VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 448 6
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 65 2
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 54 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 190 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 203 5
- are receipts needed? 212 7
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 457 27
- Sage 50 181 2
- New accountant 223 5
- sole trader - operating under cis 224 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,954 65
- Tax case refeence request 109 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 786 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 228 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,908 29
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 243 5
- Working out a daily rate 181 5
- Auto enrolment 1,250 13
- Payroll dates 143 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 288 8
- Skandia using wrong address 1,575
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 872
- International interest certificate 483
- NOVA 338
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 260
- Management expenses for investment company 230
- Bonus Bonds 229
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 228
- Help with tax codes on Sage 173
- Capital reduction 165