What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,515 12
- Microsoft One Drive 429 14
- Thinning income 358 4
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 272 6
- Bank Statement Scanning Software? 150 2
- Work to Rented Business Premises 187 1
- Not a question but made my day 1,174 23
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 388 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 1,152 24
- IHT400 or IHT205 - disagree with solicitor 148 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 275 4
- I forgiven loan an Output? 173 2
- V T Software 253 2
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 151 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 355 4
- tax credits 309 4
- Past rental expenses 139 1
- What do do about VAT? 557 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 307 5
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 203 2
- NHS finance professionals 599
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 391
- Foreign Pension Contribution 363
- vat gross profit percentage margins 335
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 326
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 306
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 275
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 234
- Quickbooks online filing of VAT 220
- IFA income recognition & reporting 201