What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 209 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,206 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 332 6
- Go Cardless 366 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 301 3
- Mehjoo 321 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 102 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 358 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 187 4
- SA302 325 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 285 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 213 4
- Hmrc software 249 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 169 1
- Hosted email exchange 185 5
- South African Government Pension 183 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 361 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 325 13
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 252 7
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 204
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 203
- Domain name sale and limited company 177
- CIS schemes 175
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151