VAT Flate Rate Scheme
Have a contractor client who was on the flat rate scheme for VAT.
One of those clients who does things without asking and we rarely hear from him other then for the year end accounts prep.
On preparing the accounts, it appeared that for a large part of the year he was working for (and billing) a US company, zero rating the invoices. He had been sending in nil VAT returns.
The VAT owed is around 10k.
Informed client that he had been declaring the wrong amounts on his VAT return and that he was still liable to the FRS % on his zero rated invoices, despite the fact that he was not actually charging VAT.
Client informed that he had requested with HMRC to come off the FRS as soon as he started working for the US co.
When asked for HMRC confirmation he said that he can't find it but 'thinks' he received it.
I am not convinced that the client did inform HMRC and my question is if he didn't can this be done retrospectively or will he be liable for the full amount of VAT owed under the FRS?
- How much to charge? 653 10
- break even point 978 30
- PAYE NI 49 1
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 51 1
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 142 5
- Accomodation and travel 186 1
- Unpaid Fee's 289 6
- Issue with a software supplier 177 4
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 204 6
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 276 5
- Limited Company trading status. 224 6
- VAT flat rate scheme 91 1
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,591 29
- Alphabet shares dividend paperwork 132 2
- Aquisition Value 116 3
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 377 8
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 428 12
- Dividends 284 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 800 13
- Collecting cash on behalf of another business 173 4
- Possible Partnership? 507
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 486
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 463
- New Fangled Penalties 302
- Clubs and Taxable Income 255
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 254
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 244
- Loans to other companies 190
- Tasbook email configuration 180
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 163