What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Setting up a practice 309 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 456 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 413 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 221 1
- Love is in the air 503 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 649 17
- Stamp Duty 291 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 234 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,785 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 545 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 227 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 258 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,023 46
- Client Paperwork Retention? 566 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 573 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 368 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 389 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 450 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 495 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 310 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 300
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 286
- CGT for NOn UK residents 279
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 253
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 221
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 199