What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Should I continue with the ACA? 196 5
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 237 9
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 61 1
- Intangble Assets 64 1
- Foreign Premium Distributions 192 4
- Benefit fraud 3,239 45
- Companies House 624 5
- Who would you nominate for a Practice Excellence Award? 258 4
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 293 11
- Anybody taken part in the Growth Voucher Scheme? 192 6
- How much did you pay for your website 959 20
- RTI Penalties 123 1
- can a CGT transfer be legally cancelled in the future if 340 10
- How to delete of a password protected company? 95 2
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 181 5
- FRS percentage 110 2
- Subsidiary exemption from audit via parent guarantee 94 1
- Can I use the approved mileage rates in a Limited Company? 247 5
- Gross Profit Percentage 553 11
- Companies House 469 8
- CTA study material 629
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 384
- Employment related securities question 235
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 205
- ATED Penalties 205
- AIM Stocks and IHT 183
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 151
- Expat pension contributions? 141
- Trust for Employee 135
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 126