VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 275 4
- Goodie bag 527 19
- Husband Wife let property 217 6
- Budget 2015 predictions 310 7
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 301 7
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 30 1
- Freehold Property Depreciation 388 16
- How do I save face? 309 7
- Employee invoicing employer 45 1
- Warning - Spam "from" ICAEW 513 3
- brightpay? 116 1
- Director unable to work through illness 127 1
- Amending supplier account code in Sage 50 230 6
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 372 8
- Tennants in Common - Changing % Share 140 2
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 276 1
- Claiming VAT without invoice 411 5
- Directors loan - no longer a director 397 5
- Career in Practice 234 5
- NHS PENSIONS XFER ABROAD 97 2
- Possible Partnership? 615
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 504
- New Fangled Penalties 419
- Clubs and Taxable Income 339
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 308
- Loans to other companies 250
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 223
- Outsource Data Entry 218
- Fuming! 213