What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,440 42
- Yorkshire Day 407 28
- Company Director In Prison 574 13
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,233 23
- Update workbook linkage without opening source 176 6
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 79 3
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 247 6
- Dividend dates 637 11
- calculation DTR restriction 175 5
- Deleted question? 365 4
- MAAT vs ACCA 589 11
- Flat rate VAT 293 6
- Redundancy pay for directors? 1,268 15
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,834 72
- CRM systems? 104 2
- Accountancy Career 559 13
- Help with HMRC investigation 535 9
- Vat on Payments on Account 156 3
- Estate agents - shared commission 203 5
- E-Magazines and pdfs 91 1
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 560
- Cancelled 449
- Cancelled 374
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 368
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 346
- Probiz 345
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 251
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 222
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 219
- More spam 174