VAT on rent
My client is renting a yard from a third party. VAT has been added to the invoices, but when queried, the landlord has no idea whether there has been an option to tax on the land or not. As it is a yard with a few outbuildings on it rather than an office building, I am sceptical, although I am no expert on VAT and land.
I have advised the client that if he is charged VAT when he shouldn't be, HMRC could disallow it and demand he repays it to them. It would then be up to him to recover the incorrectly charged VAT from the landlord. This could clearly be riddled with problems and cost my client a large amount.
Does anyone have any ideas about how best to proceed? The landlord's attitude is "if in doubt, add VAT" and he won't budge. Can we check whether VAT should be applied to rent of this land anywhere?
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 728 20
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 297 7
- CGT and primary residence 114 1
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 411 10
- Marriage Allowance 203 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,093 12
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 358 4
- S455 and February year ends 263 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,248 32
- HMRC having technical difficulties 828 18
- Closing down loss-making company 423 5
- S.455 Tax again 272 3
- New Build 328 2
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 371 4
- Mortgage Reference 779 10
- RTI offline? 187 1
- Right To Manage Company 278 4
- Day allowance working in Qatar 170 1
- Giving shares away 336 6
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 635 5