What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 134 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 186 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 72 2
- Director's tax return 161 3
- Tricky VAT question 88 1
- Wrong career 368 15
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 87 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 205 6
- VT accounts licence key 206 5
- Weely paid employees 190 2
- Splitting the tax year 62 1
- FPS Submission 111 2
- PTP software disaster 172 1
- Value pricing 628 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 195 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 110 1
- vat return 210 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 160 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,963 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 160 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 782
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 536
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 406
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 287
- Free Tax Legislation? 242
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 231
- Director Loan account operation 228
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 218
- Paye procedures for CVA 155