What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 996 31
- Drop Down Boxes 222 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,618 504
- Any other payroll providers transferring from Sage to Moneysoft? 132 1
- Does anyone use quotation software? 578 8
- help needed with rti paye please 135 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 850 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 411 11
- Can't read my handwriting 805 19
- Undeclared rental income 408 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 332 7
- Sick pay 243 6
- Directors self assessment 168 2
- Employer's Helpline 219 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 124 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 191 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,766 70
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,090 8
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 144 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 326 10
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,412
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 540
- National Insurance 439
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 259
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 251
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 166
- Umbrella pay services 144
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 123
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 121