VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- inheritance tax 64 2
- Pay in Lieu of notice 117 4
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 56 1
- Capital payments offshore trust 62 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 94 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,170 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 93 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 178 1
- Deduction from Salary 468 11
- Doctor and Locum Work 155 2
- State pension 145 1
- NALS Accountants Report 290 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 259 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,132 40
- CIC Company 618 11
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 280 6
- This is getting boring 485 10
- 27,000 Really? 760 24
- VAT on printing when being a third party 111 2
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 208 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 632
- Cancelled 377
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 349
- Cancelled 323
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 298
- Probiz 288
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 257
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 246
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 215
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 193