VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- EC VAT 195 8
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 499 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 277 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 519 16
- can I claim a per diem 239 5
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 131 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,361 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 235 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 235 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 63 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 271 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 525 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 828 19
- Flat rate vat error 301 6
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 150 3
- Linux Accounting Software 559 13
- RTI due -no broadband 153 1
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 105 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 120 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 907 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 822
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 225
- Tax efficient holding company structure 219
- Investment property company accounts template 216
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 208
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177