VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Capital Gains Tax 188 5
- Fixed Assets 12 1
- Consolidating the P+L for an overseas subsidiary 26 1
- Well well well 402 6
- Accounting Crew 1,031 24
- VAT charge needed on van sale? 155 3
- Dividend payment date 1,949 35
- Clarification over - VAT Box 8 - Flat rate scheme 194 6
- Proceeds of Overseas Property Sale - Any Tax Implications 174 6
- Preference shares redeemed at less than par 170 11
- Errors in prior year accounts 200 5
- Director salary from company limited by guarantee 210 7
- Any point writing to HMRC to appeal against self assessment penalties ? 223 9
- PDF to QIF (or other)? 498 13
- Company Secretarial Software 1,315 28
- LLP and LTD Co 105 3
- Dissolution of a LLP with ongoing HMRC Inquiry 113 1
- Real names 634 21
- Taxfiler - is it really good? 304 9
- CGT on Sale of shop 97 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 571
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 439
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 339
- IFA incorporation 320
- Mortgage interest claim on Buy to let hic up 307
- Can the receivers fees be allowed for tax? 302
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 258
- Sorry ignore me 248
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 246
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 242