VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Little Green Man needs help HGV driver LTD company 98 1
- Double entry 195 6
- Annual Report - How to? 360 12
- FBI2 207 4
- NO SUCH THING AS UNQUALIED ACCOUNTANT 202 3
- Companies House 167 4
- Interprise software 89 1
- TAX, VAT and non-UK residence 510 19
- Charity accounting 264 6
- Outsourcing Payroll 118 1
- sage 120 3
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 156 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 1,063 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 220 4
- Small house in garden 158 1
- THE PUBLIC SECTOR SUCKS 180 2
- Clients 926 18
- can a dormant company make an employer pension contribution? 297 12
- Manually amending PAYE Code Number in HMRC Basic PAYE Tools 155 5
- Accountants not providing all required information 289 4
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 541
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 471
- EPS and CIS deductions 330
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 312
- Construction CIS LLP Company 303
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 298
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 264
- Overdrawn director account 220
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 205
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 202