VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 580 19
- Do we have to register for VAT? 364 7
- Unbelievable!! 677 5
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 369 1
- Reclaiming VAT on unpaid invoices 31 1
- Receipt bank 267 6
- blank - ignore 430 7
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 43 1
- Close Ltd and be taxed as a sole trader 60 1
- foreign income 153 3
- New client forgot to take stock count at the year end 168 5
- Company Van taxable benefit 107 3
- Non resident income. 362 18
- White van man 790 26
- Should i tell HMRC 1,246 12
- How to value a business asset? 106 4
- Companies House praise 167 1
- EIS reinvestment relief 164 12
- Identity check problem 1,121 11
- Declaration of interest 119 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 869
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 566
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 531
- Latest phishing scam 454
- Entrepreneurs' relief 407
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 334
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 316
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 236
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 215
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 157