VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- How much did you pay for your website 1,207 22
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 214 4
- Fastest Software 652 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 108 1
- Where did it go? 243 2
- cancellation of Engagement 141 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 86 1
- Feuding directors 247 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 103 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 494 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,900 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 609 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 236 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 101 1
- Benefit fraud 3,422 49
- SA Tax Returns 154 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 147 2
- Consolidated accounts 129 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,025 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- CTA study material 651
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 394
- Employment related securities question 247
- ATED Penalties 221
- AIM Stocks and IHT 200
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 171
- Trust for Employee 155
- Expat pension contributions? 150
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 135
- Capital allowances 123