VAT Issues with a recent order and company
‘If a business charges you VAT it must be VAT registered and must declare any VAT it charges to HMRC.’‘Some businesses deliberately avoid registering for VAT, thereby gaining an unfair advantage over their competitors. Others may either be bogus or may lie about the amount of VAT that they owe.’‘If a bill shows a separate amount for VAT, it must also show the nine-digit VAT registration number of the business. To check whether a VAT registration number is valid you can phone the HMRC National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000, open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.’
I wondered if anyone can help answer a question for me.
I made a purchase for a particular item that I found cheapest on the net by far. After purchasing and paying for item I received no invoice, receipt as such only acknowledgment of order, reference number and payment amount. I know I could class this infomration as a receipt but for interest but it was online only no email. (I had to print web page fo rmy records).
I have since emailed that address given on website and asked for a valid VAT invoice relating to my order, giving them the order reference and also a copy of the page printed from the internet.
Since then I have received an email stating that they are not willing to give me any form of invoice/receipt showing their VAT details as they only sell to consumers and not businesses!!!!!. There web page print out clearly shows NEt Value, VAT Applicable Amount, Gross Total and Postage Costs.
All in all the cost was only £6.89 but that isn't the point. I know I don't need a full VAT breakdown because of the small amount but I do need valiud VAT details for ocmpany in order to include it on forth coming VAT return.
They have since replied and infomed me that they are not in their rights to divulge any said information in order to protect their company.
I forwarded the below taken form HMRC
‘If a business charges you VAT it must be VAT registered and must declare any VAT it charges to HMRC.’
‘Some businesses deliberately avoid registering for VAT, thereby gaining an unfair advantage over their competitors. Others may either be bogus or may lie about the amount of VAT that they owe.’
‘If a bill shows a separate amount for VAT, it must also show the nine-digit VAT registration number of the business. To check whether a VAT registration number is valid you can phone the HMRC National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000, open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.’
They have now asked I write a full reason as twhy I require their details (VAT), in which reply was it was business purchase and to reclaim VAT adn they then sent me copies of their posted terms and conditions as shown below
Your contract for purchases made through this web site is with xxxxxxx, and you undertake that any and all goods ordered by you are for your own private and domestic use only.
As I am VAt registred and as original order confirmation and print out clearly shows VAT am I right in asking for VAT details or not?
My feeling is that they aren't as legite as one would expect them to be, especially when not willing to divulge information that should be available to anyone that asks.
Thanks in advance
- Car benefit or not? 2,424 23
- Best Auto Enrollment Provider for clients DIY 124 5
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 447 7
- RTI Basic tools save function 77 1
- Large director's pension contribution 496 6
- Charge for tax returns 414 10
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,629 19
- Company car and the new dividend tax rules 71 1
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 674 9
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 597 13
- Support / ticketing software 178 8
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 420 8
- Transfering bank balnces between old and new co. 428 11
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 293 9
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 235 6
- interest in client bank account 179 3
- Childcare voucher scheme for a director earning the minimum amount 273 13
- Landlord expenses incurred looking for new properties 335 6
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 611 14
- Company Number 10000000 889 11
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 780
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 280
- DTA tie-breaker issue 273
- CGT for NOn UK residents 236
- Apprenticeship Levy 211
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 202
- Just checking re PSA 187
- Capital Gains personal representatives 186
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 181