VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Tax relief for networking day out? 476 13
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 651 20
- Property Expenses 165 5
- Generic notification message 232 5
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 776 38
- Swiching tax 470 14
- Accrued salary unpaid 225 4
- Mortgage Adviser's request 314 7
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,149 18
- Basis periods 53 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 70 2
- CGT on spouse's death 289 11
- VAT on non-denominated postage 74 2
- Starting Again 287 11
- CT101 Completion 135 1
- Non resident pension withdrawal 150 2
- P11D Software 782 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 205 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 274 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 400 10
- Construction CIS LLP Company 597
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 583
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 384
- Pensions Regulator 349
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 285
- Using the correct forms 263
- SA penalty proposals 254
- RTI - duplicate employee record 245
- Accelerated payment notices 230
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 221