VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,658 38
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 276 6
- Tax implication on superannuation 177 3
- What's the Barmiest Reason A Client gave you for going? 2,549 25
- GRNI - Normal Balance 64 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief, and then new company 203 3
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 218 8
- Tax Fines - HMRC 811 13
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 87 2
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,294 24
- VAT - Check on clients business 907 37
- Second Limited Company 114 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 491 10
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 290 8
- Probate services 367 7
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 490 20
- trading losses allowable? 757 14
- Post AAT? 686 3
- Small amount of untaxed royalties for someone outside SA 138 1
- Treatment of valuation fee for IHT. 194 2