What to do?
New client (partnership) has came to us after many years with old accountant.
the partnership is in the business of lending money on short term loans and making commissions on cashing cheques...you know the type.
Anyway. the client has been reporting £250k business profits every year for a while now.
When we review the debtor book and discuss this with client it is clear that significant debts need to be written off. We have indentified £800k of debts that relate back to many years ago! (bank debt increasing should have been a clue you would have thought).
The accounts for the current year show a loss of £700k!
I beleive that the previous agent was negligible and there may or may not be a report to governing body and / or a PII claim instigated, however I dont wish to get into that just now.
My question is what can we do about this loss?
Does this fit in with the new "overpayment relief" (formerly error or mistake)? Is this a change of accounting policy? Is this a current year write off subject to normal carry back 12 months and carry forward rules?
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 493 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 276 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 516 16
- can I claim a per diem 236 5
- EC VAT 191 7
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 131 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,360 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 235 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 235 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 59 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 269 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 524 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 823 19
- Flat rate vat error 299 6
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 147 3
- Linux Accounting Software 557 13
- RTI due -no broadband 149 1
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 102 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 119 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 903 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 822
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 224
- Tax efficient holding company structure 219
- Investment property company accounts template 215
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177