What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Investment from Friend 24 2
- Identity check problem 1,224 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 139 3
- Business Set up cost 87 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 631 12
- Aged Debtor 49 1
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 944 34
- Loss carry back in Taxfiler 69 3
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 757 28
- blank - ignore 487 8
- Part disposal of shareholding with CGT loss attached 80 2
- calculate mortgage interest 348 5
- Do we have to register for VAT? 439 9
- Capital Gains Relief 93 3
- Companies House praise 223 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,060 14
- client can't/won't pay 1,552 27
- Most cr*p bank account ever? 158 1
- Directors NIC's 177 5
- VAT field when booking bills for organisations on VAT FRS 73 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 875
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 571
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 534
- Latest phishing scam 469
- Entrepreneurs' relief 412
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 338
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 317
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 240
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 227
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 163