT invoice 175 5
- Received a CIS invoice 237 8
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 180 8
- Fee protection 1,069 24
- Accounting for software development costs 234 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 225 7
- How to print invoice payment history Sage 50 Pro 29 1
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 399 5
- Anyone done ATT? 214 5
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 313 4
- Warranties - Fixed Assets - depreciation 72 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,634 54
- Bereavment payment 336 4
- indexation factors 72 2
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,633 13
- LLP Salaried Partners 132 1
- claim fees with out without VAT? 133 2
- Vat on motor repairs 139 3
- saturday staff 349 3
- Free accounts system for small business? 260 5
- Xtuple 575
- Qtac payroll for bureau 403
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 350
- Domain name sale and limited company 249
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 238
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 221
- Tax on damages received 202
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 194
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 162
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 160