VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 678 18
- Sage Priority Support 79 1
- incorrect old p60 93 1
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 473 4
- VAT on new builds 104 2
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 341 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 116 1
- Pensions Auto-Enrolment when no computer/internet access 105 1
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 122 1
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,818 26
- Missing tax return 159 2
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 917 24
- CG on Spanish property disposal 273 8
- SSAS Pension scheme 155 2
- Quick Income tax calculation question! 551 18
- Physiotherapy 236 3
- Inflation and fees 1,214 20
- Capital allowances not claimed 158 3
- Changing shareholding ratio 277 8
- CGT help please 142 1