VAT on Foreign Currency Invoices within the UK
A client receives and pays invoices in various currencies from suppliers within the UK.
The VAT guide (VAT700) makes it clear that the suppliers must show the sterling equivalents of the Net and VAT amounts on the VAT invoice.
What is apparently not mentioned is what the customer should do.
Does the customer need to record the sterling Net and VAT amounts from the invoice and use these on the VAT return? Or can he convert the currency amounts into sterling using the exchange rates that he uses for accounting purposes (provided that these comply with the provisions for acceptable currency conversion methods as detailed in VAT700)?
Having to record the VAT amounts separately in Sterling seems slightly onerous - is it really necessary? I have found one reference dating back to 1999 in VAT Notice 920 Para 2.2 to the need to do this for Euro invoices. Does this still apply? Is there a similar requirement for invoices in other currencies?
Any help on this would be much appreciated.
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 174 4
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 44 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 38 2
- Quickbooks expert needed 118 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,382 58
- Aggressive HMRC 1,154 14
- Charity reserves 50 1
- Have i messed up? 379 7
- Related Parties Note 287 6
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 333 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,324 16
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 468 26
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 244 1
- End of the party for dividends? 1,232 18
- How to format a stock book 366 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,373 31
- Disposal of property 99 2
- Tax liability of sole trader changing to partnership 130 1
- Website - Any guess on their business ... 243 2
- trading or dormant 204 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 969
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 538
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 350
- Tax efficient holding company structure 276
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 260
- Investment property company accounts template 242
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 188
- Personal consumption by landlord 165
- Interest on Loan to a Company 157