VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- signature required 440 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 489 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 157 5
- Settlement discount 51 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 85 5
- CT600 39 1
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 151 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 91 2
- Pratice Management Software 46 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 190 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 108 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 178 2
- Homing sandwiches 370 9
- Related Party Transactions 103 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 84 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 461 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 754 13
- More AE! 758 17
- Web sites 242 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 605 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,230
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 511
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 307
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 234
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 187
- TheTax Donut 173
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 156
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 155