What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 124 5
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,223 20
- Lease 57 2
- Thin Client recomendation 173 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 168 5
- Digita Hosted Software 373 2
- VAT Office Grimsby 104 2
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 360 8
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 88 2
- format cell to exclude decimals 281 15
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 113 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,262 15
- Homing sandwiches 830 19
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 240 2
- SUSPECTED OR INVALID BENEFIT FRAUD 217 2
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 98 2
- IT advisory questions? 409 11
- Direct debit entry query 155 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 802 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 232 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,295
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 847
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 537
- Credit where credit's due....... 331
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- TheTax Donut 216
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 179
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 165
- Director's business mileage 142
- Sole trader CPD 137