VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Was I rude 697 18
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 68 2
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 141 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 125 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 271 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 179 1
- Top slicing relief question 213 2
- Valuation of PET on death 84 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 227 6
- Share swap 277 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 72 1
- Online filing 131 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 322 13
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,670 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 96 2
- Converting a barn for business use 84 1
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 225 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 108 2
- Joint rental income 114 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 330 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 803
- Any views 723
- International interest certificate 442
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 412
- Sale of business 384
- NOVA 278
- IRIS Open Books problem 277
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 193
- Expenses claim for non employee 182