VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Altered PAYE cheque 341 8
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 320 9
- Write off of former director's loan 639 10
- Added years superannuation 95 3
- RTI 249 6
- Contingent Asset Disclosure 22 1
- RTI Easement Until 2016 43 1
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 102 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 782 19
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 315 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,056 64
- Sole trader - bank statements 224 13
- Am i Liable? 532 14
- Childcare vouchers 79 1
- Late registration for VAT 84 1
- Experienced Mentor 118 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 881 14
- which software to use? 307 6
- overdrawn directors loan account 180 4
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 272 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,251
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 616
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 413
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 322
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 225
- Alphabet shares 204
- Agent fees to sell business 195
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 192
- Office recharges 157
- Tax position on lease extension 145