VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- VAT flat rate scheme 13 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 263 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 64 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,435 21
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 81 1
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 83 2
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,042 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 383 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 125 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 191 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 114 1
- FPS or EPS 134 2
- Continuity of Practice 189 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 122 2
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 312 10
- Scams are not always obvious 2,208 34
- Financial statements accounting policies 245 5
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 161 3
- Market Value/Connected Persons 298 10
- Online Downtime 337 4
- Moving away from CCH software 948
- QROP pension input amounts 437
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 380
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 355
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 323
- fraud 283
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 252
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 223
- Construction CIS LLP Company 210
- EPS and CIS deductions 197