VAT on Services to Foreign Companies
In 1997 Rimsco Ltd. set up what we believe was the first Internet Service Bureau for Integrated Ledgers.
Due to the prohibitive cost associated with putting servers on the Internet in the UK (BT leased lines,etc.) at that time (and still very high now!), we utilise servers on server-farms in the USA.
We have now been approached by a middle-east based group of companies operating in several African states to use our service, which is multi-lingual/multi-currency, based on a common group currency of $dollars but using local currencies in each country. Our competition for this business is mainly US-based, and we are generally 10-15% cheaper than they are.
Now, our FD believes that we will have to charge VAT on invoices to the group. The rest of us are aghast, along the lines of "Charge VAT on use of American servers by a non-EU user in other non-EU countries! I don't believe it!". The company in question don't want to know about VAT, it is just a charge to them and it makes our service more expensive than the competition instead of cheaper.
Before we get embroiled with the VAT people for a ruling, we would be very interested in your members' comments.
R. M. Smith
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 692 21
- Year end 185 3
- tax credits 166 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 975 16
- Foreign income for self employed 145 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 266 9
- LLP - Member leaving 159 6
- what time is it ? 117 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 273 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,070 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 231 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 583 21
- How would you account for warranty? 165 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 406 22
- Sweet Tooth 204 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 185 2
- trading or dormant 126 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 138 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 576 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 280 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 881
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 519
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 313
- Tax efficient holding company structure 247
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 243
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 220
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 169