VAT Issues with a recent order and company
‘If a business charges you VAT it must be VAT registered and must declare any VAT it charges to HMRC.’‘Some businesses deliberately avoid registering for VAT, thereby gaining an unfair advantage over their competitors. Others may either be bogus or may lie about the amount of VAT that they owe.’‘If a bill shows a separate amount for VAT, it must also show the nine-digit VAT registration number of the business. To check whether a VAT registration number is valid you can phone the HMRC National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000, open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.’
I wondered if anyone can help answer a question for me.
I made a purchase for a particular item that I found cheapest on the net by far. After purchasing and paying for item I received no invoice, receipt as such only acknowledgment of order, reference number and payment amount. I know I could class this infomration as a receipt but for interest but it was online only no email. (I had to print web page fo rmy records).
I have since emailed that address given on website and asked for a valid VAT invoice relating to my order, giving them the order reference and also a copy of the page printed from the internet.
Since then I have received an email stating that they are not willing to give me any form of invoice/receipt showing their VAT details as they only sell to consumers and not businesses!!!!!. There web page print out clearly shows NEt Value, VAT Applicable Amount, Gross Total and Postage Costs.
All in all the cost was only £6.89 but that isn't the point. I know I don't need a full VAT breakdown because of the small amount but I do need valiud VAT details for ocmpany in order to include it on forth coming VAT return.
They have since replied and infomed me that they are not in their rights to divulge any said information in order to protect their company.
I forwarded the below taken form HMRC
‘If a business charges you VAT it must be VAT registered and must declare any VAT it charges to HMRC.’
‘Some businesses deliberately avoid registering for VAT, thereby gaining an unfair advantage over their competitors. Others may either be bogus or may lie about the amount of VAT that they owe.’
‘If a bill shows a separate amount for VAT, it must also show the nine-digit VAT registration number of the business. To check whether a VAT registration number is valid you can phone the HMRC National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000, open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.’
They have now asked I write a full reason as twhy I require their details (VAT), in which reply was it was business purchase and to reclaim VAT adn they then sent me copies of their posted terms and conditions as shown below
Your contract for purchases made through this web site is with xxxxxxx, and you undertake that any and all goods ordered by you are for your own private and domestic use only.
As I am VAt registred and as original order confirmation and print out clearly shows VAT am I right in asking for VAT details or not?
My feeling is that they aren't as legite as one would expect them to be, especially when not willing to divulge information that should be available to anyone that asks.
Thanks in advance
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 184 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 135 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 122 2
- You know its over 240 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 167 3
- Cocaine anyone? 463 8
- Late Registration for VAT 472 13
- EIS/SEIS 132 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 260 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 401 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 399 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 674 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 536 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 564 4
- Personal pension 392 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 216 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,202 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 901 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 142 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,516 22
- Hive up 484
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 448
- corporate hierarchy 430
- Advice - 267
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 219
- WWOOFers 214
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 202
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 191
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 171
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 169