VAT on rent
My client is renting a yard from a third party. VAT has been added to the invoices, but when queried, the landlord has no idea whether there has been an option to tax on the land or not. As it is a yard with a few outbuildings on it rather than an office building, I am sceptical, although I am no expert on VAT and land.
I have advised the client that if he is charged VAT when he shouldn't be, HMRC could disallow it and demand he repays it to them. It would then be up to him to recover the incorrectly charged VAT from the landlord. This could clearly be riddled with problems and cost my client a large amount.
Does anyone have any ideas about how best to proceed? The landlord's attitude is "if in doubt, add VAT" and he won't budge. Can we check whether VAT should be applied to rent of this land anywhere?
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 112 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 468 5
- flat rate scheme 140 3
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 162 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 78 1
- VAT refund 312 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,283 37
- Turnover on a tax return 546 12
- incorrect old p60 563 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 119 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 182 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 151 1
- Special dividends & CGT 203 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 194 1
- Networking 365 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 279 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 305 4
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 337 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 297 2
- IT Contractor 286 1