What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 74 3
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 488 6
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 183 6
- What does it mean?? 136 2
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 43 2
- Donations/grants by a CIC 163 1
- VAT Registration 379 18
- another ir35!!!! 933 4
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 51 1
- Gifting shares 223 4
- Holding companies 96 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 635 5
- Notes to statutory accounts 176 9
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 59 1
- VAT on motor expenses 841 30
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 157 4
- A question about share structure 163 2
- VAT & Landlords 101 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 196 2
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 338 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,522
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 455
- NOVA 313
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 199
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 197
- Bonus Bonds 197
- Management expenses for investment company 188
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 173
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165