VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 558 9
- Payment on account penalties 142 4
- How much did you pay for your website 1,700 29
- any implications of this type of transaction 71 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 30 1
- Does IR35 apply? 94 1
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 113 1
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 105 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 294 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,036 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 269 7
- Sage data 110 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 424 9
- Limited company buying a car 365 6
- Funding Circle experience 164 3
- Excel query 131 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,303 13
- Tax on free shares 156 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 212 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 132 1
- CTA study material 809
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 499
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 462
- Employment related securities question 326
- AIM Stocks and IHT 313
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 285
- Expat pension contributions? 284
- Trust for Employee 258
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 240
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 162