What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 166 5
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 538 11
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 256 6
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 145 2
- Capital Gain? 518 14
- Sell business after leaving country 150 2
- How much to charge? 276 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 190 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 644 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 248 2
- break even point 597 18
- Simple consolidation question 137 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 396 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,008 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 408 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 212 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 303 5
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 192 4
- IHT Query 260 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 448 2
- Possible Partnership? 469
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 444
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 431
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 236
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 231
- New Fangled Penalties 224
- Clubs and Taxable Income 222
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 218
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 194
- Loans to other companies 170