What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 286 7
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 239 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 225 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 91 1
- General tax book with planning 221 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 140 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 188 1
- are receipts needed? 529 14
- Gift of property & improvements 148 3
- VAT Invoice 204 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 277 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 377 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,264 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 309 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 819 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 258 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 174 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 476 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 403 8
- Skandia using wrong address 1,622
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 903
- International interest certificate 514
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 305
- Management expenses for investment company 269
- Bonus Bonds 263
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 177
- P11D benefit received by widow 153
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 148