VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Clothing 569 18
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 279 12
- Digita in the cloud 22 1
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 208 7
- IHT and US resident 120 2
- Tax relief when working away 32 1
- Parent and subsidiary... 143 5
- Anybody still doing returns? 795 33
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 199 8
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,236 17
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 362 16
- Designated sole Residence 166 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 741 15
- Anyone know what this is? 304 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 928 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 556 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 283 9
- no utr 313 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,145 49
- Director drawings 614 32
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 956
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 625
- Latest phishing scam 604
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 440
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 328
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 258
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 199