What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 86 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,395 164
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,671 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 323 4
- Property expense - legal fees 85 2
- OBK 136 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,702 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 60 2
- What type of Trust? 84 1
- Dormant Company 111 2
- Accounting for a VAT Group 93 2
- Research expenses for authors 229 4
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 765 16
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 118 2
- Company Loan to associated company 72 1
- VAT on “Reimbursement” from third parties 143 5
- CLG exempt under s60 153 3
- Late VAT registration penalty 177 4
- How to consolidate an LLP? 227 7
- How to account for VAT on a newbuild that has been let 192 4
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 505
- Skandia using wrong address 455
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 243
- Employee rewards 242
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 211
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 190
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 185
- Etax Australian 155