VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Telephone call from "Xero" 414 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 111 3
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,171 46
- dividend 147 10
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 112 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 251 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 170 3
- Irish Taxation 140 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 307 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 512 6
- Drector renting room to company 94 1
- Off site storage 151 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 599 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 249 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 349 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 237 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 329 4
- Self assesment losses 323 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 175 3
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 189 1
- Xtuple 565
- Qtac payroll for bureau 387
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 342
- Domain name sale and limited company 232
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 211
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 209
- Investment 205
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 181
- Tax on damages received 180
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 151