VAT - Is there really any time being given to pay?
I have a client who registered for VAT (15 months late) in September 2009 and has yet to submit a single VAT return / payment along with being behind with his SA tax.
Understandably HMRC are now getting seriously annoyed and have sent bankruptcy letters thretening such action if immediate payment is not paid.
HMRC have made VAT best assessments (which are way too low) and obviously do not take account of the pre-registration liabilities!
The client simply cannot pay this, and is looking for some kind of arrangement.
The amounts involved are as follows;
Pre reg: £45k
Post reg (to March 2011) £27k
Projected quarterly liability £9k (average over year)
I have advised him that he needs to get together some cash to make a lump sum payment if he is going to have any chance of a payment deal for the balance but nowadays even this seems in doubt as HMRC currently seem to be taking a very tough stance over non-payment.
If a payment proposal is made where the taxpayer pays a lump sum of say £15k and £1.5k per week for the next 18 months to clear his existing and estimated ongoing liabilities - Do you think this could be accpetable?
If not, has anybody got any ideas on what may be an acceptable proposal.
We all know that this client has brought on this situation, but I am still professionaly obliged to try and help him!
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 113 7
- Settlement discount 80 4
- Homing sandwiches 399 10
- CT600 63 2
- signature required 463 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 493 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 164 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 155 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 102 2
- Pratice Management Software 70 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 195 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 111 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 180 2
- Related Party Transactions 106 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 96 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 465 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 756 13
- More AE! 761 17
- Web sites 247 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 608 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,235
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 515
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 307
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 235
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 187
- TheTax Donut 178
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 157
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 156