VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Lack of VAT Receipt 36 1
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 240 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 115 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 174 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 174 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 820 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 535 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 694 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 302 16
- Personal pension 435 9
- Business rates consultancy 265 4
- Wrong tax code 178 6
- Benefit in Kind 258 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 90 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 290 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,058 31
- Deferred Tax 474 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 207 1
- You know its over 494 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 247 1
- Hive up 512
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 296
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 238
- WWOOFers 233
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 194
- The booking.com con 173
- UK State pension paid in NZ 165