What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Follower cases 518 1
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 348 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 116 3
- TheTax Donut 1,088 1
- LIVE chat, starting now 402 1
- Can S455 tax repaid 71 2
- PAYE coding out 48 1
- VAT avoidance? 64 1
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 240 6
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 688 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 647 22
- How to explain this to someone 349 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 140 2
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 58 2
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 698 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 287 4
- Old CGT loss 347 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 312 2
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 175 6
- Start up allowance? 490 13
- Hive up 449
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 417
- corporate hierarchy 406
- Advice - 229
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 199
- Amortisation of Goodwill 195
- WWOOFers 183
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 183
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 167
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 165