VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Before 2015 budget did dividend income impact on savings tax rate up to 2014-2015? 385 11
- R&D tax credits 126 6
- Tax-free savings and "taxable income" 2,997 57
- Client's company struck off 2,244 27
- Sale of land at an undervalue in return for an income stream? 29 2
- sage 217 5
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 293 7
- Sage Payroll 263 5
- Pre trading expenditure 74 1
- Reverse charge on services between UK and IE 115 2
- Double entry 280 6
- ATED on a hotel that isn't in use? 137 2
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 1,181 18
- Trust income, R185 form 104 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 788 12
- Improvements to leasehold property and Capital Allowances 88 2
- Annual Report - How to? 515 25
- Outsourcing Payroll 245 3
- CIS Set off 98 1
- 15% restirction on lease cars 204 3
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 548
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 306
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 301
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 272
- Overdrawn director account 230
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 206
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 205